Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Air box removal question (Read 456 times)
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Re: Air box removal question
Reply #15 - 04/07/09 at 12:26:31

I've got the same as Gort.  Well, I switched to it I should say.  I did have the little red, non-tapered cone with a nipple that is slightly smaller than the ID of the tube.  A clamp solved that.  Then I started thinking about how small that little hole is in the nipple.  So I went and got one like Gort's.  It may not necessarily be better but I think it is.  If nothing else, it gives me peace of mind that the puffing is unobstructed which I didn't get with the little red one.

IP Logged
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #16 - 04/07/09 at 14:19:03

Thx Gentlemen, more great knowledge for us newer savage owners to absorb.

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
Wolf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 04/19/09 at 14:57:01

My lil breathercone is Red!  I'll add pics here but looks almost exactly like Gort's!  It now makes my K&N look a faded red...

I also left the rubber jacket on the "Magic sh!t box", zip tied to the bike frame underneath the seat.  Easy to get at and secure.

Wolf   Shocked

« Last Edit: 04/19/09 at 19:32:24 by Wolf »  
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 04/19/09 at 15:49:55

That's Magic sh!t box to you junior.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #19 - 04/19/09 at 17:36:52

verslagen1 wrote on 04/19/09 at 15:49:55:
That's Magic sh!t box to you junior.   Grin

Dang right!

IP Logged
Wolf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 04/20/09 at 06:30:13

I read in an earlier thread that someone used the muffler support to mount both the MSB and the "rectifier"(sp).  Any concerns with this location... wet, dirt, no issue....  It does take awhile to dissasemble to get at the airbox, but you gotta do it sometime...  Not bad if you have the Savage CD companion and a Clymers...  

Wolf  Smiley

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #21 - 04/20/09 at 07:08:27

The horizontal plate that is part of muffler support is always dirty on mine.  In my riding environment I wouldn't mount either of them there.  My rectifier is close to that area but it's mounted on the part of the rear fender that faces the stock battery box.  I've got a frame-mounted cover that protects the rectifier that is shaped to capture and direct fresh air up towards the intake.  

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #22 - 04/20/09 at 17:18:49

Wolf wrote on 04/20/09 at 06:30:13:
I read in an earlier thread that someone used the muffler support to mount both the MSB and the "rectifier"(sp).  Any concerns with this location... wet, dirt, no issue....  It does take awhile to dissasemble to get at the airbox, but you gotta do it sometime...  Not bad if you have the Savage CD companion and a Clymers...  

Wolf  Smiley

Well not to counteract anything that Jim has said but if you look at a lot of bikes the rectifier is right on the front of the bike. Either up by the headlight or right smack where the tire dumps garbage right on it. Putting some dielectric grease between the connections will keep them clean and working great. Although somewhere safe is not a bad idea.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #23 - 04/21/09 at 04:40:43

SA, you are correct.  I have seen it in several different locations on bikes that exposes it to the elements.  Good call on that one.

What is everyone's opinion on the need to mount the rectifier flush against metal (to enhance heat dissipation capability) vs. mounting the rectifier to plastic, adding rubber under/behind it to prevent vibration noise or some other way that inhibits direct heat transfer to a metal support?

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #24 - 04/21/09 at 15:08:22

I'm going to have to ride my bike around and see how hot it actually gets. I think that just the fact that it isn't under the seat (on my bike anyhow) it gives it a TON more air exposure. So possibly needing to not be mounted right to metal. I don't see how it would hurt to have airflow 360*. Plus with anything heat sink wise I've messed with at work on machines had heat sink compound which really helps in getting the heat away because it is making a solid contact.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #25 - 04/21/09 at 15:52:20

"rectifier"(sp)."

We always called it rectumfrier in shop class.  
I know, Iknow, how juvenile! Go ahead, say it, you know you wanna!  Cheesy

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #26 - 04/21/09 at 16:46:17

Rogue_Cheddar wrote on 04/21/09 at 15:52:20:
"rectifier"(sp)."

We always called it rectumfrier in shop class.  
I know, Iknow, how juvenile! Go ahead, say it, you know you wanna!  Cheesy

I guess that's why it's under the seat... waiting for you... to scoot back just a little more.  Buhaha... Bwuhaha.   Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 05:23:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Air box removal question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.