Send Topic Print
FUEL ADDITIVE (Read 97 times)
alcoa

never let the
bastards wear you
down

FUEL ADDITIVE
03/27/09 at 13:16:24

I know it will not hurt my bike, but would anything good come from using them. Say 3-4 ozs. per tank.

most problems are caused by the loose nut that conects the handelbars to the seat
  IP Logged
sakara
2005 No Login

Thumpalicious

Lockport, NY
Re: FUEL ADDITIVE
Reply #1 - 03/27/09 at 13:36:08

I use a capful or two of Chevron techron every month or two. It keeps everything running smooth and clean for me on my bikes.

Alliance Member

'86 Thumper bobber rat project.
sakara   IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/27/09 at 15:20:52

I use Chevron premium only in my bike, and it has the Techron in it.

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #3 - 03/27/09 at 17:13:25

There are two goals of any fuel additive--

--Keep everything it touches near-new clean
--Provide better combustion of the fuel

Top Tier gasoline probably is the best available.  There is no advantage with high octane gasoline in an engine designed for 87 octane like our Suzuki engines.  91 or 92 octane gasoline isn't better gasoline; it is more resistant to preignition and spark  knock (ping).  I don't think that is a problem in our engines.  In a post-1986 engine that does ping, the cause is either a computer gizmo that's kaput or carbon build up, and that needs to be fixed, not covered up with high price gasoline.

I do use a fuel additive, FP Plus that returns about three times its cost in fuel savings, especially with the lower cost gasoline I buy for the family fleet.  The EPA requires a certain level of detergents in any gasoline, but some refiners add more for competitive reasons.  

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/27/09 at 19:59:38

Many Savage owners use high octane gasoline because in instances of long idling, or in desert use, the engine runs too hot and will suffer from pre-ignition.  This issue was discussed at length in earlier threads.

Additives differ among gasoline companies.  Some years back Chevron patented an additive called F310, which was later re-named Techron.  Chevron claimed it lowered emissions so the State of California decided to lab test it, to see if the claims were valid.  If they were, Ca. was going to mandate its use in all state owned vehicles.

Two V8 engines, each with 100,000 miles, were taken from state service vehicles.  Each was bench tested for 20,000 miles, 1 using Chevron with Techron and the other with a competitor's gas.  The Techron engine showed only minor emission reductions as compared to the competitor's gas. However, when the lab dismantled the 2 engines to see what effect the fuels had on the internal parts, they found the Techron engine's valves, pistons, rings and combustion chambers to be nearly carbon and deposit free.  The other engine's parts were filthy with carbon and oil deposits.

Chevron claimed Techron would do this, and the State found out that it did. All of this was in a photo essay article in Road Test magazine, years ago.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 06:18:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › FUEL ADDITIVE

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.