Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Opinions please (Read 313 times)
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Opinions please
04/04/09 at 12:03:55

I just tore into the savage to investigate my now rich running condition after paying a local mechanic to do my spacer mod and you'll never guess what I find..... the darn white spacer is still in there.  Of course 3 of the 4 little washers from Lancers kit are missing?????  The 152.5 main did get installed I see. The K&N cone filter is cracked and my plug is black. Looks like it has never been changed up till now. I just replaced it with an NGK Iridium, sure the beast will like that!
So if the spacer was replaced with the washers would my bike be running a little better?? It does look dirty so I plan to blast it with some carb cleaner.

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Opinions please
Reply #1 - 04/04/09 at 14:13:55

The spacer is not super common so a mechanic might not know to adjust it.   Also,  if they had the slide apart,  it is real easy to mess up the order the parts go together.  If the spacer is on the wrong side, the bike would run very rich.

T MacK
"been there .... done that....."

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #2 - 04/04/09 at 16:26:16

Well I'm pretty sure I explained things well enough and why didn't the other #4 washers get returned with the remaining jets?? Guess I'll know the facts when I go in and ask for my washers on Monday!

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #3 - 04/04/09 at 16:35:55

Know I think my jet needle spring is missing too!

Could I have missed it in the carb?

If I need to replace it what am I looking for?

« Last Edit: 04/04/09 at 17:55:30 by NewThumperGuy »  

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #4 - 04/04/09 at 18:18:36

If you need to replace it, look for one of those dremel tool magnet/spring refresher kits.  Seems the spring is about that size and tension.

IP Logged
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #5 - 04/04/09 at 18:20:42

Thx Jim

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 04/04/09 at 19:25:51

NewThumperGuy wrote on 04/04/09 at 16:35:55:
Know I think my jet needle spring is missing too!

Could I have missed it in the carb?

If I need to replace it what am I looking for?

Hmmm  ... can you see me scratching my head from there....

No spring..... the spring holds the needle up and away from the hole that is the jet.  No spring and the needle drops down into the hole.  Not so sure the bike would run without it.  Maybe it's still in the slide.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #7 - 04/05/09 at 05:56:39

T Mack, I was wondering that myself. I remembered the mention in the thread to be carefull not to loose that spring so I was sure to be gentle and carefull when disassembling. I did not see it come out but I did not notice if it was still in the slide or not either! I will have to look closer Monday morn before confronting the mechanic who did the work originally. I really hope it's in there still!
I dont think the mechanic got to far with the pilot jet either, after inspecting it looked as though he may have had a hard time removing it cause I can see the signs of where the screw driver was slipping!

I should have listened to all of you guys from the beginning and just jumped in there myself with the assisstance of the forums  Embarrassed
But I'm glad the mechanic got to deal with the hassles of loosening all the bolts and screws  Grin

Thanks again T Mack

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #8 - 04/05/09 at 06:06:21

If you pull the slide out, you can hold the needle and gently move it in and out.  You'll be able to feel if has a spring in it or not.

IP Logged
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #9 - 04/05/09 at 14:10:43

Jim, I have the needle right out and everything out on the bench. When I pulled it out I never noticed any spring??

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #10 - 04/05/09 at 17:57:47

So you don't have this spring on the needle?

IP Logged
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #11 - 04/06/09 at 03:50:17

Just got into work and confirmed it, no spring anywhere. I'm positive it was never there when I disassembled!!!??? And it was running before I jumped into the work too?? Just not the greatest.

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #12 - 04/06/09 at 05:07:41

Print the pic with the spring on the needle, grab the needle and head to a hardware store.  Find a spring for it that looks like the one in the pic.  You'll likely need to trim the length.  I don't think the Lowes near me carries any springs like that.  They do sell larger individual springs, mostly for pulling, not compression.  Lowes does sell a spring pack that's got about 20 different springs in it but I'm not sure if it includes one that will work for the needle.  Seems like it was about $8 for the pack.  There is a Marvin's near me that does sell a good variety of individual springs and likely has one.  Don't know about Ace or the other chain stores.  Like I wrote earlier, I think the springs in the dremel tool magnet/spring replacement kit will work.  Those kits are maybe $7 whereas an individual spring at Marvins will cost maybe 40 cents.  

IP Logged
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #13 - 04/06/09 at 05:26:46

Printing the picture and taking it in to the mechanic, I have the carb construction pic from the thread too. He doesn't think there is supposed to be a spring there and is questioning how it would work by allowing the needle to "float" too much??

I will update shortly!!

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #14 - 04/06/09 at 05:29:34

I would go to the dealer and get the right spring,the length and tension has to be right or it want work right.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:25:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Opinions please

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.