Send Topic Print
Handlebars (Read 254 times)
Pater
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Handlebars
03/29/09 at 10:07:34

Iwould like to swap the drag bars on my 2005 S40 for Buckhorns and could i use the ones from a 2004 savage or replacing the risers give me a better seating position

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Handlebars
Reply #1 - 03/29/09 at 14:00:18

swapping drags for buckhorns may leave you short on the cables.

Better seating position?  Are you reaching too far forward?

Although the stock bars are weighted to reduce vibrations, many bars will do a nice job.

WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #2 - 03/29/09 at 14:15:07

Something like these might work great for you.  
http://www.debrix.com/items/item.aspx?itemid=141502

These are for HD and have the dimples/drilled for cables.  You can find some without dimples/holes and likely not have to mess with changing cables.  They look cool on a LS650 too!

IP Logged
Pater
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/30/09 at 07:08:07

Yes i am reaching to far forward am planning to get the bike back on the road this weekend have heard that trying to remove the grips can be a problem

IP Logged
Big Nix

Screw dieing of
natural causes.

Atlanta, GA
Reply #4 - 03/30/09 at 07:25:12

Pater wrote on 03/30/09 at 07:08:07:
Yes i am reaching to far forward am planning to get the bike back on the road this weekend have heard that trying to remove the grips can be a problem

No they're actually really easy to get off... I just used my pocket Knife and they came right off  Wink  And I've got a set of stock buckhorns and stock risers if you are interested pm me.  We'll see what we can work out.

Courage is being scared, but still sadeling up and riding out.
Big Nix   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #5 - 03/30/09 at 07:26:46

Pater wrote on 03/30/09 at 07:08:07:

Just the left grip.  What worked easy for me was taking off the left end cap, got a can of WD-40 with the little red straw and squirted some WD-40 up under the end of the grip.  I gave it a minute to soak in and used a loose hackswaw blade to slide between the grip and bar and worked it around a little.  Rotated the grip a little and it came right off.  I ran a paper towel through the inside of the grip to clean out the oil residue.  I've done this like 4 times resuing my stock grips.  Each time I put it on a new bar or when putting a previously used bar back on, I've never had to glue the left grip on.  Worked it on an left it.  Each time I removed it again I had to do the WD-40 and blade trick.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 03/30/09 at 07:41:00

I've removed several and never had a problem.  Get 3 phillips screwdrivers, stick them inbetween the grip and bar equally spaced.  The 1st one, go once around the bar to break the glue bond.  With all 3 in, twist until the grip twists off.

WWW   IP Logged
Mortation

Reply #7 - 03/30/09 at 08:10:05

If you don't work something out with Big Nix let me know.  I have some stock buckhorns/risers/cables I may be willing to trade for the drag bars (if they are stock).

1988 LS650 - Candy Apple Red w/ Ghost Flames, Harley muffler, S40 seat, white spacer Mod, #55 pilot, #155 main.
  IP Logged
go_canez
YaBB Newbies

Raleighwood, NC
Reply #8 - 03/30/09 at 18:41:22

I might be interested in trading the stock drag bars too..I just purchased my 09 and really don't like having to lean way forward to control the bike.  I didn't see anyone mention it, does the wiring all have to change when moving from the drag bars to the buck horns?

Thanks!
(S40/Savage Noob)

2009 S40, Factory Windshield, Saddlebags, and Engine Guard. Sportster Pipe w/ Stage 1 Jet
  IP Logged
Mortation

Reply #9 - 03/31/09 at 17:25:27

go_canez wrote on 03/30/09 at 18:41:22:
I might be interested in trading the stock drag bars too..I just purchased my 09 and really don't like having to lean way forward to control the bike.  I didn't see anyone mention it, does the wiring all have to change when moving from the drag bars to the buck horns?

Thanks!
(S40/Savage Noob)

From what I know the wiring no but the clutch and brake cables yes.

1988 LS650 - Candy Apple Red w/ Ghost Flames, Harley muffler, S40 seat, white spacer Mod, #55 pilot, #155 main.
  IP Logged
Pater
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 04/01/09 at 06:36:57

What is ment by dimples?

IP Logged
go_canez
YaBB Newbies

Raleighwood, NC
Reply #11 - 04/01/09 at 15:07:55

Mortation wrote on 03/31/09 at 17:25:27:
From what I know the wiring no but the clutch and brake cables yes.

Thanks, good to know.  So if I change out I need to look for clutch and brake cables from where the s40/savage had buckhorns as an option.

2009 S40, Factory Windshield, Saddlebags, and Engine Guard. Sportster Pipe w/ Stage 1 Jet
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 04/02/09 at 09:01:48

Pater wrote on 04/01/09 at 06:36:57:
What is ment by dimples?

Dimples are indentations in the bars for harley type controls.
Harley doesn't make opennings in the controls for the wiring so that if you want a clean look, you can run the wiring thru the bars.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 02:29:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Handlebars

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.