Send Topic Print
Starting  ? (Read 124 times)
Jimmer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NewportPa.
Starting  ?
04/08/09 at 14:53:54

Ive done the carburetor modification, HD muffler installed, and replaced the stock air filter with a KN RC1250 filter. Now here is my problem. When I first try to start the bike,after it sits for a while ,like over night,it does not want to start. It turns over but does seem to want to fire off. I pull the choke out one click, turns over three or so times and fires right off.After that starts off after one or two tries, with out the choke. The only thing I have not changed is the spark plug. I'll do that tomorrow after work. Any other suggestion on where and what else to look for. Thanks for your help.

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Re: Starting  ?
Reply #1 - 04/08/09 at 15:10:44

Just curious... what did you do to the carb?

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Jimmer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NewportPa.
Reply #2 - 04/08/09 at 15:15:28

I  did the Lancer rebuild and every thing seemed to be good until I went to the KN air filter.

IP Logged
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #3 - 04/09/09 at 10:42:22

I just got my 97 together after doing the same mods. I also did the speedo rattle elimination, removed airbox, shifted battery box back and lifted the seat. I did change my plug at the same time over to a NGK Iridium.
Took her out for a test run and she still wants to backfire and my idle seems choppy. I adjusted my air mix screw and actually heard a difference this time but did not help the problem. After starting a couple times it seems to be struggling to idle.
I'm wondering if I need a second washer put in on the needle and whether that would even make a difference?

Sorry Jimmer I know this doesn't help you any but just so you know your not the only one experiencing the joys of engine tuning after modding!!!   Angry

Good luck.

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 04/09/09 at 11:37:02

Jimmer wrote on 04/08/09 at 14:53:54:
Ive done the carburetor modification, HD muffler installed, and replaced the stock air filter with a KN RC1250 filter. Now here is my problem. When I first try to start the bike,after it sits for a while ,like over night,it does not want to start. It turns over but does seem to want to fire off. I pull the choke out one click, turns over three or so times and fires right off.After that starts off after one or two tries, with out the choke. The only thing I have not changed is the spark plug. I'll do that tomorrow after work. Any other suggestion on where and what else to look for. Thanks for your help.  

Maybe I'm missing something... what's the problem?

cold starts may need half or full choke - normal.
warm starts may not need any choke - normal.

WWW   IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #5 - 04/09/09 at 11:45:11

Pull out choke all the way and hit the starter. Still chilly in the northeast, so that's what I'm doing. May take 3 turns, but fires up. Wait 5 seconds push in half way, another 5-10 seconds and all the way in and start giving her gas. Bike is close to the ocean, so cold and damp most mornings/evenings.

FSO
  IP Logged
Jimmer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NewportPa.
Reply #6 - 04/09/09 at 14:29:05

I guess my problem was the colder weather. This morning it was around 38 degrees, pulled the choke out half way and fire off after the third time.After sitting out in the sun all day,at work, I hit the starter and it fired right off. Appears the starting problem was not a problem at all, but a operator intelligence problem. Thanks for your help.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/15/24 at 11:25:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Starting  ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.