Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
leaking petcock? (Read 116 times)
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
leaking petcock?
04/19/09 at 00:06:03

so i looked through about 18 pages and i know we talked about this but cant find it.....

when my tank was off and the pet thingy was in the ON position it dribbles gas....is this normal or do i rebuild or replace it? (my new fear after flooding the bike 3 times.) i have 2 petcocks and they both seem the same but i thought i read that vacuum opens the petcock to allow fuel to flow......

(no raptor petcock replies!....lol)

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: leaking petcock?
Reply #1 - 04/19/09 at 01:30:33

In the On & Reserve positions, no fuel should pass without vacuum.
Sumthin aint right if it is.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #2 - 04/19/09 at 10:55:59

just to the mod and get rid of the vac line.....just have to turn the petcockoff when you stop...you know, like the olden days.

Because I can!
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 04/19/09 at 11:12:42

Yea, the mod was rather easy.  

Basically, you block off the PRI position so that it is the off, and remove the diaphram valve portion of the petcock.

optionally I made a flat plate the replace the the vacuum port on the petcock.

If you don't have time to do this,  run to a lawnmower repair shop and get a in-line fuel shutoff valve, and  pulg the vacuum line with a screw/bolt.  (both sides)

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
Reply #4 - 04/19/09 at 11:43:44

Thanks guys! ill tear down one of the two and see whats causing the problem....then ill try the mod.

i knew something wasnt right

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #5 - 04/19/09 at 11:50:52

to answer the original question, the dribble is not what you want...lol. either the vac valve is cruddy, or damaged..... either fix entails disassembly(clean or replace diaphram), so the suggestion to convert to manual operation, or a raptor petcock is valid.... the inline shutoff is not the best idea for this... if the diaphram is damaged, then a further failure will result in leaking gas into the vac port and hose.... not so good.... dont apply a bandaid, fix the problem.... and here's my secret for gasket and diaphram emergency replacement(more of a gasket maker in this case), do the on-off-reserve conversion, and use roof membrane to make the gasket to block the vacport.... i carry a square in my toolbox for emergencies.... resistant to gas, diesel, oil, hydraulic oil.... so far, the diaphrams made from it have lasted a few years, and taken 150 psi regularly (portable diesel compressors, ala for a jackhammer).... can really help the day come out brighter...lol

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 04/19/09 at 15:34:40

Roof membrane? I dont know much about construction. I thought they used tar-paper.Or, is that ancient stuff & now theres a better product?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #7 - 04/19/09 at 15:42:02

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/19/09 at 15:34:40:
Roof membrane? I dont know much about construction. I thought they used tar-paper.Or, is that ancient stuff & now theres a better product?

Hmmm... I think roof membrane is the commerical flat roof stuff.  The stuff they put hot tar and then stones on.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #8 - 04/19/09 at 16:23:36

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/19/09 at 15:34:40:

sorry, forgot the whole world doesnt "jack of all trades"... it's a synthetic rubber sheeting, around 1/16" thick.... more or less depending on guage... these days lots of commercial rooves are bare membrane, no tar or stones... usually white or black... stuff is durable like it was made on krypton!! ive used it for gaskets, operating diaphrams, even used it to rebuild a seriously antique fuel pump on a toyota forklift from before the flood.... next time you see roofers at a shopping center, ask for a big scrap... roofing membrane, jb weld, and duct tape are what seperate us from the apes...lol

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 04/20/09 at 09:15:34

Ill get some O  that, thanks.

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #10 - 04/21/09 at 00:45:14

Don't shoot!  Smiley
I know you didn't want any raptor replies; but if you're going to mod the original petcock, you might want to look into the Raptor. It makes getting the tank on and off sooooo much less a chore than having to wrestle the tank off with the stock petcock on.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
Reply #11 - 04/21/09 at 05:23:16

well, its easy enough (for me) so the tank came off....

just a update, i took mine apart and found the prob. the o-ring attached to the diaphragm was flat and didn't seal so i replaced it and you never guess what happened.....it didn't leak anymore! thinking of you guys i was snapping pics through the whole thing and i will post them to show how simple it was to fix it rather than purchasing or modding the problem. (not that that's a bad thing) but for under a dollar i was safe and happy again....

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 09:33:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › leaking petcock?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.