Send Topic Print
Battery water level (Read 186 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Battery water level
04/11/09 at 13:34:30

Is it my old eyes,even with glasses on I cant see the water level through  that square hole where you see the battery,If I take it out I can see the level,Is there a trick to it I've tried a bright light doesn't help me.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Battery water level
Reply #1 - 04/11/09 at 14:00:22

Does your battery have a milky white to partially clear plastic case?   You can see the water level through the white plastic if you have one of these style cases.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 04/11/09 at 15:09:13

Yep its the stock battery milky white,I can shake the bike but i still can't see the water in there ,last year I took it out because I couldn't see in there and it was right up there were it was supposed to be.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 04/11/09 at 15:54:42

reading with bike level??

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 04/11/09 at 16:47:05

Yep bike level,So you guys can see the water level.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 04/11/09 at 18:06:09

Water? Water? What Waaaater? My Big Crank needs No water.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #6 - 04/11/09 at 19:33:59

Similar problem Bill. I almost have to look at mine from the cornerof my eye, sideways; then I can see the level. Definate PIA. Shining a brite light on the battery only made it worse. Gotta be a better way.
Yes, yes, I know. Big Crank. It's on my list.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 04/11/09 at 22:27:04

I almost have to look at mine from the corner of my eye,

Looking straight at things, over the years, exposes that part of the retina to enough light to damage it slightly.Just off to the side, away from the usually "Focused on spot", the retina is still sensitive. Looking into the night sky, faint stars will be seen just away from where I am looking. Then when I look AT that spot, the faint star disappears.

If I was having trouble seeing the level I would cut a piece of cardboard & hack a hole in it to go over the hole in the battery box & shine the light back behind the left sidecover. Using the cardboard to block the light from my eyes I think the level would be more easily seen. Or maybe put the light on the front of the battery & look behind the sidecover. But, by protecting the eyes from the direct light, the pupils wont be constricted & the contrast between the plastic case versus the case with the water in it should be easier to spot.
Thats the way Id go at it, I hope that helps.

ofcourseaBIG CRANKsolves this problem,,,, Grin

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #8 - 04/12/09 at 09:27:03

Would adding a couple drops of blue food color dye hurt the electrolyte? It would certainly help you see it better.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #9 - 04/12/09 at 09:27:48

Would adding a couple drops of blue or green food color dye hurt the electrolyte? It would certainly help you see it better.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 04/12/09 at 09:46:40

I thought about that too.I don't think it would hurt anything.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #11 - 04/12/09 at 10:35:47

Try to put a strong light in a place where it shines through the case, if possible.  Or, remove the battery (I know, PITA) and shine a strong flashlight down each filler cap.  Even if a colorant didn't harm the battery, it'd probably soon stain the white plastic case and you'd have no chance of seeing anything.

Maybe you can't see a level 'cuz they're low?

By the way, the battery electrolyte isn't water, it's dilute sulfuric acid.  We add distilled water to replace the water (from the dilute acid) that evaporates away in service.  The correct level of the electrolyte should be covering the lead plates and not high enough to bubble out and make a terrible mess and damage.

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #12 - 04/12/09 at 19:19:41

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/11/09 at 22:27:04:
I almost have to look at mine from the corner of my eye,

Looking straight at things, over the years, exposes that part of the retina to enough light to damage it slightly.Just off to the side, away from the usually "Focused on spot", the retina is still sensitive. Looking into the night sky, faint stars will be seen just away from where I am looking. Then when I look AT that spot, the faint star disappears.

If I was having trouble seeing the level I would cut a piece of cardboard & hack a hole in it to go over the hole in the battery box & shine the light back behind the left sidecover. Using the cardboard to block the light from my eyes I think the level would be more easily seen. Or maybe put the light on the front of the battery & look behind the sidecover. But, by protecting the eyes from the direct light, the pupils wont be constricted & the contrast between the plastic case versus the case with the water in it should be easier to spot.
Thats the way Id go at it, I hope that helps.

I like this idea. A method of defusing the light around the battery, instead of steady at it, may be a step in the right direction. It wouldn't hurt to keep the reflection off of the shiney bits in that area anyway.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 04/13/09 at 21:15:11

you don't need a light you need a big crank

WWW   IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #14 - 04/14/09 at 04:03:17

I don't think it's not that important if you can see the fluid level through the square hole or not. It's only one cell. I've noticed every cell has different fluid level anyway, one could be at halfway between min and max, another could be at minimum. It's not too much to remove the battery once or twice a year to clean it and the terminals and add distilled water if needed.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 13:42:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery water level

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.