Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Removing Badges from '08 S40? (Read 138 times)
S40Geezer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Removing Badges from '08 S40?
04/09/09 at 05:40:24

I'm under the (possibly incorrect) impression that with a hair dryer or other heat source and some Goo Gone I can remove the plastic "Boulevard" tank badges from my 2008 S40.  

I'd like to do this, but only if the surface beneath them is pristine and otherwise unblemished.  Ideally I'd also like to avoid damaging the emblems in the process.  Has any anybody done this successfully, and if so, can you advise on how to best proceed?

I don't even want to try it if I'm not going to end up with clean removal without filling, painting, etc.

Also, I'm assuming the "Suzuki" sticker on the back fender, which looks to be a clear sticker, could be removed this way as well.  Correct?

This isn't an effort to disguise the bike.  I just think it would look cleaner without the sticker and the emblems.

Thanks in advance for any help.

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Re: Removing Badges from '08 S40?
Reply #1 - 04/09/09 at 05:43:12

Correct... Suzuki started putting the emblems and stickers on after paint and clear coat on the S40's... The Savages had their decals under the clear coat and it made it (a little) harder to remove.

Heat them up with a hair dryer and pull. They should come right off... All of mine did with minimal effort. Any leftover gunk came off with a rag and Goo Gone.

(Note - I didn't remove my tank emblems... But, they're similar to the S40 ones on the airbox covers)

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
S40Geezer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/09/09 at 05:46:27

Wow.  Thanks for this quick response.  If I also remove the S40 emblems from the side covers this way is there any indentation in the covers under those badges?

And to clarify, are you saying that once the tank badges are gone there's no indentation, etc. present in the tank (just smooth sides)?

Thanks again!

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #3 - 04/09/09 at 06:11:11

The tank and side covers aren't indented for the decals.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #4 - 04/09/09 at 06:14:01

I have an 87 savage.  I am almost certain the stickers are over the clearcoat, it sure seems that way to me and anyone that I have asked to look.  I am really thinking about taking them off, but have not got the time just yet.  I was wondering about what the paint would be like underneath.  I have read the threads and some say just a buff and fluff is all you need.  Any thoughts on this Simon or anyone else?

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #5 - 04/09/09 at 06:17:05

I have no personal experience with the Savages and their decals... It's my understanding though that the decals were put on before the clear coat was sprayed.

Once you removed the decal(s), you would have those spots where clear coat wasn't covering. From all the posts... It seems like a good coating of wax is all you need to make it look factory again... But, I'm no expert. You're talking about 21 years of being in the sun! The paint under the decals could be brighter than that on the rest of the tank or any number of things.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #6 - 04/09/09 at 06:21:51

That is all true Simon, I had not thought about the sun.  The paint seems to be in good shape though, but you never kow until you take it off.  I guess I will just have to think about it a while longer.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
doc5446

Into the night...

Randolph, Ohio
Reply #7 - 04/09/09 at 07:37:55

I think I'm gonna do this to mine, too. I already took all the stickers off, might as well do the badges. We don't need no stinkin' badges!!!

K&N air filter, stage 1 jet set, SuperTrapp megaphone exhaust, solo seat w/ clothespin springs, stainless seatpan w/ fenderbib.1971 CB front fender and mirror.
  IP Logged
cowspotter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ashburn, VA
Reply #8 - 04/09/09 at 10:02:30

I really want to take off my tank badges. Those things irritate my knees sometimes when i'm sitting on the bike. I can reposition myself so my knees don't reach that high, but its still annoying.

IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reply #9 - 04/09/09 at 10:41:40

I have an '07 and took off the tank badges about 2 weeks ago.
Equipment list:  12 pound fishing line, the Goo removal stuff, hair dryer, a short narrow piece of wood and my fingers.

Heated the emblem with the dryer and started to pry up the ends of the emblem with my finger. Worked the piece of fishing line in between the tank and the emblem and moved it back and forth in a saw like motion. Pried the emblem up a little more with the fingers and then used the hair dryer again. Repeat the process. I used the small piece of wood when I was about half way along to hold the emblem away from the tank while I used the fishing line. The line tends to get caked with glue so I used several pieces. A little patience and it's done. The hardest job is getting all the left over glue off the tank but when it was done and after some polish you'd never know there was anything there. The other side is easier.

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 04/09/09 at 10:52:27

Hello Geezer,

I can't speak for the Suzuki paint, but I recently took the large side panel factory decals off a silver 1999 Isuzu Amigo. The truck has been in Phoenix for years. Those of you that have lived out here know what the Arizona sun will do to paint. I used a hair dryer and took my time. The plastic decals came off with little effort and zero damage to the paint. To my surprise, there was no paint discoloration. You will be lucky to save the decals. I believe the risk of color change would be less on a dark color than on metallic.
Please post some before and after pictures for us if you can.

JohnBoy

IP Logged
aliassmith

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 04/09/09 at 11:13:14

Heat gun and dental floss. Then use turpentine to remove any leftover synthetic booger. Turpentine will not harm the factory paint.

Aliassmith

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/15/24 at 11:23:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Removing Badges from '08 S40?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.