Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jay's Diamond Jim seat mod, Now with PICS! (Read 347 times)
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Jay's Diamond Jim seat mod, Now with PICS!
04/15/09 at 04:53:08

OK, first off I've got to apologize for the crappy quality of these pics. They looked better on the camera; but it was a cell phone camera. Sad
If you can make out the big bubble in the middle of the seat, that's my crummy reupholstery job. I rode it that way for about 1,000 miles before the redo; to see if it needed any tweaking before I took the cover off again.

This is the seat foam after I carved on it. The lousy lighting (and strange blue cast) doesn't show at all that the entire center of the seat is a Wal-Mart camping pad.

Here is the seat foam, turned over; and the blue pad a little more easily seen. I attached it with Elmer's Spray Adhesive. The ring you see around the blue is literally a ring of the original seat foam. Nothing but air in there without the blue camping pad.

This is the total amount I carved off of the original seat foam. It was alot! I had sliced a thin layer off teh top of the remnent, thinking I might need it for padding. It was totally unnecessary.

Back when I did my seat lift mod, I heated the pan and reshaped it. I also attached a little aluminum bar underneath to help support the new angle.

first pic of the finished product, on the bike.

Second pic, with a piece of cardboard behind for contrast.

My big, fat, happy behind on the bike. After 1000 miles on the new seat, with 600 miles of that a round trip to Lubbock and back, I can honestly say I am very happy with this mod. I just wiish the pictures did justice to it. Thanks Diamond Jim!

So for your next wedding, graduation, birthday, or Bar Mitzvah, don't forget Jay's fine photograpy.  Grin

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Re: Jay's Diamond Jim seat mod, Now with PICS!
Reply #1 - 04/15/09 at 05:22:53

Great job!  That looks awesome.  I bet it feels totally different when riding.  I like the way it extends the tank line.  Very nice.  Here's a bigger pic to see more detail.

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #2 - 04/15/09 at 05:42:42

Looks sharp!  Also looks comfy.  Another mod that lies in the murky future for my bike. Grin

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #3 - 04/15/09 at 06:13:25

Great idea about heating and reshaping the seat pan.  I never thought of that.  Cool.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #4 - 04/15/09 at 09:56:21

diamond jim wrote on 04/15/09 at 05:22:53:
Great job!  That looks awesome.  I bet it feels totally different when riding.  I like the way it extends the tank line.  Very nice.  Here's a bigger pic to see more detail.

That looks like my seat after the Road King tank mod. The only differance is I didn't do anything to the seat except squish it down so I could get the bolt holes lined up.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #5 - 04/15/09 at 20:31:24

diamond jim wrote on 04/15/09 at 06:13:25:
Great idea about heating and reshaping the seat pan.  I never thought of that.  Cool.

Being somewhat cheap and lazy, I stumbled upon an easy way to do it. I have a high output, halogen worklight that generates a tremendous amount of heat. So much so that I won't use it in summer, and in the winter I don't need any other heat source. I just put the seat up on its side next to the light for about 30 minutes and presto soft, malliable plastic. Secured it in the desired position, turned off the light, and waited about 45 minutes for it to cool. After cooling it was set in the new position.

Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #6 - 04/16/09 at 05:40:25

Cool.  If I take my seat apart for some reason I'll do the heat and shape mod.  Jay, can you tell us more about how it rides?

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #7 - 04/16/09 at 19:08:53

Like a dream. Toatally different bike. Of all the comfort mods I've made, this one hands down beats all of them. Even EdL's forward controls (which I love!) The trip to Lubbock was usually an ecercise in how much discomfort my backside could take, and for how long. Now I'm looking for excuses to take long trips on the bike. The comfort is that good. All I have to do now is make slight adjustments in my hips to take pressure off my backside. The whole 300 miles back from Lubbock, I didn't put my feet on the rear pegs once. Didn't need to! I even caught myself filling up a gas stations without getting off the bike. I had to remind myself to stretch my legs.
I would like highway pegs and a larger gas tank now; so I can make longer trips. Uh oh. Looks like more mods in my future. Smiley

Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #8 - 04/16/09 at 19:20:28

How did you go about doing the mod? Did you just trim down the stock foam to a smaller size? Or did you remove it and put new foam in and then contour it?

I'm looking at doing this mod soon.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #9 - 04/16/09 at 20:46:49

I trimmed out the stock foam on the riders portion using an electric bread knife (Thanks Honey!). I left the pillion alone. In the second of my lousy pics, you may be able to make out the blue in the center of the original seat foam. After carving, that ring you see around the blue was all that was left of the original faom. Nothing but a ring. I left that to help the new seat fit on the pan. In the fourth pic, you'll see what I cut away. It was a lot of foam. The line running through the middle of the cut out portion is from when I sliced off a layer thinking I would use it on top of the blue pad; but it turned out to be totally unnecessary. The blue foam is nothing more than a campers sleeping bag mat purchsed from Wal-Mart for under $6, and cut to the desired shape. Single thickness. Using Elmer's spray adhesive, I secured the blue foam to what was left of the original seat foam, layed down polyester batting over that to help smooth the result (Diamond Jim recommended cotton, but polyester was all I could find at Wallyworld); and recovered the seat using the original cover.
Now this is very important! When it comes time to recover, START AT THE FRONT AND WORK YOUR WAY BACK!! It looks so logical to start at the rear, since it's already preshaped, and the cover slips over it so easily; but this would be a BIG mistake, and was the reason I had to do the recover twice. Start at the front and work your way to the rear. A couple staples on one side, a couple on the other, then back; and so on til you reach the rear of the seat. Alternate, alternate, alternate. That's how you'll ge the best result.
Over all, a fairly quick, easy, and inexpensive mod. My biggest expense was the $30 I shelled out on an electric staple gun. I could've done it with my mechanical gun, but the electric made it a lot easier. I also recommend that you make the reupholstery a two person job. It made it much easier and quicker, that second time around, having my wife's help.
It would have looked cooler, and more like DJ's, if I'd shaved the pillion too; but leaving it alone resulted in a little more lower back support for me when I'm riding, and I like that. I like it alot!

Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #10 - 04/17/09 at 04:22:22

Cool..Thanks for the info. I've got the S40 seat like diamond jim's, so I'll probably just do both at the same time. Then I just need to decide if I want to do the sissbar pad too... Hmmm!

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 04/17/09 at 07:07:45

I just did this mod on my 2 piece seat as well.  Take off the staples holding stock vinyl cover, take off plastic cover on foam and throw away, take off foam and throw away.  Take seat pan and spray all over with Dow Great Stuff (got it at Lowe's in insulation section for $4) and let dry over night.  It will fill in all the low spots on the plastic seat pan.  Take a hacksaw or (electric break knife) and trim down the hardened foam sealer til the seat pan is flat.  Then cut a yoga mat or camping pad to the right size and glue in onto the seat pan.  Repeat this step as many times as you see fit the correct amount of padding.  (next step is optional, and I left it out but will make your seat more professional looking)  Take some cotton batting from on old pillow and lay it over the yoga mat and then cover it with a plastic bag to keep it from getting wet.  Then staple the original vinyl cover or get some new waterproof vinyl at the fabric store like I did and to the bottom of the seat pan and VIOLA a new "saddle-like seat"  HTH

p.s. Much more comfortable and just like DJ said, now I dont feel like I'm gonna go hurtling over the handlebars when I hit the brakes hard.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #12 - 04/17/09 at 07:28:06

Jay, you nailed the comfort description.  It spreads the pressure the pressure onthe butt and bottom of your thighs more so no single area of the seat is doing most of the supporting. It feels so much different when braking as well.  I feel like me and the bike brake together as a single unit rather than the bike slowing own and me feeling like I'm resisting going forward.  I'm thinking that the larger you are the better this mod works.  I don't know for sure but I imagine someone who is 5'9" or taller or weighs maybe 170 or more will get more out of this mod.  Someone who is 5'6" or shorter or weighs 150 or less would still get benefit but I don't know if it would have as much of an impact. I'm 6' and 250 so it's a dream for me.  The first time I rode the bike (home from the dealer) it was a 30 minute ride and my butt hurt something bad.

I did a similar mod on my M50 seat.  Actually, it has a flat seat pan meaning the top is flat with contoured angles with supporting ribs on the bottom.  I rode a few with with just the seat pan while figuring out what to do for a seat mod and then sewing a new cover (yep, I had sewn a new on all by myself!).  I noticed that I liked it better than the thick stock cushion.  Anyhow, most over on the M50 site doubted that less cushion could be more comfortable.  I just know that I liked it better and that is what inspired me to do my S40 seat.  

Jay, I thnk the way you did it with leaving the pillon alone looks great.  I can see how it would add just enough back support.  I remember thinking how if I had a two piece I'd leave the pillon the same height and shape butsomehow convert it to a hidden storage area.  I was thinking of some kind of box with a hinge.  The box would then be wrapped with very thin foam and the pillon seat cover to look like it was unaltered but would actually be storage for riding glasses, gloves and a few small items.  

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #13 - 04/17/09 at 20:03:41

diamond jim wrote on 04/17/09 at 07:28:06:
Jay, I thnk the way you did it with leaving the pillon alone looks great.  I can see how it would add just enough back support.  I remember thinking how if I had a two piece I'd leave the pillon the same height and shape butsomehow convert it to a hidden storage area.  I was thinking of some kind of box with a hinge.  The box would then be wrapped with very thin foam and the pillon seat cover to look like it was unaltered but would actually be storage for riding glasses, gloves and a few small items.  

I've often thought of doing this very thing. I wante to leave it as a functional pillion, but have a hinged lid for storing small items. I could never find a workable material that would accomplish both tasks, so I left it undone. I could have constructed out of wood I guess, but I didn't think I would like the finished product, or the wieght.

Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:19:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Jay's Diamond Jim seat mod, Now with PICS!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.