Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
another cam chain epiphany (Read 220 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
another cam chain epiphany
04/10/09 at 17:11:00

marshall13 wrote on 04/10/09 at 16:11:51:
ok, ive read about all the posts i can find on this subject, and here's the opinion of of yet another bearer of 2 cents....(and a complete forum noob to boot!)... the vershlagy seems to be the best mod so far, but does nothing to combat the inherent design flaw of the system, which is that the adjustment is at the wrong end... i had an epiphanous moment last night while examining the extremely detailed photos that "savage greg" posted of the inner mysteries of the ls650 / s40 back in 05... the tensioning system is a 2 assembly active, 1 assembly passive system (rear pivoted tensioner and that nightmare adjuster are the active bits, the forward chainguide is the inactive)... let's examine the workings of our active pair of assemblies... you are all intimately familiar with the adjuster "grenade", but what of the rear tensioner, and its action?... it pivots on a bolt in the head(close to parralel to the axis of the cam, but lower), it has a "hunchback", then a vertical leg that terminates in the "grenade forward mount".... the action of this piece is to tuck the slack side of the chain closer to the vertical CL of the 2 gears, by way of the hunchback bearing on the outer face of the chain.... it tensions what is basically a fast moving file with a plastic bearing surface.... high wear of the hunch is the result, causing the rear lower leg to advance forward at an alarming rate.... because of the great length of this lower leg in relation to the distance of the hunch face from the pivot bolt, the wear caused travel is multiplied at the adjuster, causing the rapid disassembly problem you all know and love..... this is the big inherant flaw of the tensioner system.... i propose a new rear tensioner/adjuster rig is the only REAL answer to this dilemna, that will result in reasonable chain / adjuster service lifespan.... the tales ive read of 8k mile "ticking" from this problem is inexcusable for a bike that has been manufactured for 25 years.... my idea is to use the existing pivot for a re-designed rear tension rig, that uses a small open cage ball or roller bearing as the contact face, thus eliminating the wear problem (hard chain on hard rolling bearing).... one could use the form of the existing rear tensioner, thus retaining the auto-adjusting "grenade" for slack removal, or a simple bolt and jam-nut system can be added through the rear face of the head, making it a manual system.... feedback?

Tech section is for How-To's, not What-if.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: another cam chain epiphany
Reply #1 - 04/10/09 at 17:20:18

Your task young paddle-on is to find a inexpensive mod, a cost effective bearing that will fit in the alloted area.

WWW   IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #2 - 04/10/09 at 18:35:47

forgive my mis-placement of my original post... was kinda wondering why it hadnt been reponded to ...lol ...  the bearing wont be a problem, got a ton of local distributors, and those are some helpful hungry dudes.... only problem is i dont have one of the bikes... ive admired them since their intro mid-80s, rode big 4 cyl hondas in those days, and had a 20 year plus riding hiatus... the local (sunny south east florida) weather has raised the 2 wheel fever in my blood again, and i was considering a savage, but when i read of the grenade/adjuster dilemna, i was ready to give up on them.... then epiphany struck.... so, ill answer the assignment with a request... if one of you current savage owners can give me some pertinent measurements for the design... width and depth of the pocket in the right rear head... diameter of cam side gear... depth of pivot from parting line of head / headcover.... width of cam chain... pivot bolt diameter... clearance between cam chain and outer wall of cylinder.... ill be able to wrestle the correct bearing from the various vendors at my disposal, as well as submit for your approval a properly dimensioned plan for a manual adjusting system i dreamed up... im also considering buying a full adjuster set-up to get the "feel" of whether one can replace the hunchback with a bearing, and retain the auto-adjusting grenade.... my feeling is that the downleg is too darned flimsy, and will bend under load, but one can work around that if space allows....worst case scenario with the bearing is having to turn an oil soaked bronze bushing as the bearing surface (a bronze roller)...  i figure it's safe to assume there will be no oil starvation problem....

edit: failing that, if a local (ft lauderdale, and 100 mile radius) forum member has an engine with the head opened for a cranial surgery session,and would allow a tattooed, shaved head geeper with a set of dial calipers to examine it, i'd be able to collect my own measurements.... though i can kind of guesstimate the bottom size of the chain tunnel on the head... savage greg's pics wil allow me to use the bore as a reference, and scale the size of the opening.... the other dimensions, of course, would be much harder.....

« Last Edit: 04/10/09 at 20:05:32 by marshall13 »  
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 04/11/09 at 08:50:10

too bad you're on the other side of the mountain.

emailing you some pic's

WWW   IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #4 - 04/11/09 at 22:15:37

okie dokie... as the locals are all closed, i went to that noble reference and supplier, mcmaster-carr... they stock an 8mm id x 15 od x 12 width needle bearing... 2423K21.... 13 bux... hardened and ground sleeve to press on 5 mm raw shaft (no grinding an axle)... 2423K41... 5 bux.... 18 bux is kinda borderline for "affordable" in my book, but the source IS mcmaster-carr, they dont have a rep as a discount house by any means.... ill probably be able to shave a few bucks off at the local level... the press-sleeve is a super handy item, and it allows a decent standoff from the actual 5 mm shaft... whatcha think? Undecided

edit: forgive my poor social skills... thanks for the excellent pics!!! one more note on the bearing... 860 lb dynamic load, 29k rpm redline.... speed might be a little low, huh?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 04/11/09 at 22:36:04

The number of blowups is really small. Its just made a lot of when it happens. Avoiding a problem is easy. These things arent "maintenance free" but they are generally dependable & easy to keep on the road. The cam chain adjuster doesnt just explode for no reason. It requires being ignored & allowed to go past a limit. That can be avoided without much effort & there are mods available to make it dang near impossible.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 04/11/09 at 23:33:12

Hey jog2, if he got an idea he's willing to put some effort into, I'm not going to discourage him.  And it might be the magic bullet for this problem as we haven't completely solved the issue.  We just made sure it doesn't go boom.

15mm is about the size of the shaft the cam chain sprocket goes on.
the driver sprocket is about twice that.  max rpm is 6500 so the bearing will be about 1300 or so.  even if i'm off by a factor of 10 we're ok.  What kind of lube do those needle bearing need?  there won't be any except a mist.  almost prefer ball bearings.

The stock tensioner is pretty stiff and the arm that attaches to the adjuster is riveted on then the bearing material is over molded.  The tensioner would make a good starting point.  The shaft for the bear could be a shoulder bolt and the arm of the tension removed and a new arm made.  then drilled and tapped for the shaft.  I would think keeping the original bearing surface of the tensioner would be beneficial.  And try to mount the bearing in line with that.

WWW   IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #7 - 04/12/09 at 00:54:18

ok, if lower gear is 60mm, and turning at 6500 rpm, the proposed bearing is doing 26k.... well within spec.... i think we have our bearing locations at opposite ends in our visions... the most efficient method of taking up slack in a chain is extending the distance between gears, but short of stacking stainless shim stock head gaskets, that's impossible in this situation.... next comes wrapping the chain further around the larger gear on the slack slde(this is what the forward shoulder of the rear tensioner does when new, though only enough to pilot the chain down the tunnel)... it has the added benefit of decreasing the per-tooth load on the driven gear (in theory, but with as little actual slack as these chains have, it probably wont be a factor in this example)... about the least efficient method is what happens when the plastic wears, wrapping the slack side of the smaller gear... this is what the vershlagy does.... i checked how the dr650 handles slack adjustment, and it's basically the same grenade adjuster, just designed to go through the back wall of the chain tunnel in the jug...this puts the adjuster in a place where it only ratchets out 1/2 as far to do the same amount of adjustment, gives it less leverage advantage to bend the tensioner, and moves the "wrap" to a midpoint between both gears... that's why no reports of the same problem.... my idea is to use the bearing to tuck the TOP end of the chain, on the slack side, closer to the centerline of the 2 gears... either by using a modification of the original tensioner form (and retaining auto adjusting), or, if that proves too daunting a task, by using the existing pivot bolt for the tensioner( in the head, not the adjuster in the case), as a pivot point for a dog-legged lever, with the bearing at the tip..... manual adjustment done by a bolt/jamnut combo drilled and tapped through the rear wall of the head.... at this location, the bearing will be awash in the bearing splash of the center and right cam bearings, so im fairly certain an adequate supply will be available to it.... as to the mounting to the adjuster/tensioner, as the ground sleeve already requires a press step in the assembly, it would be easiest to to just make the 5mm pin an interference fit to the holes in the bracket, and press it through the 3 at once, ensuring it can never unscrew, un dove tail, etc.... i agree a ball bearing is a much more ideal form for the idea, but the available space constraints kind of demand a needle bearing..... still not happy with 18 bucks for the bearing sleeve combo, though it will be the most expensive component by far....

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/13/09 at 00:11:35

where am i?

All very interesting and confusing enough to grab my attention. Visual aids maybe?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 04/13/09 at 08:37:53

I think the intent of the current system is to wrap the driver sprocket with as much chain as possible.  Since it's greater than 180° wrap, the likelyhood of the chain disengaging is minimised.

I've seen almost no wear on the leading edge of the tensioner guide and I don't think it's designed to wrap the chain around the driven sprocket.  And being that this gear is twice the size of the driving gear, don't think chain wrap is important here.

I was thinking of a manual adjuster when we were discussing this long ago.  There is a spot on the lower rear cylinder where a fin or two could be faced off and a threaded hole created.  

I also looked at what it would take for the chain to be disengaged.  Manually, very difficult.  But this is why some chains are broken I'm sure.  As when the chain climbs the sprocket enough to disengage, it's about to hit the case.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 04:12:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › another cam chain epiphany

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.