Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Thread for Front Brake Pad Change (Read 217 times)
sitkasavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Thread for Front Brake Pad Change
04/07/09 at 15:44:13

I seem to remember a thread for changing the front brakes with pictures, but can't find it again.  Can anyone help?

PS There isn't a Suzuki Dealership, or parts store that carries the applicable parts, for hundreds of miles.  Any suggestions for a the best on-line store?

IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Re: Thread for Front Brake Pad Change
Reply #1 - 04/07/09 at 16:14:59

"You are the choices you make in life..... I choose to Play Hard.... Ride Hard.... or Die Hard!"
Chopped BullChopped   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 04/07/09 at 17:57:52

if i did it you can too
piece of cake...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #3 - 04/07/09 at 22:27:41

Totally easy. Took me all of 20 minutes, and I'm a nube with almost zero mechanical ability.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
BOWDIER

OCALA, FL
Reply #4 - 04/08/09 at 17:43:24

thanks maybe I will get up the  nerve to do it now too

BOWDIER 2006 RED S40
  IP Logged
Rustbucket

Reply #5 - 04/09/09 at 17:03:12

BOWDIER wrote on 04/08/09 at 17:43:24:
thanks maybe I will get up the  nerve to do it now too

It's very easy to do, 20 min job. and you should be able to push the caliper piston in by hand. I did, it went in smooth and easy. I'm ready to do pads again on mine, I rarely use the rear brake because i'd rather change the front pads 1000 times if it saves me from wearing out the rear!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 04/10/09 at 13:46:19

The rear helps balance the stop. Wearing it out would take years. Replacing them is easy enough anyway. Nothing like a car drum brake.
How do you handle needing to make a quick stop? What if the road is sandy or theres loose gravel? I think a rider would be safer if he was comfortable using both brakes & practiced emergency stops using both. I see others complain about the front not being stout enough, but I can haul in on mine & make the front tire squall, which makes me loosen up on the grip a tad. Since the rear brake mod I can get it shut down a good bit quicker & not slide the rear tire.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 04/10/09 at 13:53:56

Justin,

What rear brake mod are you talking about?

-Matt

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 04/10/09 at 17:30:10

I used a grinder & with the edge of the disk sliced several grooves across the brake pad & tapered the leading edges so it doesnt lock up so easily.Now I can actually push on it hard enough to feel it with my ankle & I can  modulate it. Before, I barely touched it & it would slide the tire,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rustbucket

Reply #9 - 04/10/09 at 18:07:34

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/10/09 at 13:46:19:
The rear helps balance the stop. Wearing it out would take years. Replacing them is easy enough anyway. Nothing like a car drum brake.
How do you handle needing to make a quick stop? What if the road is sandy or theres loose gravel? I think a rider would be safer if he was comfortable using both brakes & practiced emergency stops using both. I see others complain about the front not being stout enough, but I can haul in on mine & make the front tire squall, which makes me loosen up on the grip a tad. Since the rear brake mod I can get it shut down a good bit quicker & not slide the rear tire.

If that was directed at me, I didn't mean to imply that i never use the rear brake. When i need to shut it down in a hurry i use front and rear ofcourse, When i need the rear brake i use it as needed.
I meant that 90 something percent of the time you're riding straight line when coming up to a stop sign or red light. Those are the times when i'll use only the front brake. Plus i dont really ride hard up to a stop light so.. The prev owner of my bike wore out the front brake in 2500 miles, Now at 5000 miles it's time to replace it again. Just bought some EBC pads today for mine.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 04/10/09 at 19:43:58

I always hit my rear brake first then the front,I also use the back brake more,I know they say thats not the right way but it feels right to me.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 04/10/09 at 20:15:32

Heck, Bucket, I do that,too. I just make sure I use the rear enough to stay good at it. If Im just rolling up to a stop, Ill run thru the gears & shut down using just the front most of the time. Not only because the front brake is cheap & easy to replace, the rear tire doesnt need any more wear than its getting. If I dont use it for a lot of stopping, maybe it'll last another 15 minutes.

IP Logged
Rustbucket

Reply #12 - 04/11/09 at 12:57:33

haha, I never considered the added wear on the rear tire.  I did my front brakes this morning and oil/filter change. The pads still had about 1/3 left on them but i changed them out anyway. I'd guess my driving habits show me needing to do the front pads every 3000 or so miles.

IP Logged
KWKaletta

The Savage Cycle

Zanesville, IN
Reply #13 - 04/11/09 at 23:09:18

I dreaded changing the front brakes.  I found that when I finally quit procrastinating the hardest part was finding a c-clamp to compress the caliper so I could put the new pads on.  Use the old brake pad under the c-clamp. Cheesy

Impossible - A word for the doing of which has not yet been learned.
  IP Logged
Rustbucket

Reply #14 - 04/12/09 at 12:41:48

KWKaletta wrote on 04/11/09 at 23:09:18:
I dreaded changing the front brakes.  I found that when I finally quit procrastinating the hardest part was finding a c-clamp to compress the caliper so I could put the new pads on.  Use the old brake pad under the c-clamp. Cheesy

Or just push the caliper piston in by hand. Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 22:23:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Thread for Front Brake Pad Change

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.