Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Fuel in my Airbox?
Reply #15 - 04/07/09 at 14:36:48

if you have fuel in the vac line - ever - the diaphram in the petcock has had it

IP Logged
Seth C.

Tucson, AZ
Reply #16 - 04/08/09 at 06:58:42

Got it. Sorry was a little slow yesterday. Ordered the Raptor petcock, pulling the tank, changing petcock, oil, oil filter, air filter. That should cover it right?

BTW, thanks alot for all the help. I really appreciate it.

2001 Suzuki Savage LS650
WWW   IP Logged
DavetheDog
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Richmond, VA
Reply #17 - 04/08/09 at 07:27:27

Seth C. wrote on 04/07/09 at 13:33:02:
darn I thought I had it covered. To make things simple, what is the best way to determine if it is a bad petcock or bad float valve? Thanks to all who have helped already.

Now that you have a new vac line installed on the petcock, at least you know if was dry when you put it on. To make it simple… disconnect the end of the vac line that connects to your carb. If it is wet with gas, your petcock is bad. Replace it. Get the same one or get the raptor that many people here seem to like.

If it is not wet than that is not the problem. The petcock has a diaphragm in it. When the engine is running the there is a vaccum created inside the hose that pulls on the diaphragm, opens a valve and allows fuel too flow through the petcock. If there is fuel in the vac line… the diaphragm is leaking. (see first paragraph).

If it is okay, the problem is probably with your float valve. Maybe it is not adjusted correctly or the float is filled with fluid. Sounds like the valve is not closing and gravity continues to pull fuel into the bowl and the extra fuel is overflowing into your air box. If this is the case you will most likely need to disassemble the bottom half of your carb and do some inspecting/tuning/fixing.

I suggest:
1. Buying yourself a clymers manual.
2. http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1180437249
3. http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1191899985
4. Fully understanding what your about to do/fix before you go about doing it and risking more damage.

Now this is all new to me as well but the guys on this forum are great. I am sure they will correct me if anything above is incorrect.

IP Logged
daweise1

Old school, new
school, I cheated in
both.....

Pataskala (Cols.) Ohio
Reply #18 - 04/08/09 at 07:27:35

I know I'm late to the party, but there is another possible source to fuel in one's airbox..... The tank itself is leaking and running down the frame.......

How do I know you ask???? next person that looks for a fuel tank to play with will find out for sure, but the mounting bracket weld to the tank seemed to have failed on mine.......

That was 8 months ago and the Harley replacement should FINALLY be mounted this weekend.... Grin

Dyna SE II Black muffler, HD Touring tank(6gals), Pingel petcock, HD Heel rest, Custom handlebars(Rock Chops), Adjure Flamed Headlight with spotlights, HD Flamed Signals, Oldys Gangster Fenders, Paint
  IP Logged
Seth C.

Tucson, AZ
Reply #19 - 04/11/09 at 08:35:24

Ok, The bike was down for a couple of days while I was waiting for my new petcock (the Raptor 660 one). While it was apart I did the seat lift in prep for my winter project (removing the battery box, going to a cone or kamakazi filter and moving the battery into the old airbox). I also fixed the speedo rattle. I'm installing the new petcock today and getting ready to change the oil and filter as I'm pretty sure there is fuel in there. It is recomended to drain the oil HOT. I was also told not to start the engine utill the oil was changed do to the fuel in the oil as it would damage parts. So my question is, run it or don't run it before draining the oil?

2001 Suzuki Savage LS650
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 04/11/09 at 08:56:01

usually you do it hot so all the contaminates are suspended and go out with the oil.

in this case, starting with diluted oil will cause more problems than leaving a few contaminants in.

change it cold.

WWW   IP Logged
Seth C.

Tucson, AZ
Reply #21 - 04/11/09 at 09:52:35

verslagen1 wrote on 04/11/09 at 08:56:01:
usually you do it hot so all the contaminates are suspended and go out with the oil.

in this case, starting with diluted oil will cause more problems than leaving a few contaminants in.

change it cold.

Gotcha. Just in time too. I just got the new petcock on and the tank reinstalled. Time for that oil change. Wink

2001 Suzuki Savage LS650
WWW   IP Logged
Seth C.

Tucson, AZ
Reply #22 - 04/11/09 at 11:40:26

OMG what happened!? I did everything right I thought. Petcock seems to be working fine. I did the oil change, started it up and then POP! Is this MAJOR? Do I just need to order the new cover? How did this happen? WTF? Please help. Thanks.

2001 Suzuki Savage LS650
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 04/11/09 at 11:45:24

Oh oh!, did you put the oil filter in the correct way?

You're going to need a new cover.  then should be ok.

WWW   IP Logged
Seth C.

Tucson, AZ
Reply #24 - 04/11/09 at 11:46:56

Ok, thanks for the quick response. I'm freaking out right now. I'll double check everythig again.

Update: Yep put the oil filter in backwards. SOAB! Now this is gonna cost me an extra $42.79. My ol'lady is gonna kill me. I guess I'll know better next time. Sad

2001 Suzuki Savage LS650
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #25 - 04/11/09 at 12:00:20

WWW   IP Logged
Seth C.

Tucson, AZ
Reply #26 - 04/11/09 at 15:22:51

Do you guys have a good reliable online source for parts? This is the part # 16512-24B00
Here's the deal, I ordered it from my local dealership at a cost of $49.26 and it won't get here till Friday (maybe) the order doesn't go in untill Tuesday.
I then got smart and looked up the part # myself and looked online. After a short search I found this: https://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/cart.php?mode=checkout
3 day delivery for $11 cheaper? Shocked
I'm thinking of cancelling my order and getting it online but am not sure if it is a reputable site/buisness. Do you use anyone imperticular?

2001 Suzuki Savage LS650
WWW   IP Logged
dr1445

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 04/11/09 at 15:33:46

perhaps a local welding shop that does aluminum welding can save you a few $.

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #28 - 04/11/09 at 15:35:35

it's a dealership.... some really slam for parts, others are more reasonable... 20-odd years ago, the local honda dealer in rockland county ny charged almost double what a dealer 20 miles away in NJ did... needless to say if i needed much more than an oil filter or o-ring, i drove the 20 miles..... some dealers are more parts/accessories oriented than others... in miami, you can find dealers that barely stock more than filters, and others with huge inventories of parts.... you just happened to find the dealer that stocks, and is willing to take the risk that another sale may come along before his kid goes to medical school, so he's not going to try to make the first years tuition off your filter cover....lol

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #29 - 04/11/09 at 15:57:32

bikebandit
$28 not inc shipping
and they are usually fast.

I have an old one that will need polishing

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 11:26:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuel in my Airbox?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.