Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Thoughts or recommendations wanted (Read 312 times)
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Thoughts or recommendations wanted
04/10/09 at 14:46:21

Just got my clutch cover gasket today from Bike Bandit.  Ordered Sunday night.  Shipped to north Alabama.  Gonna open her up and take a peek this weekend to investigate the recent, sudden internal noise coming from the engine's right side.   I'll also do valve adjustment, check head bolts and check decomp solenoid adjustment.  I got a head gasket as well for whenever I need it.  

Any other thoughts or recommendations of things to check or do while I got it apart?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Thoughts or recommendations wanted
Reply #1 - 04/10/09 at 15:06:09

Use Goo putting the plug back in.
A piece of cardboard with holes for the bolts to keep them in order helps.
Remember to hold the clutch cable attachment point UP when you go back together.
You mivht consider replacing the Oring the clutch actuator runs thru.
Its cheap & easy to do, but requires pulling the clutch cover & well,, you know. Mine leaks, I dont know anyone else who is whining about that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/12/09 at 09:51:00

diamond jim wrote on 04/10/09 at 14:46:21:
Just got my clutch cover gasket today from Bike Bandit.  Ordered Sunday night.  Shipped to north Alabama.  Gonna open her up and take a peek this weekend to investigate the recent, sudden internal noise coming from the engine's right side.   I'll also do valve adjustment, check head bolts and check decomp solenoid adjustment.  I got a head gasket as well for whenever I need it.  

Any other thoughts or recommendations of things to check or do while I got it apart?

Take pics of what you first find and post them here so we can all learn from it.
Sometimes those noises sound like a cash register ringing up sales in the parts department.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #3 - 04/12/09 at 17:00:06

Ha ha, will do.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #4 - 04/13/09 at 21:28:44

Diamond,

If you've got some miles on the bike, you might invest in a Verslavy.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #5 - 04/13/09 at 21:55:55

We think alike.  Actually I'm making the Slavy this week.  I've only got 1300 miles on the '06 but the cam chain tensioner arm was already out 16mm.  I'm gonna see if the guy who runs the welding program at my college can do it for me.  I printed off before and after pics and have shaped a steel file for him to weld on as the extender.  I can shape it after the welding is done.  With both pieces being hardened steel, he'll need to heat it prior to welding then heat it again afterwards with a very slow cool down.  He's got all of the ovens and stuff to do it.  Best I could do is probably heat the finished product and then bury it in sand for the slow cool down but he has the knowledge and equipment to do it right.  I know little about welding but I do know that working with hardened steel is different than just welding two pieces of mild steel together.  If for some reason that falls through then I'll send it to Verslagen and let him work his magic.  

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 04/13/09 at 22:50:42

the plunger is plain steel, case hardened.  very hard shell, soft in the middle.  very impact resistant.  I use 300 series stainless.  The guy I use makes perfect welds, If I grind it right you can't see the weld line.

WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #7 - 04/14/09 at 09:09:32

verslagen1 wrote on 04/13/09 at 22:50:42:
the plunger is plain steel, case hardened.  very hard shell, soft in the middle.  very impact resistant.  I use 300 series stainless.  The guy I use makes perfect welds, If I grind it right you can't see the weld line.

Yours look sharp like it comes from the factory that way.  

So, I go over and see the guy who runs the welding program.  We talk, examine pictures and examine the parts.  He says,"Sure, we can do it- but why don't you go see so-and-so who runs the machining program and see if they can just make you a new one that's longer." Huh? Cool.  So I go see the guy over there and tell him the welding guy sent me over. We talk, examine pictures, take measurements and so on.  "Sure, we can do it.  No problem."  Awesome.  The notches on the bottom didn't seem to phase him one bit.  The advanced students will identify the metal, take measurements, set up the program, machine the part and case harden it afterwards.  Shoot, I never would have thought of machining a new part.   I told him to make 2.  I'll post pics when I get them.    

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 04/14/09 at 10:17:57

Cool, go back and ask how much for a hundred.   Grin

The head doesn't need the shape, can be straight.

WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #9 - 04/14/09 at 10:28:10

It would be a great way to raise funds for the program's extracarrilular activitites.

IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 04/14/09 at 10:45:17

Heck if it turns out for the better, I'm def. interested in getting one of the machined parts.  Might even be able to find someone local to weld on the extension on my pin.  

-matt

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #11 - 04/14/09 at 19:16:37

Checked my valve clearances tonight and discovered that one of my intake valves was out of spec on the loose side.  It's set now.  

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #12 - 04/15/09 at 16:03:09

diamond jim wrote on 04/14/09 at 09:09:32:
verslagen1 wrote on 04/13/09 at 22:50:42:

Yours look sharp like it comes from the factory that way.  

So, I go over and see the guy who runs the welding program.  We talk, examine pictures and examine the parts.  He says,"Sure, we can do it- but why don't you go see so-and-so who runs the machining program and see if they can just make you a new one that's longer." Huh? Cool.  So I go see the guy over there and tell him the welding guy sent me over. We talk, examine pictures, take measurements and so on.  "Sure, we can do it.  No problem."  Awesome.  The notches on the bottom didn't seem to phase him one bit.  The advanced students will identify the metal, take measurements, set up the program, machine the part and case harden it afterwards.  Shoot, I never would have thought of machining a new part.   I told him to make 2.  I'll post pics when I get them.    

Can you get them to make one without the ratchet notches and two o-ring grooves?????

My thought pattern.....  Grin... I really think the ratchet is the cause of the failures.  Most likely it would click to the next notch when the engine is cold and then the thermal growth of the cylinder over stretches the chain.

I think we need a spring loaded "dampener".  I looked but they don't make dampeners that small.  

So,  I was thinking that if the existing tensioner was used but with o-rings (nice & tight) and the spring inside,  the o-rings would reduce the quick movement and help prevent chain slap.  The spring would give the required pressure.  The O-rings would also let the tensioner pull back in (slowly) during thermal growth.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #13 - 04/15/09 at 16:23:21

Don't know.  I'm not gonna say anything right now.  I'm getting it for free so I don't want to impose.  

If all goes well and it feels cool to ask I'll see if they could make more or possibly experiment to see if they can make it better or both.  It's not a business.  It's a top notch machinist program.  The director is my equal so I know how it's cool to have students do other stuff to help outside people out but also how quickly external stuff can start to interfere with lesson plans and divert time that needs to be spent on learning and completing lab assignments.  They are doing me an awesome favor.  I'll see though.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 08:25:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Thoughts or recommendations wanted

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.