Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
to modify or not to modify???? (Read 309 times)
drewman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

to modify or not to modify????
04/14/09 at 18:35:14

I have a 98 savage that has not been modified. Its been reliable and starts easily. The performance is ok but the bike is too quiet. I would like to change the exhaust, (I have a python 3 slip on muffler) and I know that I will have to rejet. I may also upgrade the air filter. Will my bike still start easy and be as reliable? I seen a listing on ebay for an aftermarket slip on muffler and a jet kit for a savage. The seller said that his bike would take upto 20 attempts to get it started. Is this common? If I do these upgrades should I expect to have this problem?
Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: to modify or not to modify????
Reply #1 - 04/14/09 at 18:43:01

With a carbed bike or any carbed vehicle for that matter, when you change either the air intake or exhaust setting from stock you need to change the carb jetting (pilot jet/needle jet/main jet/idle mix screw) to correspond with the new change in inflow/outflow of air and/or fuel.  Hope this makes sense and making a bike louder requires a free-er flowing exhaust, so you must make the air inflow more free-er by changing the carb jetting.  Hope this makes sense and ask more questions if you have any.

p.s. Harley take off stock mufflers from Sportster 1200's and Dyna's make great/louder mufflers for our Savages and Lancer on here (PM him) sells a great re-jet kit that includes just about everything you will need to correctly re-jet your carb.

-matt

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/14/09 at 18:59:35

Just DO IT!!! and never lookback. Once you start its hard to stop. New bars, new seat, saddle bags and brackets, new rear turn signals, new carb and performance parts (yet to get working lol), new toolbag, almost bought new leather saddlebags yesterday, removed the front fender, bought a windshield, Gel pads for seat, tapered exhaust etc.. the list is longer for others.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #3 - 04/14/09 at 19:12:28

odvelasc wrote on 04/14/09 at 18:59:35:
Just DO IT!!! and never lookback. Once you start its hard to stop. New bars, new seat, saddle bags and brackets, new rear turn signals, new carb and performance parts (yet to get working lol), new toolbag, almost bought new leather saddlebags yesterday, removed the front fender, bought a windshield, Gel pads for seat, tapered exhaust etc.. the list is longer for others.

Let's see...  I've added a license plate frame...

Hmmm... I guess that's my list of mods.  Sure seems like I'm forgetting something though.

Drew, you can keep your bike stock.  No problem with that at all.  I choose to mod because I don't buy the story some owners proclaim about the stock bike being absolute engineering perfection.  I believe the design of several components of the bike are the result of a compromise between cost, space, size, weight and regulations.  (Same for every other bike unless you custom build one).   Although for a low budget bike I think a pretty good job was done given the cost, size and weight restrictions that designers had to work within.  With this bike, Suzuki targeted a specific niche in motorcycling that knows no contemporary peers.  Personally, I feel that although designers may have had to compromise a little here and there, I don't have to.  I enjoy removing what I believe are a variety of small compromising limitations in design and letting the bike live up to its  potential.  When mods are done right, the bike retains dependability and in some cases dependability is improved.  

If you keep it stock, be sure you are doing maintenance the right way.  If you mod, be sure you are doing it the right way as well.  Either way, you will be spending wrench-time with your bike.  

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 04/15/09 at 04:10:58

drewman wrote on 04/14/09 at 18:35:14:
I have a 98 savage that has not been modified. Its been reliable and starts easily. The performance is ok but the bike is too quiet. I would like to change the exhaust, (I have a python 3 slip on muffler) and I know that I will have to rejet. I may also upgrade the air filter. Will my bike still start easy and be as reliable? I seen a listing on ebay for an aftermarket slip on muffler and a jet kit for a savage. The seller said that his bike would take upto 20 attempts to get it started. Is this common? If I do these upgrades should I expect to have this problem?Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Be careful of this ebay seller, there have been quite a few issues with him and/or his product.  Most of the mufflers he offers are cheap knock-offs and he only supplies one main jet which may not be what your engine needs.    Most folks find a genuine HD sporty or dyna muffler for less money and the quality is much better.  They are all over the place on ebay for as little as $15-20/pr + shp.  Some folks will go together and split the cost.
Once installed, the pilot jet may or may not need to be changed, you just have to adjust the pilot air screw to find out what then engine wants for the low throttle range.  Shaving the white spacer or replacing it with washers will richen the midrange for better response and some added umph.  The main jet is for 3/4 to wide open throttle.  Most stock engines with an HD muffler like the #150 main jet but some will prefer the #152.5...just depends on the engine.  
It is a process; change jet ... test ... adjust pilot screw ... test ... shave white spacer ... test ... etc etc.  Study the symptoms of lean, rich and proper engine response, go over the runing procedures, make notes when testing, compare, adjust and after a while you will get it done.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 04/15/09 at 05:54:27

Ive changed exhaust, jetted, changed the cam. Mine fires right off nearly every time. I screw up sometimes & do something that doesnt make him happy & Ol' Bull wont fire up till I diddle a while. BUT, thats my fault.
Usually, I make sure theres gas in the bowl, set the choke on the 1/2 notch, poke the button & Vroom,, Unless Im wearing all my warm clothes, then, its full choke time. Turning the throttle is a sure way to make it hard to start.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #6 - 04/15/09 at 10:08:14

drewman wrote on 04/14/09 at 18:35:14:
I have a 98 savage that has not been modified. Its been reliable and starts easily. The performance is ok but the bike is too quiet. I would like to change the exhaust, (I have a python 3 slip on muffler) and I know that I will have to rejet. I may also upgrade the air filter. Will my bike still start easy and be as reliable? I seen a listing on ebay for an aftermarket slip on muffler and a jet kit for a savage. The seller said that his bike would take upto 20 attempts to get it started. Is this common? If I do these upgrades should I expect to have this problem?
Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Be careful when you start modding, it can get addictive.  Wink Wink

The FireLizard when I bought it.

Now, minus my screwed up paint job which I am too embarrassed to show.

I started modding the FireLizard just for performance and to replace the beat up fuel tank, but I ended up not being able to stop.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
texsam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/15/09 at 16:20:32

i adjusted my mixture screw on my carb went all the way in cw then 2.5 times ccw out now i here a small lite wistle not as low=ud as the exhaust though just subtle is that bad i know there are now exhaust leaks

IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #8 - 04/16/09 at 11:18:05

It's not a question of SHOULD you go for it.  It's a question of WHEN will you go for it!   Grin

The fun thing about this bike is how easy it is to mod. There is much you can do with it depending on how far you're willing to go and how much your willing to learn along the way.  Don't believe me... just look through the pictures on this site at all the customized bikes from bobbers to full dressers to, well, not even the same bike (ie the "whale").

My Savage: (latest pics but not showing all done already):

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #9 - 04/16/09 at 18:05:31

The best time to go for it is during the off season. I'm killing myself over not having my bike done and ready to ride already AAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #10 - 04/16/09 at 18:57:24

Start as far back in RSD as you can go, and read all the way to the present. Look at all the mod'ing that has gone on and the result of said mod'ing. Then you'll know if it's right for you, your bike, your patience, and your mechanical apptitude.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/16/09 at 21:29:09

Beautiful fenders, Gary.  Gives the bike a real classy look.

IP Logged
drewman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 04/18/09 at 18:23:06

I decided to go for it. I'm going to install the Python 3 muffler and rejet the carb. I'm going to install a side mount air filter the same way v-twins are set up. I'm also going to switch the savage seat to an S40 seat and change handlebars to a dresser style. Has anyone tried a side mount air filter?  Thanks for all the input.

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 04/18/09 at 18:59:15

If memory serves, Sluggo tried a sidemount but as I recall he may have had some issues with it being in the airstream and thus causing air intake problems while riding.  Best to ask him about this...its been awhile and I'm not sure about the details.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #14 - 04/18/09 at 19:16:51

Yep, Gort's right.  

I'm guessing you are talking about feeding the air directly into the carb.  I'm not so sure about harleys but most import v-twins with a side mounted air filter have the air going into an airbox and then the carb/throttle body.  The v-twin airboxes take care of pressure changes as the bike speeds up.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/15/24 at 07:26:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › to modify or not to modify????

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.