Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
air filter question (Read 328 times)
Gort
Ex Member

Re: air filter question
Reply #15 - 04/21/09 at 10:01:33

Air turbulence and its effect on engine performance is a science.  Engineers trained in the subject design intake systems to best suit a particular engine, and then extensively test their designs using very expensive equipment in a controlled lab environment. This is necessary because all the conditions have to be the same, for accurate comparisons of different designs.  Changing a design and then taking the vehicle out on the road to 'see if it runs better', ignores all the differences you will encounter each time you take the vehicle out on the road, such as wind resistance, barometric conditions, varying temperatures of the engine, traffic and road conditions, inconsistencies in the way the driver operates the vehicle, and more.  I installed a cheap cone filter right on the carb just because I like the noise, and noticed no difference in performance from the stock configuration.  Add Lancer's fine jet set and a Harley muffler, and you will feel a difference.  But for me, changing to a cone made no difference, and although a dynamometer and flow-meter would probably show a difference since the cone affects turbulence, it isn't enough on this bike for me to notice.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #16 - 04/21/09 at 10:01:40

Yep.  The tube makes a big difference.  The stock airbox is a performance compromise and a direct pod filter on the carb is a performance compromise.  They both work great and do their intended jobs well but both designs are at complete opposite ends of the spectrum.  However, having the tube with a freer breathing filter puts you in between.  Such a design is surprisingly sensitive to very small changes.  I was quite rewarded when I matched the tube and filter design to my riding style.  It made the biggest difference performace-wise thus far than any other mod I've done.  It doesn't take much work to get the design "almost there".  It's the fine tuning that requires patience.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 04/21/09 at 10:07:20

Would it be hard to put a sleeve on a tube so the length could be adjusted just by sliding the sleeve in or out on the tube?
Would there be a scientific approach to determine the volume or length of the tube?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #18 - 04/21/09 at 10:19:07

Ha ha, Gort!  I knew you'd chime in with the "gotta see it on paper, tested this particular way using this particular test equipment that lives up to these particular standards or else it can't be recognized and any information reported otherwise is worthless" mentality.  

Wolf, it's your bike.  Do whatever you want.   Research stuff if you want to know.  You don't have to just take mine or anyone's elses opinion.  If your bike makes you grin then the mods are a success.  

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 04/21/09 at 10:35:18

Nonsense.   For many, many years amateurs who think they know better, dismantle or change what the designers of a vehicle spent great sums of $ and time developing, then test the change under un-controlled conditions, and then claim their re-design to be superior.  This is not new and there have been endless articles about this problem over many years.  One of the most famous was the assumption that if you remove an air cleaner from an engine, it runs better, or if you install an air-scoop, you get more power, and so on and so on.  When someone on this site asks an opinion, and if I have the facts to back mine up, I will offer it.  Its wrong to mis-lead someone who is seeking help with unproven advice.  Thats how mis-information spreads.

IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #20 - 04/21/09 at 11:34:32

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/21/09 at 10:07:20:
Would it be hard to put a sleeve on a tube so the length could be adjusted just by sliding the sleeve in or out on the tube?
Would there be a scientific approach to determine the volume or length of the tube?

A few bikes have electronically controlled variable length inlet 'trumpets'.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 04/21/09 at 11:52:05

Good point Gort. With the Savage we have a frame built to create the dimensions/geometry & hold all the main parts in the right places to make it all fit. The frame has a given amount of room for the air box. I am betting the intake design is as good a compromise they could come up with that would feed the engine & fit in the frame. The intake noise has to be controlled for the Goobs to approve the bike for sale.
Well, I gotta go, Ill finish later.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #22 - 04/21/09 at 18:39:40

Just experiment.  If the bike runs better, great.  I believe you are capable of telling if there is a difference or not.  When we shave the white spacer, change the fork oil weight, mod the exhaust, add a fork brace, etc., we don't need to go and have special testing done to prove to ourselves that it runs better.  At least I don't.  If you can tell a difference on your bike, well, that's good enough for me.   

Play around with the intake.   I messed around with mine for several weeks.  No mod has ever held my attention for as long as the intake mod did.  Were it not for the results I experienced on my bike when I first started the intake mods, I never would have had the enthusiasm to keep experimenting nor posting results.  I would have been riding instead.  But the results surpised the heck out of me on my bike.  I made so many devices and setups for testing and experimenting with the different intake designs that I've got science experiments built for the three kid's science fair projects for the next 5 years!  

I posted that no one would likely believe it and I was right.  But I reported what I experienced with my bike.  Maybe my exhaust, carb setup, intake setup, environment I ride and riding style all work together in some kind of funky harmony.  I don't know. But I do know that I love it and ain't ever going back no matter what somebody else extrapolates from a book about car engine tuning or a website that promotes a sponsors air filter by saying it performed best in testing.  I've bought enough pipes and fuel processors that were "proven" to make a difference that didn't seem to do much for me.  

If you experiment and say it runs better for you and you want to share it then I believe you.  You're not selling anything.  You've got no stake in it.  You've got nothing to gain or lose.  Experiment and if you want to share the results then do so.  That's how we've developed a collection of awesome mods like raising the seat, shaving the white spacer, modding the cam chain adjuster, swapping to a chain drive, etc.  People were willing to try something new, discovered some cool results and shared them, each with their own naysayers.  It kind of reminds me of my seat mod on my S40 and other bikes- they say it can't be comfortable.  I love it and it works great for me.  

It somewhat reminds me of my work-  a woman has 15 years experience in my specialty field but becuase she dosn't have certain letters after her name others try to tell me she's not capable of teaching students how to do the job.  That's ironic cause she's one of the best around.  Similarly, how many of us are certified and credentialed motorcycle mechanics?  I guess that means very, very few of us are qualified to work on our bikes or are capable of determining if the work we do improves the bike or not.  

But back to the intake- I'm glad many of you helped me out with the intake mod via some very helpful feedback.  

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 04/21/09 at 21:55:48

DJ, why take offense at posts that are in response to questions from other members?  No one is addressing you with a criticism.  What do you care what other peoples' opinions are, so long as they are not attacking you?   Why accuse others as "naysayers" or as "chiming in" just because their opinions differ from yours?  Why not just state your opinion, back it up with links or whatever test results or info/pics you may have, and leave it at that?  I'm sure everyone here appreciates the efforts you go to post your info and pictures.  Myself, I respect members like you who contribute, because they do so for no other reason than to try and help other members.  Whether or not someone agrees with the subject presented in the contribution, they have to give the contributor credit for his efforts.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 03:18:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › air filter question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.