Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Johns' cam chain pin size (Read 196 times)
aliassmith

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Johns' cam chain pin size
04/09/09 at 11:21:13

About a year or so ago I bought one of Johns' cam chains for the day when I would need one.  Well that day has come.  How ever, when I
stretched them side by side for measuring, I noticed that on Johns' chain the pins seem to be a smaller diameter.  Have any of you noticed this?
Does Johns' chain last any more miles than the stock one?  Or vice versa?  I went ahead and put it in anyway since the other was worn to almost the max allowable.

Aliassmith

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Johns' cam chain pin size
Reply #1 - 04/09/09 at 11:27:08

Haven't measured the stock chain or the new one, but I think the stock chain is riveted in place.

No one puts enough miles in a year to wear out a chain.

WWW   IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/10/09 at 09:22:52

No one puts enough miles in a year to wear out a chain. [/quote]

Surprize! Wrong answer

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #3 - 04/10/09 at 10:22:30

I put on 8000 last year and that was just going to work.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 04/10/09 at 11:15:14

Phelonius wrote on 04/10/09 at 09:22:52:

Surprize! Wrong answer

Phelonius [/quote]

keeping secrets?   Huh

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #5 - 04/10/09 at 11:58:41

verslagen1 wrote on 04/10/09 at 11:15:14:
Phelonius wrote on 04/10/09 at 09:22:52:
Quote:

Surprize! Wrong answer

Phelonius

keeping secrets?   Huh

I think Beatduck did ........    Wink

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/12/09 at 09:46:28

No,  not keeping secrets. I put 15 tousand on the first year then swapped engines with a new one and put another 15 thousand on the second year. I am now rebuilding the first engine so that I will be ready to engage this years riding season with a fresh engine again.
If I ever get another new engine, or a new S-40 again, I will be tempted to open it up and measure how much the adjuster protrudes in an unused engine just to have a datum point to guestimate the life of the chain unit by comparing it with the measurements I have taken after 15,000 miles on the engines I already have.
I have such an admiration for this model engine, I have no desire to buy some other brand or model. I sort of like the idea of staying with it and seeing just how dependable I can make it.
As you all know, this engine is destined to become a cult classic like the 650 verticle twin Yamaha did. While not as powerful as the Yamaha, it gets better milage and I think has better ridability like a wider torque band and less vibration.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 04/12/09 at 09:57:41

So I was correct in my 1st statement "No one puts enough miles in a year to wear out a chain."

15k is not enough to wear out a chain or to stretch it beyond factory spec.  You may exceed the 18mm plunger extension, but that's not factory and indicates the guides are worn.

WWW   IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #8 - 04/12/09 at 10:56:13

I bought my '06 last year with 3,000 miles on it. I opened it up, because it was leaking oil through the clutch cover gasket near the front bottom cylinder nut behind the oil filler cap. The plunger was extended 18mm then. I am almost positive that NEW isn't gonna be any less.

IP Logged
aliassmith

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 04/13/09 at 09:52:10

verslagen1 wrote on 04/12/09 at 09:57:41:
So I was correct in my 1st statement "No one puts enough miles in a year to wear out a chain."

15k is not enough to wear out a chain or to stretch it beyond factory spec.  You may exceed the 18mm plunger extension, but that's not factory and indicates the guides are worn.

I don't say mine was worn out, but it did measure enough wear that I didn't want to start another summer season with it.  My opinion is that if you try to get maximum wear from it you are risking catastrophic problems. I do not wish to be near Toad Suck Arkansas, where there is probably no motorsickle help, when it happens.
At my age, I value my riding season greatly and really do not want to waste it doing repairs that could be prevented. Since I had the engine apart for the cylinder enlargement anyway, I removed the cam chain and measured the wear, compared it to the new chain and opted to use the new chain. Not only am I ahead in maintainence, but it has improved my understanding of cam chain wear.

Aliassmith

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #10 - 04/13/09 at 10:26:26

aliassmith wrote on 04/13/09 at 09:52:10:
I... I do not wish to be near Toad Suck Arkansas, where there is probably no motorsickle help, when it happens...

What's wrong with Toad Suck, AR?  The local mechanic is fully healed following his hernia surgery, the combo gas station + video rental store just expanded and they got a new Hyosung dealer in town.  They uh... well... uh...

Nah, you're right.  Don't wanna get stuck there either.  

IP Logged
aliassmith

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 04/13/09 at 10:38:05

diamond jim wrote on 04/13/09 at 10:26:26:
aliassmith wrote on 04/13/09 at 09:52:10:
I... I do not wish to be near Toad Suck Arkansas, where there is probably no motorsickle help, when it happens...

What's wrong with Toad Suck, AR?  The local mechanic is fully healed following his hernia surgery, the combo gas station + video rental store just expanded and they got a new Hyosung dealer in town.  They uh... well... uh...

Nah, you're right.  Don't wanna get stuck there either.  

I am my own mechanic but how would I get parts when the UPS truck can't find the place or is afraid to go there?

Aliassmith

IP Logged
matt

da na na na na
mattman

Winter Springs, FL
Reply #12 - 04/13/09 at 11:12:26

Hello Everyone,

I am Matt, i am new to this forum, just have been reading posts for now. I am also new to motorcycles, i keep hearing horror stories about the cam chain and got me curious about it Huh

I looked through past posts but can only find out they blow up Shocked or get to stretched and can Casue knocking. i do hear a knock after a while of riding, but not sure where it comes from, i will try upping to the 93 octane to see if it is that at all.

Whats the deal with this problem? and what does the performance chain do differently, What is this verlsavy i keep seeing refered to in posts? What is upgrading the cams, and what does that do?

Any info or sites that might enlighten me would be appreciated.

Thanks all!

Matt H

PS Sorry for all the noob questions! im the type who is always very curious about how and why things work and for the bike i can only get so much from reading the clymers.

Purchased 2002 Savage with 7700 mi few weeks ago Grin Grin One of the greatest days of my life, so far..  Wink

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 04/13/09 at 11:31:37

welcome to the club.

Most likely, a valve adjustment will solve your knocking problem.

info on the verslavy can be found in the marketplace.

info on checking the cam chain adjuster can be found in the tect section.

I used to say someone with less than 10k doesn't need to worry about the cam chain problem.  But I've just learned about one with 1300 miles that the plunger is extended 16mm.  18mm is the recommended fix limit (replace chain and guides)  You can go to about 22mm before the plunger falls out and causes damage.

WWW   IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #14 - 04/13/09 at 11:46:52

matt wrote on 04/13/09 at 11:12:26:
i do hear a knock after a while of riding, but not sure where it comes from, i will try upping to the 93 octane to see if it is that at all.

Someone correct me if Im wrong but I dont think that's a good idea.  

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 23:18:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Johns' cam chain pin size

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.