Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anatomy of a sportster muffler (Read 150 times)
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Anatomy of a sportster muffler
04/20/09 at 05:10:30

For those who might want to know.

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Anatomy of a sportster muffler
Reply #1 - 04/20/09 at 05:35:39

Is that the anatomy of a Sportster muffler, or the anatomy of half of a Sportster muffler?

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #2 - 04/20/09 at 05:37:04

Ha ha.  The cut was made at the point where the rear taper starts.

IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 04/20/09 at 06:25:12

That's interesting.  I have 2 sportster muffler's that I won on Ebay a few weeks back.  I'm going to mount one on mine to a little better sound.  I also noticed that the ones I have (from a 1200) both are completely blocked with the baffle?  Is that normal?  I went ahead and drilled a 1/2" hole in the middle to hopefully get a better flow and sound through it.  

-Matt

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #4 - 04/20/09 at 06:51:33

matt_savage wrote on 04/20/09 at 06:25:12:
...  I also noticed that the ones I have (from a 1200) both are completely blocked with the baffle?  Is that normal?  I went ahead and drilled a 1/2" hole in the middle to hopefully get a better flow and sound through it.  
-Matt

Yep, that blockage you are referring to is what I indicated in the first pic as the "middle plate".

IP Logged
matt

da na na na na
mattman

Winter Springs, FL
Reply #5 - 04/20/09 at 10:04:51

IS that white insulation stuff ( kinda looks like fiber glass material, first pic item at bottom ) important??

Reason i ask is that i have a supertrap on mine, it was making a rattle that drove me nuts! i decided to investigate so i took out the baffle and that insulation stuff was like barley there...

Some of the material got so hot (im assuming here) small peices hardened and were rattling around in there like a bunch of small rocks. i took what little bit that was left out (about half of it) i didnt think it would be doing its job or it would at least half assed one lol.

should i replace that? what does that stuff do anyway?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 04/20/09 at 10:20:42

Very interesting,... thanks DJ.....
Gonna' do some studyin' and thinkin'.....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #7 - 04/20/09 at 10:24:29

I've seen my share up muffler packing and I was quite impressed with the sportster's setup.  That is probably the most dense packing I've seen in a muffler.  It's wrapped on itself almost 3 times around so only a small section of it is actually exposed.  Plus, I can see by the quality of the fiberglass used and by the design of the retainer tube that a bike will wear out before this packing does.  

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #8 - 04/20/09 at 10:47:58

diamond jim wrote on 04/20/09 at 10:24:29:
I've seen my share up muffler packing and I was quite impressed with the sportster's setup.  That is probably the most dense packing I've seen in a muffler.  It's wrapped on itself almost 3 times around so only a small section of it is actually exposed.  Plus, I can see by the quality of the fiberglass used and by the design of the retainer tube that a bike will wear out before this packing does.  

Maybe the packing will last forever, but that baffle doesn't!  Blew mine out around.. hmm.. 25k miles?  Fortunately, the mufflers are free at the HD place if you schmooze nicely with them and ask em to save some takeoffs for you.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 21:16:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Anatomy of a sportster muffler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.