Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
for those who have flat black paint. (Read 232 times)
il67bp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

for those who have flat black paint.
04/19/09 at 11:54:22

I have flat black and satin painted on my bike and I love the look but it just chips too easily and if I get gas on it, it leaves stains and rubs off. What kind of clearcoat can I use or some way to prevent this but still keep the bike satin or flat and not glossy?

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Re: for those who have flat black paint.
Reply #1 - 04/19/09 at 12:12:45

They make clear coats that come in satin/Flat.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
il67bp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/19/09 at 12:21:51

I've been told that only. Polyurathane clearr coat would resist gas. Are all polyurathane ones glossy? And where caÑ I get it? They have the. Glossy. One. At the.dealer forty  dollars.  A pint

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/19/09 at 12:31:16

If you don't mind starting over, remove the paint down to the metal/plastic, prime with a 1 or 2 component epoxy primer, then a 2 part epoxy or polyurethane top coat.  You used to be able to get 2 part epoxy & polyurethane Chemical Agent Resistant Coating (CARC) military surplus paint off sources on the 'Net, cheap.  Comes in flat, semi gloss and gloss. It was painted on tanks and trucks in Operation Desert Storm, so that if the enemy dropped chemicals or poisons on us, they would wash right off.  I've used it on 2 cars, a truck and a huge trailer. Gasoline, brake fluid and oil won't harm it.  I used to wash the cars with Comet cleanser and that didn't affect it either.  Once you use this, you are done painting the bike for life.  I used to buy it from "Western Resources", but I don't see them on the 'Net anymore.  They sold it by the quart or gallon, and for about $25.00 per gallon, but this was 5 years ago.  Once mixed, you can apply it using the spray kits you can buy cheap at hardware stores.  They consist of a refillable spray bottle and cans of pressured air, and a small spray head attachment.  You pour the paint in the bottle, screw it onto the spay head, screw on the spray canister, and you have an instant spay can of your paint.

IP Logged
il67bp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/19/09 at 13:08:55

Yea I actually have it all sanded down right now so I will try that out

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/19/09 at 14:47:06

If I may suggest, make sure the paint you buy is a 2 part epoxy or polyurethane, and if possible, get the CARC formula.   There are a lot of ads for 'military paint' on the 'Net which are nothing more than plain old enamel colored to look military.

Also, of course wipe the metal down with lacquer thinner or acetone before priming.  Beware of water based metal preps.  Some have Phosphoric acid in them, which leaves a white residue on the metal.  You need to wipe that white dust off with lacquer thinner otherwise it provides a loose surface for the primer to adhere too.  Also, don't use paint thinner to clean the metal.  Today's environmentally friendly paint thinner leaves a microscopic oily residue behind, which is not best for primer adhesion.

IP Logged
Hard Corps

Freedom is worth
facing your fears

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #6 - 04/20/09 at 13:08:56

I've gotta agree with GORT.  I have M1009 CUCV (Military Chevy K5 Blazer) with the CARC paint.  It's impervious to fuel and chemical spills and is also highly scratch resistant.  Word of caution- the stuff is toxic.  Use a proper respirator when spraying the stuff.  Sherwin Williams is one of the only places to get it on the civilian market.  Acetone is the preferred paint prep chemical in the military (in my experience).

Black 2003, Bare-bones, Somewhere along Route 66, Marine Corps Sergeant
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/20/09 at 13:29:28

Thanks for that, HC.  I've been wondering where to get some more CARC.   I used my last 2 gallons painting 4X4X8 pine fence posts before we set them 2' in the ground.  I did that about 8 years ago with a friend and his posts still look like new with absolutely no rot.  And you are right to warn against the toxicity.  The stuff I used stank bad with a sweet chemical odor, and when I painted his fence posts, his neighbor could smell them for 3 days.

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #8 - 04/20/09 at 18:03:43

Truck bed liner paint in spray cans is what I used. Gas doesn't do anything to it. Looks pretty good too. Flat black.

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
il67bp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 04/20/09 at 18:15:45

Does the bed liner dry rough or smooth?

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #10 - 04/20/09 at 18:46:13

Dries with a texture to it. Also has a bit of a sparkle to it (sand?). If I park somewhere, people are always touching it.

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
Reply #11 - 04/20/09 at 21:27:59

the nice part about flat is when it gets scratched just touch it up, you cant see a color difference as long as you use the same can. (did it all last summer.) i was real carefull about filling the tank, used a rag to catch the drips....

dont use high temp flat, it dries almost greyish. i used it on the exhaust only and it looks sweet!

IP Logged
sakara
2005 No Login

Thumpalicious

Lockport, NY
Reply #12 - 04/21/09 at 07:31:14

clueless, happen to have a pic of your ride?

Alliance Member

'86 Thumper bobber rat project.
sakara   IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #13 - 04/21/09 at 08:15:13

Powdercoat the thing. Porus paint gets eaten by gas ...
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 07:27:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › for those who have flat black paint.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.