Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Have to kick the bike into neutral to start? (Read 261 times)
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Have to kick the bike into neutral to start?
Reply #15 - 03/31/09 at 10:44:20

What year bike???    

In the early model years, there were some minor changes in the interlock circuits.

To give advice on where to look , we're going to need that.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Mortation

Reply #16 - 03/31/09 at 11:05:53

Charon wrote on 03/31/09 at 09:30:33:
Mortation wrote on 03/31/09 at 06:59:40:
Try adjusting your clutch cable too.  kickstand up, clutch in, hit start.  I personally always start my bike in Neutral.  Don't know why.  Habit I guess.  There are to many safety features for starting any bike made towards the mid to late 80s and on.  I usually disable them.  Seriously if someone doesnt know how to start a bike and remember to put the kickstand up before taking off they probably shouldn't be riding Tongue

I wonder what your legal liability might be, should someone (say, a mechanic) get hurt because you had disabled a safety system?

Being that I am my own mechanic I am not much worried about it.  Plus there is no law requiring these safety features or preventing them from being disabled.  And "Professional" mechanics have safety procedures so bad things don't happen to them which are far better/smarter than relying on those on a bike Smiley

1988 LS650 - Candy Apple Red w/ Ghost Flames, Harley muffler, S40 seat, white spacer Mod, #55 pilot, #155 main.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #17 - 04/01/09 at 10:24:41

Most of us are human. That means we sometimes make mistakes. If you are starting and operating the bike correctly, you should never even notice the safeties. If the safeties annoy you, chances are they have caught you erring. You are presumably an adult and capable of making your own decisions, but I think people who disable safeties are at best foolhardy.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 11:22:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Have to kick the bike into neutral to start?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.