Send Topic Print
wont go (Read 198 times)
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
wont go
04/16/09 at 16:42:43

my bike was working this morning.  Now I get full lights, horn, etc... but hitting the starter does absolutely nothing at all...  No clicks, no whirs... NOTHING.  Clutch in, sidestand up, neutral engaged... NOTHING.

Angry

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
craigq
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, ON
Re: wont go
Reply #1 - 04/16/09 at 16:59:55

What about the engine kill switch?

2009 WR250R/X
  IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #2 - 04/16/09 at 17:02:28

I didnt think I needed to mention that...

F$^&#*^&!!!!!!!! and this happens the day before I was gonna leave for a huge bike get together.

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #3 - 04/16/09 at 17:20:34

ok, no crank.... put bike in neutral, jump 2 big terminals on starter relay... crank: circuit(s) between switch and solenoid, or solenoid windings bad.... no crank: discharged batt, or bad batt and/or starter cables.... if it cranked: unplug connector from harness to start relay... jump black and white wire of relay to ground, other to batt positive... crank: relay winding good, fault is in wiring or components(bad ground connection, bad start switch, bad clutch switch, connector or harness section in circuit bad).... no crank: bad windings in starter relay.... if you got crank on the second test, then key on, bike in neutral, connect test light to ground, probe harness side signal wire from switch(in loom connector still disconnected from last test)... press start switch... light: bad ground on start relay circuit..... no light or dim light: component or harness.... get the picture? isolate and jump each component, and you will find the culprit..... sounds alot more complicated than it is....

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #4 - 04/16/09 at 17:45:40

Just taking a stab... but it the wire connected to the neutral switch?

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 04/16/09 at 17:47:55

SLUGGO, PLEASE, Put this somewhere where the people can get to it. I swear, ILL NEVER say this again.

IF You want YOUR Bike to turn over, Put a switch on the Decomp Timer. Just the tiniest, lowest current microswitch you can find will handle it. No BS in the way. Look at a diagram, theres an Always Hot 12 volt wire running all by itself right by the decomp timer. I can walk up to my bike & have the key in my pocket & hit that switch & the motor turns over. It wont start, but the drcomp timer triggers the starter. I jumped from the 12 volt red wire running by the decomp timer to one of the wires on the timer. A look at the wiring diagram will make it obvious enough. I might be bothered to get more info, IF someone is actually interested. I see
" It wont turn over"
3 times a week & no one is interested enough to even ask me a question? I dont know why I am surprised.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #6 - 04/17/09 at 15:47:23

Check wire connections to the safety switches.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #7 - 04/17/09 at 16:08:43

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/16/09 at 17:47:55:
SLUGGO, PLEASE, Put this somewhere where the people can get to it. I swear, ILL NEVER say this again.

IF You want YOUR Bike to turn over, Put a switch on the Decomp Timer. Just the tiniest, lowest current microswitch you can find will handle it. No BS in the way. Look at a diagram, theres an Always Hot 12 volt wire running all by itself right by the decomp timer. I can walk up to my bike & have the key in my pocket & hit that switch & the motor turns over. It wont start, but the drcomp timer triggers the starter. I jumped from the 12 volt red wire running by the decomp timer to one of the wires on the timer. A look at the wiring diagram will make it obvious enough. I might be bothered to get more info, IF someone is actually interested. I see
" It wont turn over"
3 times a week & no one is interested enough to even ask me a question? I dont know why I am surprised.

i like that, like putting a "bump switch" under your hood....  Wink

IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #8 - 04/17/09 at 18:49:50

I always have the lamest reasons for my electrical not working.

I shorted the relay, it cranked over.  Used wire to link the started wires, no start.  Narrowed it down to solenoid or safety switches.

then for some reason I checked the clutch switch... months ago the plastic clip for the clutch switch broke but it gave me no problems until now.

I always seem to fix these problems whenever a friend passes by and talks to me while Im fixing.  I think I take a step back and pull a "Im pretending to fix things because I cant actually talk to you and work at the same time."  For some reason that's when I notice the problems in places I overlooked.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #9 - 04/18/09 at 12:13:25

I was gonna say clutch switch but I see you've already found it.  Seems onece or twice I've forgotten to hook the connector back up after changing or doing something with the bars.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #10 - 04/19/09 at 11:28:15

Hmmmm ....  I made a bypass so that, in neutral, I don't need to pull in the clutch lever. That would have helped you....

And..... I even took pictures.  I guess it's time to get off my fat A.. and post something in the Tes ref section.... Embarrassed

It was easy to do,  the Neutral switch is a grounding type setup.  I just used that to be the ground of a fog-light relay.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 04/19/09 at 15:13:56

A piece of paperclip will stick into the connector & "Tell" the interlock that the clutch lever is pulled in.Just unplug it & short the connector.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 08:32:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › wont go

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.