Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Type of Inline Fuel filter and Petcock needed (Read 281 times)
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Type of Inline Fuel filter and Petcock needed
04/04/09 at 06:13:36

I've decided to jump in and get my hands dirty this weekend and get started on some tweaking of the ride. I'm leaving shortly to pick up some supplies and I'm wondering if there is a certain type of fuel filter that recommended? I'm also wondering if I should change the Petcock while I'm at it? Where can I find the items here in Ont. Canada?

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Type of Inline Fuel filter and Petcock needed
Reply #1 - 04/04/09 at 07:12:13

Just about any filter will do.  Ones that are for lawnmowers or anything w/o a fuel pump preferred.  And have a clear body.

I found one at Autozone, but it has a white body.  I liked it cause the bottom tap has a 90° turn in it.

WWW   IP Logged
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #2 - 04/04/09 at 09:38:04

Thx

Found a clear one at Princess Auto for a buck something.

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Reply #3 - 04/05/09 at 02:29:47

I bought a generic inline filter at the dealer. Of course they just knew it was a filter. Must be for a fuel injected bike. The fuel flow thru it is SLOW!! I can hit reserve at 70 and the bike will be down to 50 before enough gas gets through to start running again. On my commute, if I think I am close I switch to reserve before I hit the freeway. Don't need to get run over. Next time I am in a store with lawn mower filters I am switching out. Remember that gravity is your fuel pump and when you hit reserve there's not much pressure from fuel weight.

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #4 - 04/05/09 at 05:43:41

Grandpa thanks for your 2 cents much appreciated.

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #5 - 04/05/09 at 06:03:18

I have thought about getting an inline fuel filter. I've picked up some of those lawn mower ones at least 3-4 times, walked around the store with it while shopping for other stuff, then left without it.  My concern is that it won't pass enough gas through and will have a loose fit in the fuel line.  

The two with red arrows are usually the ones I find any place I go.  Will these have sufficient flow?  Is nipple/fuel line inside diameter an issue with the ones with red arrows?  

IP Logged
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Reply #6 - 04/05/09 at 19:50:28

I believe the fuel line is 3/16ths inside diameter. I have seen the part number somewhere for the recommended auto filter to use. It looks like the middle filter on the left side of your picture. I want to say the part # is PF699. Fits 70-80 era imports.

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 04/05/09 at 20:14:42

The fuel line is right around 5/16"
I'd go for the middle to top row.
There're several with the 2 sizes on the nipples, you want the bigger ones  Shocked of course.  Just trim off the small ends.
I've one that looks like the one to the right of your left most arrow, only bigger.

WWW   IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #8 - 04/06/09 at 03:20:39

I got a Fram fliter for a car from wal-mart.  It looks like the wnd form right on the middle row.  It took a little wiggle to get the fliter and hose in right and without a kink.  I have had no trouble with fuel flow switching to reserve.

The petcock is from a yamaha raptor maybe 04 or something like that.  There are a couple of threads with more detail on that, but it was an easy swap.  I seem to remember someone changed tanks and used something else.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #9 - 04/06/09 at 06:55:00

04 660 raptor petcock priced at $40 Cdn new from the local yamaha dealer, probably find cheaper one else where.

The filter I got from Princess Auto parts looks similar to the clear one with the red arrow pointing to it. Hope it does allow for sufficient fuel flow!!

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
SavageDanny

I ate what?

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #10 - 04/06/09 at 07:20:10

My filter looks like the one on the top row on the right. Seems to have plenty of flow.

My stock petcock has been converted to operate as on/off/reserve. I thought I saw somewhere that the Raptor petcock clears the frame better. Is this true? If it is, I just might have to get me one.

Flat Black 88

WWW SavageDanny   IP Logged
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #11 - 04/06/09 at 09:44:32

Thats why I'm investigating the raptor cause of the clearance. That was an interesting few minutes wrestling my tank off for the first time.  Shocked

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
SavageDanny

I ate what?

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #12 - 04/06/09 at 09:54:10

Going to have to put that on my wish list then. I did have the technique for getting the tank on and off down. However the last time I wrestled with it I got so angry I let loose a series of profanity that drove my wife to locking me in the garage until I promised to calm down. Don't really want to do a repeat of that event.

Is there any modification needed for the swap or is it fairly direct?

Flat Black 88

WWW SavageDanny   IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #13 - 04/06/09 at 15:00:05

NewThumperGuy wrote on 04/06/09 at 09:44:32:
That was an interesting few minutes wrestling my tank off for the first time.  Shocked

Aw..that's half the fun! (Other half is getting it back on...)  It's all in the technique.  Do it a few hundred times and it's no problem.  Wink

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 04/06/09 at 15:42:39

Here is what I did:

1. Did the petcock conversion as described in the tech section.
2. Added an inline fuel shut off valve ( I leave the Savage petcock on.)
3. Added an inline automotive filter that I bought at AutoZone ( I don't remember what the inlet/outlet size was but you need only measure  the dia. of the output of the Savage petcock to determine that)
4. Used fuel injection hose because for a few pennies more, you get a much stronger hose.  There is no pressure in the Savage gravity feed, but the F.I. hose is much tougher and may give you an edge if you drop the bike.

This conversion may require more room that the stock seat allows. You'd have to measure.  It wasn't a problem for me since I converted to a full springer Harley Police seat.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 06:26:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Type of Inline Fuel filter and Petcock needed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.