Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
HID Headlight conversion (Read 361 times)
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
HID Headlight conversion
03/29/09 at 09:49:03

Has any one installed these yet? im sure they will work fine (according to stuff i read) the wire directly into your existing headlight wiring. they say they draw about 3-5 amps and i was worried about the life of my battery over the riding season and wanted some shared experiences....

(quoted from bikeworld)
"A ballast is needed to start the HID light burning, because the light units typically need 30 amps or so at startup, which would overwhelm a motorcycle's electrical system if the lamp was started without a ballast.  The ballast provides the increased electrical current at startup without higher amperage.  This means that in most cases, the HID light and ballast system can work with the bike's existing fuse and wiring.  HID lights take only 5 amps or so after the initial burn."

the lights i have chose are 5000k oem white and should annoy the crap out of anyone in my path, or at least catch their attention.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: HID Headlight conversion
Reply #1 - 03/29/09 at 10:26:12

even tho the ls has a headlight cut out for start up i think one would want another switch to insure bike is running before power goes to the ballast..depending on ballast start up current...
may be a non issue with a big crank...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
Reply #2 - 03/29/09 at 10:34:30

i did think about that, maybe wire them into the high beam instead....

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 03/29/09 at 11:10:09

They're issues, one, they're not dot approved.  
If fact most state not for street use.
To be dot approved, it has to be a factory install.
The only factory the installs HID lights is harley I think.

Your idea to wire it in to the Hi-light switch - cool - I like that, you don't need Hi with those lights anyway.

WWW   IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #4 - 03/29/09 at 11:13:43

Does anyone know the rated output of the alternator?  If it is less than the mentioned 5 amps (plus the other lights and ignition), forget about it.  It isn't really a battery issue unless the alternator puts out less than all the lights & ignition together use and the battery is drawn down every ride and a charger connected every time the motorcycle is parked.

I agree with the idea of a switch or relay to switch the headlight off when the starter is cranking.

The higher the color temperature (cooler looking light into blue and violet) the more scatter you'll get from haze, wet road mist, etc.  Also, the higher the color temperature the more the oncoming driver's eye pupils contract and the less they'll see anything else besides your headlight.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 03/29/09 at 11:19:05

Stock lights are 55/60 watts.
Some use 100/90 watts.
HID lights are 35 watts.
The ballast reduces the inrush current to something sustainable.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
Reply #6 - 03/29/09 at 15:35:10

well i found one article on the alternator/rectifier:

"the savage alternator is three phase, output 210 watt at 5000rpm, standard charge output equals 14-15 volt dc at 5000rpm"

still cant find info on how many amps the bike requires for the stock setup and if theres any extra. guess ill have to install them and throw a Amps probe on there.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 03/29/09 at 16:33:06

verslagen1 wrote on 03/29/09 at 11:10:09:
They're issues, one, they're not dot approved.  
If fact most state not for street use.
To be dot approved, it has to be a factory install.
The only factory the installs HID lights is harley I think.

Your idea to wire it in to the Hi-light switch - cool - I like that, you don't need Hi with those lights anyway.

VFR's and a couple other Jap bikes maybe the Vstrom's FJR's etc have HID for the last few years.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #8 - 03/29/09 at 17:07:56

srinath wrote on 03/29/09 at 16:33:06:

VFR's and a couple other Jap bikes maybe the Vstrom's FJR's etc have HID for the last few years.
Cool.
Srinath.

Could've been usual H1 and H7 bulbs. I've never heard of a jap bike with factory HIDs but according to BMW website the world's first and only manufacturer to do so, BMW Motorrad now offers ex works the optional dipped xenon headlight designed specifically for motorcycles.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #9 - 03/29/09 at 21:20:27

Savage Eddie wrote on 03/29/09 at 15:35:10:

"the savage alternator is three phase, output 210 watt at 5000rpm, standard charge output equals 14-15 volt dc at 5000rpm"

still cant find info on how many amps the bike requires for the stock setup and if theres any extra. guess ill have to install them and throw a Amps probe on there.

P=IxE       210 watts/12 volts = 17.5 amps
the ls has 2ea. 20 amp circuits one for the starting safety ckt
one for the lights and horn
might want to run seperate fused circuit from the battery and thru a relay that the hi beam  wire controlls i did this for my running lights so they go off when hi beam is on

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 03/30/09 at 03:03:22

I installed these on my car. Rating is 35Watt, and when you turn lights on on idle, the engine sound does not change. With OEM 55Watt bulbs, it would change a bit. It kinda tells me that they put less load on the alternator than stock H bulbs. Hope that info helps. Keep looking if it still worries you, there's 21Watt "motorcycle use" HiD kits available.
Mine are 5000K, although with this mind I would go for 4300K next time. 5K is pure white, 4300 is closer color to regular incandescent bulbs. Light power and quality is amazing, not sure how drivers/riders coming from opposite direction feel Wink That's why these kits are technically illegal in most countries.

One more thing: what do you mean to wire them to Hi beam switch?? Whatever that meant, note that it takes about 2 seconds for Xenons to get from cold start to 100% output, and then another 5-10 seconds to get the specified light color.

IP Logged
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
Reply #11 - 03/30/09 at 05:07:04

bright switch theory:

When i start my bike with the low beams on the HID lights wont fire until i switch on the brights. this will direct all the power to starting the bike.

also the beam on the HID lights wont be pointed straight out, ill most likely have them pointed about 20-30 feet out to reduce the blinding of the oncoming traffic.

IP Logged
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
Reply #12 - 03/30/09 at 05:10:28

thumperclone wrote on 03/29/09 at 21:20:27:
Savage Eddie wrote on 03/29/09 at 15:35:10:

P=IxE       210 watts/12 volts = 17.5 amps
the ls has 2ea. 20 amp circuits one for the starting safety ckt
one for the lights and horn
might want to run seperate fused circuit from the battery and thru a relay that the hi beam  wire controlls i did this for my running lights so they go off when hi beam is on

Thanks Thumper! its seems that thats more than enough to run these lights. if successful ill have the other half of this kit to dump off in the marketplace and the "How i did it" posted in the tech section

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 03/30/09 at 06:20:28

Savage Eddie wrote on 03/30/09 at 05:07:04:
bright switch theory:

When i start my bike with the low beams on the HID lights wont fire until i switch on the brights. this will direct all the power to starting the bike.

also the beam on the HID lights wont be pointed straight out, ill most likely have them pointed about 20-30 feet out to reduce the blinding of the oncoming traffic.

I see. But how will you turn the real Hi beam on then? I assume you bought the H4 kit, with little solenoid in the bulb?
Y' know what, you could also try to rig the whole thing temporarely to the bike and see how it works in existing setup. As I said, I don't think HID draws any more than stock. I think less, actually.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #14 - 03/30/09 at 08:31:21

dasch wrote on 03/30/09 at 06:20:28:
Savage Eddie wrote on 03/30/09 at 05:07:04:
bright switch theory:

I see. But how will you turn the real Hi beam on then? I assume you bought the H4 kit, with little solenoid in the bulb?
Y' know what, you could also try to rig the whole thing temporarely to the bike and see how it works in existing setup. As I said, I don't think HID draws any more than stock. I think less, actually.

in rush(start up ) current is unknown, have read can be up to 25x run current for a few miliseconds...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:28:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › HID Headlight conversion

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.