Send Topic Print
a few newbi questions (Read 366 times)
bell9440
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

a few newbi questions
03/31/09 at 06:18:26

I just bought a 97 savage ls650  yestarday the old owner told me to check out this web site.I am glad he didI have been reading about the mods you can do and have a short list (so far lol).heres the list.
Ape hangers
Forward controls
Sportster seat
carb spacer?
so this brings me to my questions.1 how big of bar can I put on it without changing the cables?I was hoping for about 12". 2 does anyone have the measurements or drawings for 5" forward controls and can I go that far without interfering with the front tire?3what year seat will fit on a 97?4what size jets does a 97 come with?can I just swap the spacer for a #4 washer and adjust the idle without changing the jets?would just like to smooth out the mid range and get rid of the backfiring.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: a few newbi questions
Reply #1 - 03/31/09 at 07:50:16

I don't know about 12"s, maybe 10"s.
on the sportster seat look at the pics in the tech section and get one like those.  I think the year was prior to '04.
'97 should of come w/ a 145
yes, you can.

WWW   IP Logged
bluesavage218
Alliance Member

Chicks dig it.

Jackson, TN
Reply #2 - 03/31/09 at 09:35:07

12'' bars will require new cables. 10'' bars won't, but you will probably have to push the bars forward some to make it work with the stock cables. I actually just bought a set of 10'' bars, I'm going to try those out for a while that way I don't have to buy cables and if I don't like them I can always go bigger.

IP Logged
bluesavage218
Alliance Member

Chicks dig it.

Jackson, TN
Reply #3 - 03/31/09 at 09:38:39

There is enough room for 5'' forward controls. I have a set of Ed L's 4'' forward controls, but I think he makes 5'' as well.

IP Logged
bell9440
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/31/09 at 15:28:25

bluesavage218 let me know how the 10"s work out for you.

IP Logged
dr1445

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/01/09 at 04:09:42

i think you will find the #4 washer od to big to drop in the pocket for the needle. if i recall you need a 3mm washer or washers.

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #6 - 04/01/09 at 04:43:17

#4 washers are "officially" the right size.  However many of us have found the outside diameter was too large, like dr said.  I used #4 nylon washers, but the best bet is to take the spacer with you and get something that matches both ID and OD.  I know that is a pain, I bought #4 metal washers and then had to got back to town to buy the nylon ones, taking the spacer with me.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #7 - 04/01/09 at 05:06:29

Order Lancer's jetset.  It'll come with the washers and jets that you'll need.

IP Logged
bell9440
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/01/09 at 07:38:12

what all is involved in changing the jets?when I take the top off the carb to take out the spacer do I need another gasket?

IP Logged
dr1445

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 04/01/09 at 10:35:00

that will be the diaphragm between the carb and body. be very carefull with that sucker, it is expensive. make sure to return it to its original position when putting it back together. some folks have had trouble getting the screw out that keeps the needle in place. make sure you use a proper fitting driver for that screw.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 04/01/09 at 11:48:02

You should be able to reuse your gaskets.

WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 04/03/09 at 00:15:54

considering the PO informed you about this site it's very likely any necessary carb work has been done already. Having just finished rejetting Id advise you that if you're new to riding/motorcycles in general Id read this site until your eyes bleed before you go about changing jets. Its a PITA doing it the right way. Doing it the wrong way...ugh...I cant even imagine. If you do decide to mess around with jetting Id go ahead and order Lancers set from the site. Its $22 and some change. You seemed focused on the spacer mod in particular. The 4 washers that come with Lancers kit together are slightly thinner than the stock spacer. Id start with all four. Ride it for a while with a new plug. Asses how it feels as you're riding and check your plug after...50 miles riding it that way. Then remove one washer at a time checking a new plug each time. Or if you find it runs better with the spacer, put the spacer back in. As to the forward controls, Ed L makes up to 6" forwards. 4" is the generally accepted standard here. The 4" made a huge difference but i couldve easily gone with 6" controls. Im 6'2" with a 32-34 inseam depending on the brand of pants. I cant speak to the seat or handlebars.

IP Logged
bell9440
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 04/03/09 at 17:13:50

I'm not new to bikes just new to the savage.I have worked on carbs before just not this one.I just want to know what I;m getting in to before I do it.the guy I got it from told me he cleaned the carb,but didn't change anything.the bike runs rough at mid range and back fire ever time you turn it off.(really annoying)

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 04/03/09 at 18:14:24

bell9440 wrote on 04/03/09 at 17:13:50:
I'm not new to bikes just new to the savage.I have worked on carbs before just not this one.I just want to know what I;m getting in to before I do it.the guy I got it from told me he cleaned the carb,but didn't change anything.the bike runs rough at mid range and back fire ever time you turn it off.(really annoying)

pretty simple then, clean out all the jets and ports, make sure the rubber is still good, replace anything worn/torn.  That should fix the mid-range.  A 1/8 to a 1/4 turn on the pilot jet should fix the backfire.  if not, check for air leaks in the exhaust and intake.  check how many turns out the pilot jet is, if more than 3 turns, there's a chance it may back out on the road.

WWW   IP Logged
craigq
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, ON
Reply #14 - 04/04/09 at 05:43:51

bell9440 wrote on 04/03/09 at 17:13:50:
I'm not new to bikes just new to the savage.I have worked on carbs before just not this one.

Here are some excellent pictures by SavageWahine of the carb on our bikes. Warning: It's very picture intensive, I hope you're not on dial-up.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1191899985

2009 WR250R/X
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:29:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › a few newbi questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.