Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New spin on the exhaust thumb screw idea (Read 244 times)
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
New spin on the exhaust thumb screw idea
03/31/09 at 19:43:26

This is a prototype for a remotely adjustable exhaust plate baffle thingy.  

I put this one together just to see how well it would work.  It is surprisingly sturdy and rotates smooth with just the right amount of resistance.  The idea is to add one of these to my drag pipe possibly in the area just before the frame's exhaust mounting bracket.  I could run open pipe when desired or close it when I don't want full open pipe via a simple cable push or pull.  I've always wanted one of these on my motorcycle exhaust but never tried making one. I'm sure somebody somewhere makes and sells these but I've never seen one for sale.  The lever would be where the cable for remote adjustment would be connected.  

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: New spin on the exhaust thumb screw idea
Reply #1 - 03/31/09 at 20:16:57

My recollection is that there we called "snuff-or-not" when we had them for the Honda CL250/305's many years ago. They were no adjustable on the fly, but had stops for cross or with the flow. Seems like one of the major manufactures of exhausts is making and electrical switching version now.  Just do it. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #2 - 03/31/09 at 21:00:57

Yeah, I saw the site with the HD add.  Those seem cool but I bet very pricey.

I figure one of these choke cables will work fine:

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #3 - 04/01/09 at 05:59:04

I put the prototype one in about 2" in front of the mounting bracket.  I like it.  Open, the pipe has got the deep sound of a long, open pipe.  Closed, it takes the volume down a good bit but also changes the pitch some to where it's got a little bit of a cool raspy edge to it.  I imagine that's from the exhaust being squeezed around the washer.  I've got to go to work but I'll try to work on it some more tonight.  I'll post a youtube sound clip soon.  I've got to go hunt down a choke cable and fab a mounting bracket.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #4 - 04/01/09 at 10:48:00

Went and picked up an auto choke conversion kit for $12.  They also had just the cable for $7.  But the kit has all kinds of brackets and mounts for the cable.  Sweet!

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #5 - 04/01/09 at 21:43:31

Done with the exhaust pipe mount. I'll put the pipe on tomorrow.  I'm not sure where I'll put the knob yet.  

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #6 - 04/01/09 at 22:34:14

Just be sure to post the how-toos of your experiments in the tech/ref section once you have completed your testing.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #7 - 04/01/09 at 23:22:08

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 04/01/09 at 22:34:14:
Just be sure to post the how-toos of your experiments in the tech/ref section once you have completed your testing.

Okay.  Cool.

IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #8 - 04/02/09 at 14:45:27

Dang Jim, slow down on all the cool mods!!  I can't keep up with ya!

I was going to do the same to my Honda Shadow 1100 pipes.  I added some packing to the (virtually useless) baffles that came with the V&H straight shots, but it came loose on one of the pipes.  Going to try your "M50 fiberslass rebaffle" you posted on another site.  I'll be adding the adjustable lollipop to the pipes, but I'm thinking of putting them at the end of the pipe after all.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #9 - 04/02/09 at 14:55:42

Cool.  For the fibrosleeves I used the metal screen that is used for supporting mortar for faux rock/brick.  It usually comes with a layer of tar paper glued to one side.  As for the lollipop, I put my washer on a long piece of threaded rod and slid it into the pipe in various places while the bike was idling and revving some.  Deeper usually sounds better but the end of the pipeis much, much easier to do.

IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #10 - 04/02/09 at 20:14:33

What about a lollipop with a bigger hole in the middle?  That's a pretty big washer you have on that one.  More "straight through" flow for higher revs?

Also, what did you find different between the sound between the middle of the pipe verses the back of pipe.  You said it sounded better.  In what way?

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #11 - 04/02/09 at 20:33:25

Gary, I was shooting for an outside the washer path but I might try it with the larger hole.  

For the pipe, imagine making a sound through these three items:  toilet paper tube, paper towel tube (like Bounty) and a Christmas gift wrapping paper tube.  All of us have put each of these up to our mouths and made stupid sounds that made the kids laugh!  The toilet paper tube will sound much like your own voice but a little more dull.  The paper towel tube will add a little bass to your voice and the sound will resonate in the tube, making it sound deeper and richer.  The gift wrap tube does the same but a whole lot better.  

The longer the pipe AFTER the washer the deeper, richer the sound will be.  

IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #12 - 04/02/09 at 21:03:45

If I were you, I would try hooking that to the throttle cable. Through every gear you would have the advantages of tighter pipe at lower RPM and open pipe at high rpms.  No fidgeting as you ride.

This seems like something that should be measured and calibrated with a dyno.  

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #13 - 04/02/09 at 21:44:55

Bobbert wrote on 04/02/09 at 21:03:45:
If I were you, I would try hooking that to the throttle cable. Through every gear you would have the advantages of tighter pipe at lower RPM and open pipe at high rpms.  No fidgeting as you ride.

This seems like something that should be measured and calibrated with a dyno.  

Ha ha, I had the same thought when I was working on it earlier.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 04/02/09 at 21:46:37

Had a bit of a giggle today.
Riding down the superslab like normal in the HOV lane.  And like normal I hit traffic 2/3's the way home.  Pass a motorcop pulling in, pass a cage cop in the HOV, pass a HD bagger movin' over.  I pat my head as I pass'em cause he looked like he was going to and did cross over the solid double yellow and white HOV line.  He looked like trouble so I let him pass more cause I knew what was behind and would catch up sooner or later, so I was taken it easier than normal.  Turned out he had loud as hell pipes.  100' back and he easily made my easy goin' high idlin' savage supertrapp sound like mouse farts.  And he let one rip every time someone didn't take notice that king loud @ss was comin'.  And he would... "wave" at those that took especially long to move over.  I just grinned, thinkin' I could've squeezed thru there no problem.  Well, finally after the motorcop and the cage cop finished waving to each other, up comes the motorcop.  KLA was busy waving and communicating to notice me flashin' his @ss.  So on comes my blinker and I move over to let motorcop on thru.  He didn't look pleased cause he flashed KLA too.  And pulled up next to him and they were "waving" and communicating much more politely then KLA was before.  The m/cop was pointing at his pipes and at him then his pipes again.  Enjoyed the show, but I had to pull onto the line cause if I hadn't the truck behind me would've ran over my mouse fartin' @ss.  I shoulda put it neutral and grabbed hold we were goin' so slow.  Ol' KLA and m/cop had a good long chat at a crawl.  Finally the m/cop looked like he had enough communicatin' and rolled on.  Ol' KLA waved much more politely now and was less insistent upon the road being clear.  If fact, he urged me by.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 10:15:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New spin on the exhaust thumb screw idea

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.