Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
rear brake light adjustment (Read 164 times)
Valowen
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

rear brake light adjustment
04/08/09 at 22:34:59

Any chance anyone can post a pic of where the rear brake light adjustment is? I understand from the posts it is on the frame somewhere, but I have a 2002 savage and can't find it. It would help if I knew what it looked like.

« Last Edit: 04/11/09 at 19:32:27 by Valowen »  
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Re: rear brake light adjustment
Reply #1 - 04/09/09 at 04:52:03

Standing on the right side of the bike, squat down and look into the triangular space created by the back edge of the right side cover, swing arm and bottom of the rear fender.   It's sort of hidden in there.  It's a black switch with a little post extending out with a spring then cable attached.  The locking nuts use a 10mm open end wrench.  

Download and save this owner's manual PDF for future references:
http://home.comcast.net/~kenglong/2002_Suzuki_Savage_LS650P_Owners_Manual.pdf

BTW, did you get the rear turn signal wiring figured out?

IP Logged
Valowen
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/10/09 at 16:32:16

Thanks for the help in finding the rear brake light adjust. And yes, I figured out the wiring issue. The signal had a bad ground. Now she's all ready to ride again....just need to keep the wife's hands off her.

IP Logged
Valowen
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/11/09 at 09:07:11

So with the adjustment I can get it to turn on and off, but the rear brake pedal isn't effecting it....does that mean something came unhooked in the pedal area? pushing the rear brake pedal isn't moving the wire that is attached to the rear brake light adjutment thing.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #4 - 04/11/09 at 13:16:01

Did you over adjust meaning too loose?  I doubt anything came loose unless you intentionally took something loose.  Does pressing the rear brake pedal move the little tension spring at all?

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #5 - 04/11/09 at 14:54:47

The rear brake brake-light switch is triggered by a cable running to the pedal.    And, there is a little spring between the cable and the switch.   Check to make sure everything is connected.

then....  to adjust....

-First get the brake to work at the spot / position where you like it.

-Second, adjust the light switch to come on just after you hit the brakes but before the brakes start to grab.  That way you can give the "too-close-for-comfort" warning by tapping the pedal.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Valowen
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/11/09 at 19:32:07

Yeah, adjustment can only get it to turn on or off, so something must have come off between the adjustment knob and the pedal. Pushing the brake pedal doesn't move the cable and spring attached to the adjustment knob at all. I appeciate the help from everyone, atleast I know where the issue is now. It will just be a matter getting the time to remove the pedal and looking around now. I am just happy I don't have to hunt down another short!! You guys are great.

IP Logged
sneakyB
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/27/12 at 16:08:44

the rear brake light cable has come unconnected from my pedal.  I see the cable (with a small metal endcap) and there is a brass triangular piece on the pedal assembly that looks like the cable is supposed to attach to, but I can't get it to stay.  How does the cable connect to the pedal thing?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:22:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › rear brake light adjustment

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.