Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Carb - stuck jet - gas leaking out (Read 160 times)
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Carb - stuck jet - gas leaking out
04/01/09 at 00:59:13

After leaving my bike standing for a few days, when I tried to start it it ran for about 20 seconds, then spluttered and died. There was fuel flowing from the breather hoses (?) on the carb. Searching through old posts here I reckon I have a jet stuck in the carb (which I had cleaned by a local friendly bike workshop about 3 weeks ago)

I have found a few posts (not on here) which describe a method of inserting the nozzle of a bottle of carb cleaner into the drain hole on the bottom and squirting fluid up to release the jet. Thoughts?

Assuming I have to strip the carb to get to the pesky jet, am I right in thinking I should remove the float bowl, rather than removing parts from the top down? It looks that way in the Clymers..

I've tried tapping the carb and draining the bowl a few times. Does anyone else have any ideas of things to try before I start removing the carb to do the full cleanup?

« Last Edit: 04/01/09 at 02:44:45 by PhilM »  
  IP Logged
dr1445

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Carb - stuck jet - gas leaking out
Reply #1 - 04/01/09 at 03:47:19

at the least you will need to drop the float bowel to clean things out and add an inline fuel filter to prevent future events. if you installed allen heads on the float bowel you can do this on the bike, not sure with the oem phillips heads.
to do a proper job, pull the carb replace the phillips heads with allen heads and do the needle spacer mod, if you have not already done this. you also might want to check for gas in your engine oil. does the oil smell of gas, is the oil level overfilled.

IP Logged
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Reply #2 - 04/01/09 at 08:51:01

Thanks dr1445. I wish I'd installed an inline filter a few weeks ago. At least I got the guy who cleaned the carb last time to swap the bolts for allen heads so I should be able to get it apart now.

Oh well, here we go again. Seat, tank, covers, battery & box, carb etc etc This time I'll try and do the job properly! And I get to poke around (gently!) inside the carb  Smiley

IP Logged
dr1445

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/01/09 at 10:21:54

make sure you have a look at the spacer mod threads. i think you will be happy with the improvement. that way you can get a return from your time investment. also, have you removed the plug for the idle adjust jet? you need to do that to, if it is not already done.

IP Logged
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Reply #4 - 04/01/09 at 11:08:17

The reason I've held back on doing any mods that require carb adjustment is that my bike runs really sweet, has no backfires and has good power throughout the range. The only problems I have had have been caused by crap in the gas, which hopefully the inline filter will fix.

I'm kinda scared I'll introduce new problems if I do the spacer mod. Maybe this time, as its the first time I've gone inside the carb, I'll just get the jet freed up and give it all a clean and add the inline filter.

I am hoping to put a new muffler on later this year (screamin eagle) so maybe I should wait and do all the carb mods then?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 04/01/09 at 11:14:40

if it runs great then don't fix it

WWW   IP Logged
dr1445

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/01/09 at 12:10:01

what v1 said. just drop the float bowel with the carb still on the bike. you can do that without taking out the battery box since you had the allen head screws installed.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #7 - 04/01/09 at 13:30:10

PhilM wrote on 04/01/09 at 00:59:13:
... I have found a few posts (not on here) which describe a method of inserting the nozzle of a bottle of carb cleaner into the drain hole on the bottom and squirting fluid up to release the jet. Thoughts?...

I'd recommend pulling the carb to clean it.  That carb cleaner will eat rubber, plastic and paint.  I'd hate for you to some freaky way get pressured overspray up thru the main jet and onto the slide, diaphram, white plastic spacer or run into the inside of the the intake tube.  Or it could drip down onto stuff.  If you do it with the carb on the bike, after you spray it be sure to close the drain, prime the float bowl and start her up.  Don't let those carb cleaner fumes sit in there overnight.  Might not be good for your diaphram.  

IP Logged
dr1445

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/01/09 at 14:55:47

more than likely your problem is particulates or sediment that can be cleaned up with a product like wd-40. i am not sure the product is available in the uk, but tests show no effect to exposure for paint, and both man made and natural rubbers. if you have a gummy situation than a more aggressive carb cleaner would be required. in any event you need to drop the float bowl, so you can have a look before digging deeper into the carb and decide for yourself.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #9 - 04/01/09 at 15:41:45

pretty easy to pull the bowl, and float to eyeball the cut off -has a little rubber tip that gets a wear ring and prevent a good seal or just a junk in there - yes on the inline filter if junk is getting past the in tank screen , the float also needs to swing free on the pin  

so I take it gas stopped over flowing after the engine died?

IP Logged
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Reply #10 - 04/02/09 at 00:45:33

Reelthing wrote on 04/01/09 at 15:41:45:
so I take it gas stopped over flowing after the engine died?

Yes a few seconds later the flow stopped.

I've now started pulling parts off to get to the carb. Will get some time this weekend to open it up.

Thanks once again to everybody for their help.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:19:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb - stuck jet - gas leaking out

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.