Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
quick (and stupid) question (Read 223 times)
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

quick (and stupid) question
04/12/09 at 21:24:36

My left front signal went out. The bulb is printed with 1107. I couldnt find 1107 at the local auto store. Anyone know of acceptable substitutes?

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: quick (and stupid) question
Reply #1 - 04/13/09 at 05:17:12

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #2 - 04/13/09 at 07:27:08

2357 offers the same 3 candlepower in the dim filament and 40 cp in the bright filament vs. 32 cp in the 1157.

2397 offers 2cp & 40 cp for more contrast between the two functions, but less bright running lights.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/13/09 at 10:56:28

okay...then i have a different issue. I had 1157s and 2357 and tried them both. running light works but the turn signal wont come on.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #4 - 04/13/09 at 11:46:04

I presume the left rear turn signal is working OK, and the indicator light on the Speedo is working OK.
Check for corrosion in the light bulb socket.  If you have a meter, check the bulbs for continuity.
Check (re-seat) the wiring inside the headlight.
Check (re-seat) that big connector that sits up under the tank on the left side.  It can get knocked just a bit loose. especially if you removed the gas tank recently.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/13/09 at 12:43:25

the front and rear rights and left rear come on but they dont flash. Solid yellow. Same with the indicator. Took the housing apart and checked the wires. All looks well. Checked all connectors under the tank and seat and all looks well. My friend is borrowing my Clymers to do a fork seal replacement. I know where the main fuses are but where are the others? I dont know offhand. I will check the headlight wiring.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #6 - 04/13/09 at 13:00:53

very strange.  Especially because the front and rear turn signal lights are on the same wire.. it just goes through some connectors.
Even stranger is that the right side doesn't flash.

The only fuses (2 of them) are right together under the right side of the seat.  You found one, you found both.

Yah.. a Clymers with it's wiring diagram would help a bunch right about now!

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/13/09 at 13:08:36

well...i piddled around a bit. tugged on some wires here and there. The 1157 works now. still no flashing. I checked the headlight housing. All looks well. im frustrated. I've been busy the last 4 days or so and now its not raining and im not busy and i have an issue with the bike. I have had the tank off a lot. The connector is snug but maybe theres a loose something connecting to the speedo? Dont know if its worth the look but here i go...

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #8 - 04/13/09 at 13:16:12

Check the flasher relay (reseat).  It's up under the tank on the right side towards the front.
It is so easy to knock stuff loose putting the tank back on.
Why do I still think it is that big black connector on the left??  (Probably because it has bitten me so many times)

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 04/13/09 at 16:48:42

dis and reconnected the relay. no change.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 04/13/09 at 22:19:18

i leaning toward the relay as everything else seems good. Any way to tell if it is the relay without replacing it?

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #11 - 04/14/09 at 01:57:56

BurnPgh wrote on 04/13/09 at 22:19:18:
i leaning toward the relay as everything else seems good. Any way to tell if it is the relay without replacing it?

Not that I can think of.
However, if you pull the relay out, the turn signals should NOT come on at all (from looking at the schematic).  If they still come on, it sounds like a short somewhere else.

If that checks out OK.
1. Try smacking the relay gently a few times.  IF it is a thermal flasher AND the contacts have stuck, that might free them up.
2. The friend that has your Clymers.. grab his relay for testing.
3. From what others have said, just about any 2 contact flasher with the same connector should work, and should be fairly cheap at Auto parts place.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 04/14/09 at 12:58:34

it was the relay. Got one from advanced auto for $3. Works just dandy.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 11:14:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › quick (and stupid) question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.