Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
rust in fuel tank fix? (Read 135 times)
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

rust in fuel tank fix?
04/04/09 at 14:31:57

So I have removed the gas tank as part of the transformation my bike is under right now.  When I tried to drain it no fuel flowed in on, res or pri positions!  I removed the tank and drained the gas through the cap hole on top.  When I removed the petcock it was jammed up at the bottom with rust particles (uh oh).  I used a flashlight to look inside the tank and there is some surface rust on the sides and bottom of the tank!  My question is how do I go about fixing it?  Anyone come across this problem and found a permanent solution to it?  TIA

-side note, bike is coming along great! carb rejet is done [52.5 pilot jet, 152.5 main jet and 2 washers on the needle from Lancer's kit], K&N style filter is on, seat is modded ala DiamondJim, drilled sportster muff is on and new rear fender/brakelight, side lic. plate mount/handlebars and mini apes are ordered!!  Will have pics when everything is done Wink

-Matt

IP Logged
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Re: rust in fuel tank fix?
Reply #1 - 04/04/09 at 15:12:28

You can get a kit at NAPA or other auto parts stores. I have never done it but basically there is a chemical cleaner. A piece of chain helps to clean as you rotate your tank around. Then you rinse and dry. Top it off with a coating to seal and protect. The kit's not much. Just a good day (or weekend) project.

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #2 - 04/04/09 at 15:44:39

Kreem is a brand and also is KBS. Both can be had for between 20-40 bucks. The 3 part kit is probably the best way to go. I'm getting something here pretty soon because I have a brand new tank and will have to seal it.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/04/09 at 15:46:44

I've restored a number of cars and cycles with internally rusted gas tanks, and I've always used the products sold by Bill Hirsch Auto.

http://www.hirschauto.com/

He has been around for many years and is a trusted name in the automobile restoration business.  I've never had any problems or failures with his gas tank rust removing and sealing products.

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #4 - 04/06/09 at 03:53:26

I have both kreemed and only cleaned a number of tanks over the years.  I would NOT kreem it unless it has pin hole leaks or really bad rust.  For surfuce rust get a rust remover from a car restoration place like www.Eastwoodco.com  or you can make up your own....  and do a cleaning.  The key is to get it neutralized and covered right way so it doesn't flash rust again.  One piece of advise I was given when working on a tank you don't plan to paint, apply a very heavy coat of turtle wax.  The cleaners a usually acid based so you want to keep it off the paint (and eyes, skin, etc)

good luck

WWW   IP Logged
Big Nix

Screw dieing of
natural causes.

Atlanta, GA
Reply #5 - 04/06/09 at 14:14:28

You know again i come from the farm and kind of an old school quick thing is just get some diesal fuel and swish it around and let it dry out.  Did this with a 56' plymouth (my first car I dug out of some guys barn after it sat for 20 years) and it worked great.  Just thought I'd throw that out there as a quick fix.

Courage is being scared, but still sadeling up and riding out.
Big Nix   IP Logged
Louisiana_Geezer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Baton Rouge, LA
Reply #6 - 04/12/09 at 17:17:23

Savage_Amusement wrote on 04/04/09 at 15:44:39:
Kreem is a brand and also is KBS. Both can be had for between 20-40 bucks. The 3 part kit is probably the best way to go. I'm getting something here pretty soon because I have a brand new tank and will have to seal it.

Is the popular opinion to have a brand new tank sealed before a new bike is put on the road?

IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 04/12/09 at 17:31:01

I ended up going with the Bill Hirsch gas tank fix.  I got it in the mail at the end of last week and it looks like it should work nicely.  It's a 3 part process- clean, etch and coat.  Hopefully it'll work since my tank is in good shape with a small amount of internal rust that plugged up my stock petcock.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 04/12/09 at 17:37:18

I can line with POR15 for anyone that needs it. $75 - done many and put many pics up on gstwin. If someone is a serious perfectionist (and I am so I do mine this way ... I'll put in a vent hose fitting in the top part in front of the speedometer  and that way your tank will never vacuum lock either. An added 10 bucks for that and I rate that as 100% worth it.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 16:24:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › rust in fuel tank fix?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.