Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Type of Inline Fuel filter and Petcock needed (Read 281 times)
marine5317
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lecanto,FL
Re: Type of Inline Fuel filter and Petcock needed
Reply #15 - 04/06/09 at 18:34:09

I got this one at a cycle shop. It is clear with a bronze filter inside It has a 90% on thr bottom and I used -
1/4 ID fuel hose. Has been on over 1,000 miles and works fine.
Around $5.00
                                                                          Ride Safe
                                                                           Marine 5317

« Last Edit: 04/07/09 at 10:52:19 by marine5317 »  
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 04/06/09 at 22:13:50

SavageDanny wrote on 04/06/09 at 09:54:10:
Going to have to put that on my wish list then. I did have the technique for getting the tank on and off down. However the last time I wrestled with it I got so angry I let loose a series of profanity that drove my wife to locking me in the garage until I promised to calm down. Don't really want to do a repeat of that event.

Is there any modification needed for the swap or is it fairly direct?

I think that was a benefit that would lasted till about midnight... every nite   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #17 - 04/07/09 at 13:09:33

Arthur wrote on 04/06/09 at 15:42:39:
Here is what I did:

2. Added an inline fuel shut off valve ( I leave the Savage petcock on.)

Gort, I was wondering why you added a fuel valve instead of using the one on the petcock?

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 04/07/09 at 13:40:34

I converted the Savage petcock according to the instructions in the tech section, so as to eliminate the vacuum feature.  While the vacuum design causes the fuel to shut off if the engine stops, the diaphragm will crack with age and use, and shut the engine down when you are riding. When you disassemble the Savage petcock, you will see that it has an O ring which will wear and fail with age and use, as well. Also, the innards are not that sturdy. So, I decided to leave the petcock turned on and instead install a much heavier duty ballcock shut off valve.  I don't want to get halfway across the US or into Canada only to have some component failure and then hope that I can get the part somewhere, if at all.

IP Logged
Seth C.

Tucson, AZ
Reply #19 - 04/07/09 at 13:46:21

If installing the raptor petcock, what is the best way to seal the vacuum on the carb?

2001 Suzuki Savage LS650
WWW   IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 04/07/09 at 13:55:09

Many will use the rubber vacuum caps you can buy at the auto parts stores.  I don't like them because I've had them dry out, crack and leak with age.  Instead, I shortened the Savage vacuum line and  screwed a tight fitting machine screw into the end of the vacuum line.  I first coated the threads with a very thin coat of Permatex Copper gasket sealant, but only on the upper half of the screw, and under the screw head.  Then I let it set 24hrs. before starting the engine.

IP Logged
Seth C.

Tucson, AZ
Reply #21 - 04/07/09 at 14:02:08

Arthur wrote on 04/07/09 at 13:55:09:
Many will use the rubber vacuum caps you can buy at the auto parts stores.  I don't like them because I've had them dry out, crack and leak with age.  Instead, I shortened the Savage vacuum line and  screwed a tight fitting machine screw into the end of the vacuum line.  I first coated the threads with a very thin coat of Permatex Copper gasket sealant, but only on the upper half of the screw, and under the screw head.  Then I let it set 24hrs. before starting the engine.

Nice!

2001 Suzuki Savage LS650
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:32:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Type of Inline Fuel filter and Petcock needed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.