Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can anyone help me? (Read 164 times)
il67bp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Can anyone help me?
04/11/09 at 23:49:32

r ran the im doing  a tear down of my bike right now so i thought i'd finally get to rejetting the carb. when i had a dyna exhaust and a k&n filter i had alot of backfiring. i had a pop when the bike was shut off and a huge loss of power and continuing backfiring with 3/4 - full throttle. i later ran the bike without a muffler on that eliminated the backfire when i shut the bike off but i also did not ride more than ten-15 minutes at a time without the muffler. i would like to keep the muffler off and also would like to have my carb tuned correctly for this. what  would be the best size jets to have? i have a 1988 savage with 16,000 miles a k&n filter and no muffler. thanks for the help

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Can anyone help me?
Reply #1 - 04/12/09 at 00:02:47

I would get a set of jets from lancer and a case of ear plugs.  toss one at everyone you pass by.

WWW   IP Logged
il67bp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/12/09 at 00:07:17

haha i have the set i just dont know what sizes to use. it is quite loud but i like it . since im not going to have more power than the harley next to me i thought i might, just might have a chance to be louder

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 04/12/09 at 10:02:16

No muffler...  hmmmmmm....  with very little restriction in the air path,  I would think the foillowing would be the start point and then check the color of the plug after a tank of gas.  

Low speed circuit: Pilot jet,  the 55 Lancer sent. (Air mix screw, set at idle, set to the rich side of centered between too rich and too lean)

Mid Range: if that 88 had the clips on the needle, one knotch richer. or if a white space,  1 or 2 washers.

High speed: Main Jet : 155 that Lancer sent.

The two most used things are the low speed and the mid range.    

With an open pipe you will find a little less torque at low RPM's and more "go" at higher speeds.    I opted to baffle my loud Srceaming eagle turn-out for the torque.  I commute to work and want the "get out of the way" power just in case.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
il67bp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/12/09 at 10:35:36

Sounds good thanks for the help. Ill let you know how it ggoes in a few weeks. Happy Easter

IP Logged
il67bp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/19/09 at 08:57:33

so heres whats happening after the rejet.
when i start the bike i have to give it a little gas..sometimes.
it will run for a little then just shut off if i do not touch the throttle. second time starting it is harder. i have played with the idle mix screw from all the way closed to all the way open. same thing. sometimes when it dies it blows smoke out of my intake. if i ride it and stop it will soon shut off if i dont give it any throttle. what can i do?

IP Logged
il67bp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/19/09 at 08:58:56

i have a new plug and battery. but i have not been able to ride through a full tank of gas yet because of the problem.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 04/19/09 at 09:21:28

blowing smoke out the intake on shutoff is nothing to be concerned with except for the fact that you have an '88, pre torque limiter starter gear.  It indicates that for a short bit the engine was turning backwards.

How does it start w/o choke?  you might be too rich.

How's your idle speed?  I tend to set mine high, and I seem to have less problems.

WWW   IP Logged
il67bp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/19/09 at 09:36:49

With the choke out it will shut off. My idle is set as high as possible. When its set lower the bike shuts off faster

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 04/19/09 at 09:49:40

have you looked at the plug after a shut off?

I bet it's wet indicating rich

WWW   IP Logged
il67bp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 04/19/09 at 09:54:43

No I didn't check it but I will. Thanks for the ongoing help.

IP Logged
il67bp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 04/19/09 at 09:58:31

If I am running rich what jets should I switch to? I'm running the ones tmack suggested now

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #12 - 04/19/09 at 11:05:55

il67bp wrote on 04/19/09 at 09:58:31:
If I am running rich what jets should I switch to? I'm running the ones tmack suggested now

Put the stock low speed jet back in and see if it helps. You may have to be on the almost all the way out on the mix screw though.

On a properly jetted low speed circuit you should be able to find a too rich and a too lean spot on the mixture screw.   That is, when adjusting the screw, the engine RPM's starts to dip a little or the engine starts to run a little rougher, on both sides of the adjustments (in & out).

I found that the 55 jet I recieved from Lancer was too much and I couldn't get to the lean side at all.  The 52.5 stock is almost not enough, as I'm at the 3-turns-out spot where you start to loose the holding tension the spring gives.   I could almost use a 53.5 jet....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:15:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Can anyone help me?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.