Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The tire whisperer- dark side info (Read 402 times)
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The tire whisperer- dark side info
04/18/09 at 10:27:28

I just mounted for the thrid time a darkside tire onto a Savage rim. It seems to get more difficult each time.
Getting the tire onto the rim is a piece of cake with large Harley spoons That I have been using for many years. Gettin the bead to seat is a whole nother problem. Those of you who have done this know where of I speak.
Recently one of my friends completely exploded a tire trying to do this. It tore right through the bead and ripped about 6 inches up the sidewall.  After cleaning his pants he showed me the results.
It was scarey to look at.
Number one rule. Never try to mount a darkside tire if it is a brand X  cheapo. The rubber quality and the quality of the cords leaves much to be desired.
My present choice for the Savage, it a 135 Michilin 15 inch.
While it is true that the original tire is a 145, the 135 darkside has a much greater footprint without being too wide for the swingarm.
As for the problem getting the bead to seat, The higher quality of rubber has a teensy bit more stretchability that is needed.
I use a silicone spray for a mounting lubricant. When air is pumped in the bead always lacks about 25% of its' diameter from seating properly. Deflate totaly and re lubricate and pump up again.  If you reach a stage where it simply will not bead any further, do this.
Use an acid brush to apply Crisco, ( yes common veenerschlider), to the part of the bead that will not take. Brush some onto the rim at that point too. DO NOT DO THE WHOLE TIRE WITH THIS STUFF! Only the section that refuses to take a bead. Re pressure and it should work. If it does not you must have a different expression on your face.
Using the Crisco for the whole rim may cause the tire to slip on hard accelleration or braking causing the tube to be torn at the stem.
I choose Crisco because a petroleum product may cause the rubber to deteriorate, whereas the Crisco is a vegatable product that is much less likely to do this.
Darkside tires are excellent for sidecar or trike usage but for two wheeled riding I consider them dangereous.

Phelonius Cool Cool Cool

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Re: The tire whisperer- dark side info
Reply #1 - 04/18/09 at 18:56:46

I put my B. F. Goody 155/80 Radial TA on the back of my Sav last fall. It was a chore and a half getting it over the last little bit of the rim. Getting the bead to pop however was no sweat. I used a lot of dish detergent, and a sailor's vocabulary to get it mounted and I can only assume that all that soap at least made things pop into place. Maybe all the stretch of the bead with tire irons and such loosened things up a bit too.

I'm not one to want to put anything greasy on there. I know the soap will wash away pretty quickly, but don't trust all that other stuff to go away nicely. And as for silicon, well that just scares me.

As an after thought, I wonder if ye olde hair dryer on high might just let things stretch just the extra bit more to help get the bead over the rim and/or the bead to pop with the air hose pumping. Hmmm . . . After all they laughed at B. Franklin for flying his kite in the rain.

Jack

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 04/19/09 at 03:27:30

Yep, we tend to forget about the darksiders because they don't have say very much after the tire is in place.

Jack, I found something else to like about the BF Goodrich tire you put on your bike -- it has a full 12/32" of tread on it unlike the 9/32 that some VW tires have nowadays.

It should be a very long lasting tire.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/19/09 at 14:28:19

This being the third darksider I have mounted, I have found no problems with the silicone spray. This is the first time I resorted to Crisco and only in the one spot that was so stubborn.
I think I will buy an electric heat gun. That sounds like it would really help.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #4 - 04/19/09 at 21:00:13

Don't know that I would go the heat gun route. Those puppies put out a lot of heat quickly. Having seen paint bubble and plastic drip in a very few seconds I think I would stick to something a little lower in power potential. A 1,600 watt or so hair dryer with low/medium/high settings would probably keep you from weakening the rubber from temperature fatigue. More like running hot water on a stuck jar lid and less like a chainsaw for brain surgery. I don't want more than one contact point with the road, at least until/if I ever go the sidecar direction.

Jack

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 04/19/09 at 22:56:42

Hmmm... hot water sounds like the way to go to me.

You can put a hose right on the drain.

WWW   IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/20/09 at 09:37:44

verslagen1 wrote on 04/19/09 at 22:56:42:
Hmmm... hot water sounds like the way to go to me.

You can put a hose right on the drain.

Hmmm, sounds good. Put a big pot of water on the fire and cook the tire

Phelonius
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 04/28/09 at 10:05:18

Been reading up on "tire soaking".  It's a method of softening a tire for extra grip.  Paint thinner, tolulene, or acetone applied in various combinations.  Said to drop shore hardness by 10.  And is said to burn off in 10 laps, tires have to wrapped to prevent the fluids from evaporating and loosing the effectiveness.

So knowing that we need a softer bead temporarily to be able to seat the tire on the rim, would this be an effective method to "soak" the bead prior to installation?

WWW   IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #8 - 04/28/09 at 10:18:58

I think the softener you're talking about is for making the rubber sticky. Bleach does the same thing, works great on car tires on ice. But is it the rubber that's the problem getting the bead to seat? Or is it the metal cords that the rubber is built up on to make the bead? Rubber stretches pretty easily, but getting a 1/8"-1/4" or so of stretch out of those steel bands might be our problem.

I still don't get why my bead just popped into place with the gas station air pump so nicely. Seems most folks have some trouble. Unless it's due to all the stretching and pulling I had to do to just get it on the rim in the first place. Maybe it's good that I won't have to be changing it again for "ever".

Jack

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 04/28/09 at 12:03:50

My concern with going darkside is if you get a flat, who's going to work on an unrecommended tire for you?

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 04/28/09 at 13:25:54

Same person that put it on in the first place, I guess.  

You will still be dealing with a "tube issue" at the heart of all things, so that is unchanged from a standard tire.   Once you get the tire on the rim it conforms to the rim again without any hassle if you have to take it off and put it back.

It's been over 2 years for me so I am getting kinda rusty -- what exactly is it that you have to do to rear tires anyway?

..... ????  .....  ????   (must be some sort of trick question, maybe)

????

??

Oh yeah -- measure the tread depth & mileage and project how many years you have left before you have to mess with it again.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 04/28/09 at 14:18:49

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 04/28/09 at 13:25:54:
Same person that put it on in the first place, I guess.  

You will still be dealing with a "tube issue" at the heart of all things, so that is unchanged from a standard tire.   Once you get the tire on the rim it conforms to the rim again without any hassle if you have to take it off and put it back.

It's been over 2 years for me so I am getting kinda rusty -- what exactly is it that you have to do to rear tires anyway?

Oh, that idiot again...  Grin
The 1st tire I changed, besides nearly killing me, ruined a tube so took it to the dealer and paid for anouther tube, killt twice by the same tire.
But now I have access to a tire machine, will have to see if will do m/c tires   Grin
Right now I have 3 sets of tires to wear out.  Might make it to winter w/o having to buy tires.

WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #12 - 04/28/09 at 21:52:31

Come on guys this type of crap will really screw up a newbie - yous need an alchemy room

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 04/28/09 at 22:35:11

Darth Oldfeller, do you take an average depth or just where ever?

WWW   IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #14 - 05/05/09 at 07:52:57

I think those of us who survive the "wide tire" experiment should have a T-shirt or something. We need a "DarkSider" logo design contest. Of course the shirt would wear out before the tire does, but who said life was fair.

Jack

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 00:33:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › The tire whisperer- dark side info

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.