Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Polish/Rust Remover? (Read 104 times)
littlefights

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Polish/Rust Remover?
04/17/09 at 19:44:07

I've got a few small spots of rust - mostly on the handlebars/controls and couple of spots on the forks.  Anybody have a preference for a specific brand of a polish or rust remover?

IP Logged
DocNeedles

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

British Columbia
Re: Polish/Rust Remover?
Reply #1 - 04/17/09 at 20:25:02

Someone suggested to me to use kerosene and the finest of steel wools on my muffler and exhaust and it seems to work.
DocNeedles

IP Logged
eyeore302000
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lexington, SC
Reply #2 - 04/17/09 at 20:33:54

Sounds crazy but I have used GUNK carberator cleaner. Usually the stuff you buy in the gallon paint can with the dip basket. Don't know why but I tried it once and with some light steel wool it works great. Give it a shot.

87 savage burgandy 2200 miles my first bobber project !! 2001 savage black 7000 miles !! 2004 savage purple 13,000 miles (my first savage) !! 2005 S40 7600 miles (my full dresser) !!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 04/17/09 at 20:44:12

I just read that diatomaceous earth works for a metal polish. Light rust on chrome would be an easy job for lots of things. A brass brush works on chrome, steel wire scratches it.Once you get it all cleaned up, Hit it with some Ospho, a dilute phosphoric acid & kill the rust. It turns iron oxide into iron phosphate & it stops it from growing.

Available from Kelly-Moore paint store, dont get the gel. A quart is about $12.00 & lasts a mighty long time.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/17/09 at 21:56:57

You might try a small wad of aluminium foil. It will cut out the rust but is softer than the chrome so it will not scratch. Any small pits get filled in with the foil and prevent air from starting the rust back up. I have used it on bumpers for years. I will last a year or more. Now where did I leave that left over pizza?

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/17/09 at 22:03:32

Phosphoric acid dissolves non-ferrous metals, so you might first determine if Suzuki put a base plating of nickel or copper under the chrome. Good chrome has this base plating, cheap chrome doesn't.  The acid can get under the top layer of chrome through the rust area, and eat away at the base plating, thus causing the good chrome to peel.  In any case, Cola soft drinks eat away rust because some contain phosphoric acid, and you can drink what you don't use:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Chrome-Polishing,-Mythbusters-Style/

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 04/17/09 at 22:35:11

Its very dilute & instructions are to wash it off after it turns the rust black.I doubt it would be any worse than rust growing.

The phosphoric acid in colas pulls calcium from bones, some of it will be replaced by the fluoride in water. Can you say osteoporosis?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #7 - 04/19/09 at 13:20:08

I like Noxon metal polish.  Works great. It can be found at hardware stores or on eBay.   Great on chrome, but also great on aluminum.

Also Weiman Metal polish (AutoZone) seem to work well.   I noticed that the Weiman helps reduce the blueing on the chrome.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 14:26:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Polish/Rust Remover?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.