Jets i mikuni vm 36 (Read 147 times)
Bruno666
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Jets i mikuni vm 36
03/30/09 at 02:05:41

Hi
Is anyone here running a mikuni vm 36 roundslide ? I am along with an exhaust from a Harley nighttrain (I use the one without cat), that I have modified a bit for better sound and flow  Wink I also run a homemade foam filter i the org. airbox, but without the "door", it is not too restrictive  Smiley
I would like to know if anyone else use somthing like it and what jets and needle position you use.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Jets i mikuni vm 36
Reply #1 - 03/30/09 at 04:41:52

Assuming the carb is in good working order, try a #20 pilot jet and a #190 main jet, with the needle clip on the 2nd groove from the top......as a starting point.  This should get you in the neighborhood and you can tune from there to the needs of your engine.  Choice of exhaust will make a significant difference in the main jet.

IP Logged
Bruno666
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/09/09 at 14:04:34

Hi.
That is quite far from what I am running now  Shocked
I got it as a kit from savage performance and there was 3 main jets with 300, 310 and 320...... Then I had a lazer jama deeptone exhaust on it I used 300 main and needle in 3. groove and it ran quite good. But then I changed the exhaust it died at 75-100 % throttle so I put in a 280 min jet and needle in 2. groove from the top. It runs a little smother at low rpm but still will not run at full thottle. Too much backpreasure....???? or should I just lean it out a bit.... 260 main or 190 ????  Undecided

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 04/09/09 at 19:33:13

Dude, I am not familiar with the exhaust you mentioned  so cannot say about the backpressure but with those symptoms and that size main jet you are way on the rich side.
Seave the needle clip on the #2 groove from the top.  
This is the same carb I use in the Performance Carb Kits so I know where you need to start.  Change the pilot and main jets as suggested and work from there.

IP Logged
Bruno666
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/09/09 at 23:07:39

Thanks Lancer
I will try that  Smiley

IP Logged
Justinmkantor

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Monterey, CA
Reply #5 - 04/09/09 at 23:29:18

I got an 1987 that I got from Lancer and I run a lot smaller jets than him. I run a 17.5 and a 180 with the needle clip in the 2nd position. Dyna exhaust. It took a lot of trial and error but runs preety good now. I liove at sea level with 40-90 F temps and low humidity. Not bad riding weather

IP Logged
Bruno666
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/10/09 at 00:02:17

Hi
My Savage is an ī86 but that should not change anything as far as I know. What about backfire then you use so small jets ? and engine temperature...
I have had several two-strokes some years ago, so because of thats I always like to start off with I am sure not are to small  Wink I know you canīt compare 2 and 4 stroke but still... Grin

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 04/10/09 at 04:42:24

Bruno666 wrote on 04/10/09 at 00:02:17:
Hi
My Savage is an ī86 but that should not change anything as far as I know. What about backfire then you use so small jets ? and engine temperature...
I have had several two-strokes some years ago, so because of thats I always like to start off with I am sure not are to small  Wink I know you canīt compare 2 and 4 stroke but still... Grin

Yea, 2-strokes require much larger jets  & needle/needle jets than 4-strokes.

The numbers assigned to jets for the VM roundslide carbs and the numbers for the jets for the stock CV carb are totally different, so do not even bother comparing them with each other....apples and oranges.

IP Logged
Bruno666
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/17/09 at 05:42:20

Think I got it just about right now. 17,5 pilot jet, 180 main jet and the needle in the 2. from the top  Smiley

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 04/17/09 at 14:10:10

It's all about listening to the engine; whatever baby wants baby gets and that makes it purr.   Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 00:50:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Jets i mikuni vm 36

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.