Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dying on Deceleration ??  UPDATE: 4 - 19 (Read 193 times)
SavRon

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Dying on Deceleration ??  UPDATE: 4 - 19
04/17/09 at 17:35:09

Here are the Stats:

Stock '01 w/ 5300 miles.  New Fuel Line and Vac Line, Fresh Gas, Air/Fuel Mix screw out 1 1/2 turns CCW, Idle screw set good, not loping.

Took the bike out for a spin tonight and while slowing to cross some RR Tracks she garbled, flooded and started to stall. Pulled clutch and revved engine and she took hold. Came up to stop sign, and same thing. Turned into my driveway and she died. Wouldn't start unless throttle was opened up quite a bit.

Its like she's flooding out for some reason. It did this last year sometimes also. Not only during slowing but also while running. Is the float not adjusted right, dirty carb etc.....HELP

I don't think its anything serious, but I hate running down the road and she's trying to stall now and then.

« Last Edit: 04/19/09 at 15:41:21 by SavRon »  
  IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Re: Dying on Deceleration ??
Reply #1 - 04/17/09 at 17:55:31

You sure it is flooding? Try running on "prime" and see what happens.  I still get this occasionally, but just flip it to prime. Also had a loose terminal on the battery. Was negative or ground side. At freeway speeds it ran like it was flooding. Took a bit to find that one!

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #2 - 04/17/09 at 20:55:32

Sav,

If you suspect a rich condition is causing your problem, especially if the problem is intermittent, try this:

Crimp the petcock vacuum line shut, completely shut.  Select PRI on the petcock and ride the bike around.  If you no longer experience the problem, you might suspect the petcock diaphragm.

Be sure and move the petcock valve out of PRI before walking away from the bike.

Report back.

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 04/19/09 at 13:27:49

Do you have a tach?   I noticed that mine (also an '01) will do that if the RPM's are around 1000 to 1100.  Especially if it's not at operating temp.    I solve it by running the idle at 1200.  

I did notice that idle starts around 1200, drops down to 1100 or even 1050 (PITA stalling at lights & stop signs),  then after 10 minutes of riding it will be at 1200 again.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
SavRon

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #4 - 04/19/09 at 15:40:12

Well,  seems it was just a carb issue. Dumped a 3rd bottle of carb cleaner in with a tank of fresh gas and put about 75 miles on her yesterday,,, with NO Problems. Turned the idle up just a tad.

She acted up for about the first 15 - 20 miles then smoothed right out.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 04/19/09 at 20:22:51

SavRon wrote on 04/19/09 at 15:40:12:
 Well,  seems it was just a carb issue. Dumped a 3rd bottle of carb cleaner in with a tank of fresh gas and put about 75 miles on her yesterday,,, with NO Problems. Turned the idle up just a tad.

She acted up for about the first 15 - 20 miles then smoothed right out.

What did you use as cleaner. Or other question: What is the best gas treatment out ther to use?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Dying on Deceleration ??  UPDATE: 4 - 19
Reply #6 - 04/19/09 at 20:53:08

glad you got the problem solved, or did you?

I would clean it completely.  Putting an eyeball in every port.

WWW   IP Logged
Hard Corps

Freedom is worth
facing your fears

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #7 - 04/20/09 at 12:59:44

ralfyguy wrote on 04/19/09 at 20:22:51:
What did you use as cleaner. Or other question: What is the best gas treatment out ther to use?

SEA FOAM is our friend.  You can pick it up at any automotive store for $6-8.  I run an ounce every couple tanks just to keep things from gunking up.

Black 2003, Bare-bones, Somewhere along Route 66, Marine Corps Sergeant
  IP Logged
SavRon

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #8 - 04/20/09 at 15:00:31

I looked for Sea Foam at Auto Zone with no luck. Just grabbed a bottle of STP Carb & Fuel Injector cleaner. 1 bottle will treat 15 - 20 gal. of gas. I figured 1/3rd. bottle in the Suzy would be more than a concentrated dose.

With the bike being stock and without any work done to it, no doubt the carb was dirty. Its definetely running better than it was Friday.  Smiley

~Ron

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 04/20/09 at 15:03:41

wally world has seafoam too.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #10 - 04/20/09 at 17:12:32

The walmrats here have stopped carrying it for some reason or another. Advance auto and Oriley's have it that I have seen. Seafoam is pretty expensive and Berrymen's B-12 does a super great job and can be had for over half the cost. They usually carry it at walmrat and such. Comes in a spray can or a pour bottle.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 13:18:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dying on Deceleration ??  UPDATE: 4 - 19

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.