Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Front/Handlebar Wobbles (Read 393 times)
matt

da na na na na
mattman

Winter Springs, FL
Front/Handlebar Wobbles
04/17/09 at 10:59:44

Hello savages, i have run into my first issue with the bike.

I was able to take the bike up to speed on the highway and notice the handlebars wobbling back and forth.

It happens at 70-75+mph.

When it happens i slow down a little and it will stop. As my speed increases it will begin to wobble again.

When i get home im goign to check tire air pressure. I also want to have the tires checked to make sure it is properly balanced.

Any other clues or suggestions to why this might be happening. Can this casue any major damage or throw other components off?

TIA

Also, before i had some knocking noises or ticking coming from engine but not sure where. I was using 87 octane fuel. I changed to 93 added a little lucas and now the noise is gone. I have refueld twice with 93(no lucas) and noise seems to cease. Not sure if the octane or lucas helped me out or just a coincedance.... hmm -- ill keep an ear out for that.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Front/Handlebar Wobbles
Reply #1 - 04/17/09 at 11:09:17

The Savage is a low compression engine and shouldn't need a high octane gas,.. so maybe the Lucas cleared it up.
High speed wobble is not a problem with this bike, but it is a light bike and the front end will get lighter at speed, so you may just be feeling normal road surface wiggle amplified by speed.  If you have a windshield it can lighten the front even more...
If it's an old bike, jack up the front and wiggle the fork side to side to check the steering stem bearings... and you're already checking the tires,... if you get the front off the ground, you can basically check the tire balance yourself by spinning the wheel and seeing where it comes to rest,... if it always stops at the same place, it's out of balance.. bad tire balance will usually cause more of a pogo feeling than a wobble..

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 04/17/09 at 11:17:55

Apply front brake & push & pull on the handlebars. If there is a "click", the bearings arent okay.
Do you have a fork brace? Highly recommended.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #3 - 04/17/09 at 14:32:41

If the front end checks out ok, get the fork brace. I put one on this spring, and the diference is night & day. It really smooths out the front end jiggles at hi-way speed. Also,  any effects from small ruts etc. in the pavement tend to be minimized.  Aboutely, money well spent.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 04/17/09 at 14:52:12

front wheel balenced?

WWW   IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #5 - 04/17/09 at 15:48:14

if your tire is reasonably balanced, your pressures are ok, you lift the front and dont feel any slack in the neck, it leaves only a couple things... swingarm bushings(unlikely, causes more of a "crabwalk"),or a problem noted on panhead and earlier harleys... neck bearings too tight....just like a car's wheelbearings, a steering neck needs just a tiny bit of slack.... if you can feel it, it's too much...according to clymer, initial torque to 29-36 ft lbs, turn neck lock to lock 5 or 6 times, then back stem nut off 1/4 to 1/2 turn... have you checked your spokes? if none of this shows anything wrong, then pull and measure fork springs... a bud with a virago got a vicious 90 mph deathwobble from one being 1/4 inch shorter than the other....
edit: just checked the front-end section of the clymer....could also be the springseat for the top spacer being assembled in the wrong spot, or missing.... check how they're stacked if you get to measuring the springs... proper order is spring, seat, spacer(also make sure both springs are right side up)..... of course, not having the right oil, the right quantity, or an imbalance of quantity between both fork legs could cause it.... changed your fork oil lately?

IP Logged
matt

da na na na na
mattman

Winter Springs, FL
Reply #6 - 04/18/09 at 08:41:11

Hey guys, thanks for all of your replies!  Wink

Front Tire pressure was good for the front tire.

I applied front brake and pushed and pulled and it was smooth no clicks. I have never messed with the forks, i never really suspected any problems.  I dont believe the oil in the forks has ever been changed. Previous owner babied the bike thoughSmiley, i have only had it a month or so.

Im going to run to the Home Depot to pick up supplies for the simple lever lift i saw in the TOC (4x8s etc), that way i can check the front balance and the slack on the neck. Im sure the lift will come in handy in future too.

Thank you all for the great advice ill post back with more results.  Cool

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 04/18/09 at 08:57:15

Matt I made one of the lifts really neat,And fast getting the bike up

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/18/09 at 10:02:55

Loosen the hex nut atop the triple trees. then slightly tighten the steering head nut. That's the one that needs a hook spanner wrench.
When the bike is lifted so thet the fron end is in the air, the steering should goe side to side smoothly with only a HINT of resistance. If it flops too readily side to side , it must be tightened.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #9 - 04/19/09 at 13:09:02

Is this a new thing for your bike or is it the first time you had it to speed????  

If it only happens at a certain speed and it can be repeated, then I would tend to lean towards wheel/tire balance.    How new is the tire??

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
matt

da na na na na
mattman

Winter Springs, FL
Reply #10 - 04/20/09 at 09:48:01

Hey guys,

This weekend has been so crazy did not get a chance to make that lift Sad .

That was really the first time i had the bike up to speed. However i notice the wobble is not as consistant. For instance, I had another chance to get it up to speed on a different road, While riding at at about 85 90, the front will be fine then start to wobble after a few minutes, i can slow down to stop the wobble and speed up again for it to eventually start wobbling again.

Due to the inconsistancies im starting to think maybe its just natural due to the weight and wind factors? PO put metzlers on roughly 2-3k miles ago. Tires looks great -- was only used for short casual trips.

But i still need to verify the front tire balance and check the slack. Thanks for all your suggestions everyone! hopefully ill be able to help someone with my limited knowledge Tongue. Im hoping to get the lift made sometime during the week.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 04/20/09 at 12:26:28

The frame/front end geometry is stable. But the forks are a bit spongy & needs the brace. You have as classy a tire on as possible. If there are "No Wobble" times, then its not balance or a bad tire. Id point to road/fork rebound & flex & go for a fork brace. Even IF that doesnt solve the problem, you need one anyway & chances are its gonna be the answer.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #12 - 04/20/09 at 14:27:41

I 2nd Justin's reply on the forkbrace. It makes a world of difference at Hiway speeds. I went for a 1hr toot last nite averaging 70mph. With the brace it was very stable. No deathgrip on the handle bars was required.  Last year w/o the brace the jiggle factor would have been much higher.  Once you get your front end resolved, if there are other issues, go for the fork brace. You won't regret it.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 04/20/09 at 15:17:29

Wobble like tank slap may be another issue than what we're used to.

Something's out of balence or not straight.  Sometime the fork's can get tweeked, sight along both to see if they're parrallel to each other.

Loosen the cap and lower tree pinch bolt and spin the tube to see it it wobbles.

And I'd check the fluid.  When I changed mine, the fluid was up near the top of the tube when you let it drop into the bottom slider.

WWW   IP Logged
dr1445

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 04/20/09 at 15:38:58

a wobble can start in the rear of the bike. you might want to grab the swing arm and see if the bushings are still tight. also have a look at the shocks and shock bushings.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 01:25:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front/Handlebar Wobbles

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.