Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Fuel in my Airbox? (Read 428 times)
Seth C.

Tucson, AZ
Fuel in my Airbox?
04/07/09 at 08:20:49

Lately when I park at night, fuel is getting into my airbox. This in turn is getting my airfilter wet with fuel. When I open it all up, take out the air filter, let it all dry out, it starts right up and runs great. I ride to work or home (15m) by the time I get there the airfilter is wet again and the bike seems starved for air. So I open it back up, let it dry, and so on. Last weekend I didn't take the bike out. It sat for 2 days and had so much fuel in the airbox it was pouring out when I stood it upright. Seems it might be a simple soulution to replace the airfilter so it can breath but that might not solve the fuel getting in there issue and just waste another airfilter. Anyone experience this? Suggestions? Oh it's a 2001 LS 650 everything else has been great, I love my bike :'(

« Last Edit: 04/07/09 at 14:17:24 by Seth C. »  

2001 Suzuki Savage LS650
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Fuel in my Airbox?
Reply #1 - 04/07/09 at 08:59:19

Danger will robinson danger!

Fuel in the airbox is not a good thing, especially when it's happening overnite.

Your petcock has failed.  This should stem the flow no matter what.

Either the diaphram is leaking and gas is flowing thru the vac line and thank god you are parking uphill cause it could go the other way into your crankcase.  Check for gas in the vac line.

Or your float valve has also failed and your carb is over flowing into your airbox.

WWW   IP Logged
Seth C.

Tucson, AZ
Reply #2 - 04/07/09 at 09:45:09

verslagen1 wrote on 04/07/09 at 08:59:19:
Check for gas in the vac line.

Thanks for your response. What will this tell me. Petcock or float?

2001 Suzuki Savage LS650
WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 04/07/09 at 09:55:41

Seth C. wrote on 04/07/09 at 09:45:09:

Gas in the vacuum line (on the back of the the petcock) will show if the rubber diaphram in the petcock failed (has a hole or tear) and is letting fuel seep pass.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 04/07/09 at 09:58:00

Fuel in the vac line that runs to the back of the petc0ck will be a failed petc0ck diaphram - likely a really good idea to change the oil any way - unless you're running the bike with the lever set to PRI - this bypasses the vac cutoff in the petc0ck

IP Logged
Seth C.

Tucson, AZ
Reply #5 - 04/07/09 at 09:59:34

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 04/07/09 at 09:55:41:
Seth C. wrote on 04/07/09 at 09:45:09:

Gas in the vacuum line (on the back of the the petcock) will show if the rubber diaphram in the petcock failed (has a hole or tear) and is letting fuel seep pass.

Ok, so just leave the vac line connected to the petcock, disconect the vac line from the carb and NO fuel should be in there...right? If there is then the petcock has failed...correct? Again thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

2001 Suzuki Savage LS650
WWW   IP Logged
Seth C.

Tucson, AZ
Reply #6 - 04/07/09 at 10:18:33

Ok so I checked the vac line (cracked) it was wet with fuel but no fuel in it. I replaced it anyway. The airbox is dry, it started right up. Tonight will tell the tale. I'll ride it home and watch it all night. Fingers crossed no fuel in there in the am. Wish me luck.

2001 Suzuki Savage LS650
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 04/07/09 at 10:35:10

check for fuel in the vac line and watch your oil level closely.
you don't want gas in your oil.

WWW   IP Logged
Seth C.

Tucson, AZ
Reply #8 - 04/07/09 at 10:48:54

verslagen1 wrote on 04/07/09 at 10:35:10:
check for fuel in the vac line and watch your oil level closely.
you don't want gas in your oil.

Sorry, I feel like a noob. We're talking about the same vac line as before right? The one on the back side of the petcock? How would fuel get in my oil? I can see the oil through the window, how will I know if it gets in there?

2001 Suzuki Savage LS650
WWW   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #9 - 04/07/09 at 11:06:29

The fuel can get into your oil by flooding the cylinder and seeping past the rings into your crankcase. Drain your oil and if it smells like fuel, then it is in your oil. Your oil level mysteriously rising will also tell the tail.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Seth C.

Tucson, AZ
Reply #10 - 04/07/09 at 11:11:58

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 04/07/09 at 11:06:29:
The fuel can get into your oil by flooding the cylinder and seeping past the rings into your crankcase. Drain your oil and if it smells like fuel, then it is in your oil. Your oil level mysteriously rising will also tell the tail.

Ok if there IS fuel in my oil and I change it is there anything else I need to look for? Has lasting damage been done?

2001 Suzuki Savage LS650
WWW   IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/07/09 at 11:36:48

You shouldn't even start that engine if you suspect fuel in the oil.  Premature parts wear will be the result, and or even total parts failure.  Better to first resolve the problem, then dump the oil & change the filter if you've determined fuel might have gotten into the oil.

IP Logged
Seth C.

Tucson, AZ
Reply #12 - 04/07/09 at 11:52:02

Arthur wrote on 04/07/09 at 11:36:48:
You shouldn't even start that engine if you suspect fuel in the oil.  Premature parts wear will be the result, and or even total parts failure.  Better to first resolve the problem, then dump the oil & change the filter if you've determined fuel might have gotten into the oil.

Ok I'll leave the bike here at work, have the ol'lady pick me up and do the oil change in the am. I think I fixed the issue with the vac line (it was cracked but no fuel in it, changed in anyway as it was wet like it DID have fuel in it). I guess after the oil change and new air filter I'll just need to watch it to make sure it's not the float valve...right?  Undecided

2001 Suzuki Savage LS650
WWW   IP Logged
cowspotter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ashburn, VA
Reply #13 - 04/07/09 at 12:09:36

I don't think you understand fully. The fuel is in the vacuum line not because the vacuum line is bad, but because the petcock is bad and is leaking fuel into the vacuum line. You are going to need to either replace the petcock with the same petcock, or replace it with the raptor petcock which will be an on/off/reserve style instead of the current reserve/on/prime style.

IP Logged
Seth C.

Tucson, AZ
Reply #14 - 04/07/09 at 13:33:02

darn I thought I had it covered. To make things simple, what is the best way to determine if it is a bad petcock or bad float valve? Thanks to all who have helped already.

2001 Suzuki Savage LS650
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 09:24:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuel in my Airbox?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.