Send Topic Print
STUPID WIND! (Read 197 times)
cowspotter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ashburn, VA
STUPID WIND!
04/03/09 at 16:52:30

So I came home today after our crazy day of weather (heavy rain and wind) and the bike is fine. Park my car, go inside and leave the cover on as I usually do when I'm not riding it for a while. A few hours later I randomly look out the window and thumper is layed over on it side!

It was leaned over on the stand against the wind, so I'm guessing the cover caught the air and it blew away from the stand. I'm pretty fortunate as far as damage. I have a cracked end cap on my throttle grip and a broken rear right turn signal. Not sure what I'm gonna do about the cap. I saw bikebandit sells them for $4. Sound good?

The turn signal I'm probably just going to buy a pair of aftermarket since OEM appears to be a ripoff.

I have taken the cover off, ran the bike for 5-10 minutes (all seems well), and turned the bike around so the bike is leaned in the direction of the wind. Hopefully this will prevent it from being knocked over again. Is there anything else I should check out on the bike mechanically? I smelled the oil and didn't smell any gas. No gas leaked out of the tank while it was leaned over.

IP Logged
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
Re: STUPID WIND!
Reply #1 - 04/03/09 at 18:20:21

Hey Cow, my project bike was also dumped and one of my rear sigs were damaged. want the other one? message me if ya do. ill look for the end caps from the 96. im sure i have them....

sorry to hear about your bike but im glad you weren't on it when it tipped!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 04/03/09 at 18:21:11

sorry to hear about your troubles with the wind.
wind tends to do that with covered bikes.
If you must cover it in the wind, I'd take it off the handlebars and tie it tightly to the bike.  but with the wind whipping the cover about, it will wear the paint.
And I'd find a place that you could rest the handlebars on a fence or wall.

WWW   IP Logged
cowspotter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ashburn, VA
Reply #3 - 04/03/09 at 18:24:59

Well the cover is off for the rest of the night. I'd rather wake up to a wet bike than a damaged bike. I don't really have anywhere that i could put it to protect it from the wind and not piss off my homeowners association. At least the house I'm buying has a garage so I don't have to worry about this anymore.

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #4 - 04/03/09 at 18:44:47

Check the post out I wrote in February about my bike being blown over, you're not alone: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1234598175/9#9.

I took out full comprehensive insurance because it was only $15.00 a year more than liability. Took me a while to remember that I was covered for an event like this, so I figure what they hey, I'll file a claim. A Geico adjuster came and looked at the bike. A little over a week later I received a check for the damages, with stealership labor and parts estimates. This is one time I was happy that they charge $85.00 per hour for labor Smiley.

FSO
  IP Logged
cowspotter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ashburn, VA
Reply #5 - 04/03/09 at 18:51:24

Good to know I'm not alone. Looks like I made out better than you did joe. No paint damage and the brake lever looked ok to me. I'll check it out again tomorrow just to be sure. I do have comprehensive insurance but its not worth it for this. As long as its just an end cap and a turn signal, not worth calling in the man.

Eddie is hooking me up with a replacement turn signal and end cap from his parts bike. Thumper will ride again soon enough.

IP Logged
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
Reply #6 - 04/03/09 at 19:18:30

Ride on my brutha!!!!

IP Logged
savagedml

Paid Alliance
Membership (07/09)

Portsmouth, VA
Reply #7 - 04/03/09 at 19:35:58

Hey Cow: I live in Portsmouth, and the wind has howled here all afternoon and evening. Sorry about the tip-over, but it'll take a whole lot more than that kill that bike. A few character marks is what makes it yours. Best wishes from Hampton Roads.

Now, uh, photojoe, I'll be sending a revised bill for that AMA mag with the Savage article. I did it to cheer you up, but apparently my slightly used mag was nothing compared to what the GEICO gecko did for you.  Wink

Paid Alliance Membership (07/09)
"Let's roll!"
WWW funluvncareertech   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 04/03/09 at 21:11:46

I hear some covers are vented, to avoid such unhappy moments.
Could you park on the leeward side of the house when the direction of the wind is known?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
KWKaletta

The Savage Cycle

Zanesville, IN
Reply #9 - 04/04/09 at 01:06:48

Wow I lucked out I picked up this 6 x 12 enclosed trailer guess where I park my savage.

Impossible - A word for the doing of which has not yet been learned.
  IP Logged
cowspotter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ashburn, VA
Reply #10 - 04/04/09 at 05:45:34

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/03/09 at 21:11:46:
I hear some covers are vented, to avoid such unhappy moments.
Could you park on the leeward side of the house when the direction of the wind is known?

This cover is vented at the top, but its only one spot (this is the dowco guardian cover btw). Just not enough to let out all the air when it really gets blowing. I'm in a townhouse so i only have the front or the back and both were in the path of the wind last night. The bike did ok the rest of the night, no more damage so I think its current spot is good.

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #11 - 04/04/09 at 06:45:42

savagedml wrote on 04/03/09 at 19:35:58:
Hey Cow: I live in Portsmouth, and the wind has howled here all afternoon and evening. Sorry about the tip-over, but it'll take a whole lot more than that kill that bike. A few character marks is what makes it yours. Best wishes from Hampton Roads.

Now, uh, photojoe, I'll be sending a revised bill for that AMA mag with the Savage article. I did it to cheer you up, but apparently my slightly used mag was nothing compared to what the GEICO gecko did for you.  Wink

Wasn't that big of a check but i did have a few $$$ left over after buying used parts and doing the work myself. Bought a nice new Nelson Rigg cover also.

Regarding the AMA mag with the Savage story and member bikes pix, I did promise to pass it on to another Forum member with the understanding that they will do the same after they're done with it. So, it's up for grabs. Any forum member in the Continental USA who wants to read it, send me a PM. First PM wins the prize.

FSO
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 04/04/09 at 07:55:08

Not just TRying to be silly, but, they tie airplanes Down. If you drove a couple of spikes in at an angle, or got a couple of those screw in doggie tie downs you could tie the handlebars down & then toss the cover on, when the weather is gonna be wild.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #13 - 04/04/09 at 08:00:50

We've been having 40 mile an hour winds for the past 24 hours here. I'm confident that the bike is fine the way it's tied down now. It's also inches away from the rear bumper of my Audi and the front of Shar's Mini. The tie down thing is a good idea though. Could use the hooks under the Audi and Mini for that one.

FSO
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:24:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › STUPID WIND!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.