Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
My Build Thread (Read 1086 times)
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Re: My Build Thread
Reply #30 - 05/01/09 at 07:59:54

Simon got it right.  I've got what is essentially a hard plastic case made up of individual sides assembled to make an internal box contoured to the slant shape of the inside of the bag.  I added a verticle piece that divides the bottom 2/3rd of the bag into a two compartments with the part for the battery being larger and to the rear.  I cut a piece of dense foam to sit in the battery compartment then cut out an area in the foam to slide the battery into.  It fits ncice and snug.  

As far as bag mounting, I moved the rectifier to the bottom front of the rear fender.  That left bolt holes on top of the rear fender where the rectifier normally goes.  I forget the size (6mm I think) but I know they use a 10mm wrench.  After moving the rectifier, I overlapped the bag yokes (straps) across the top of the rear fender and ran bolts through the yokes and into the threaded holes.  I've got custom made bag supports so I have room underneath the bag yokes and fender to run the hidden battery cables.  I'm pretty sure you could do this fine with the stock fender supports and OEM brackets but it might be a little tighter.

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 05/01/09 at 10:52:34

SimonTuffGuy wrote on 05/01/09 at 06:21:29:
The filter on the carb was the one that was being sold on the store here. I believe Lancer was the contact for them? I don't see them anymore, I believe they were trying to track down why the filters were tearing. No problems so far with mine, but I've probably put less than 100~ miles on the bike since mounting it.

The crank case filter was just a cheapy filter that I picked up at Advance Auto (and I'm sure Pep Boys, A&A, AutoZone) would have them too. It was in the ricer section (neon lights, tire flys, etc) and ran $10. I got the blue one because it matched the bike... But I've seen red and black ones too.

The box was a big PITA to remove... You'll have to pull the battery, remove the battery box. There are 3 total bolts holding the box in place and then you'll have to fanagle it out of the frame. I'm not sure how the CM carb mods change the carb itself... But, I removed my box with the carb still on the engine. If you remove the carb, it'd be a breeze to get out because you could twist it as you needed to pull out.

There was a thread about this a few weeks ago that documented where the 3rd (and hardest to reach) bolt is located. It's up under the belt guard. I did mine with a small ratchet and it came right off.

As for DJ's battery setup... I'll let him chime in too. But he's posted before that his right bag is essentially a hard bag, encased in a soft bag. He's got a thick piece of plastic against the back of the bag the holds the battery in place. The bag itself is zip tied to the bag supports that he used (which aren't Savage/S40 pieces). Maybe he can chime in again with one of his detailed drawings of how it looks.

It's the same setup that I am going to try running... I'm getting a set of Savage saddlebag supports, because they come back furhter and will give the bag more support and room to zip to on... Where the S40 brackets are all towards the front of the bag.

What is the diameter on the crank case filter? I dont want to buy the wrong filter. I can look up the diameter of the cone filter for the carb on the K&N website. Its outer diameter I believe I need. I might go with a foam Unifilter just for different looks.

As for Jims battery. I remember that thread now. Very ingenius idea.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #32 - 05/02/09 at 07:47:29

I first went with one of these:

The nipple fits loose inside the breather tube.  I had put some electrical tape around the nipple to build it up to fit snug into the tube.  The problem was that over time the little bit of oil that the air carries through the tube got to the tape and started loosening it up.  I inspected it one day and found that the oil was causing the adhesive in the tape to fail and the tape started to work loose inside. I saw that it could potentially work loose and possibly start to block the little hole.  I also got to thinking that that little hole itself my be too small and restrictive to allow for good flow.  

So I switched to one like Simon has only mine is chrome with white filter and made a chrome mount using an existing hole in the neck support for the mount bolt.  

My tube fits snug inside the filter mouth sleeve instead of the other way around so there's no obstruction.  I don't know how much of a difference it makes but it gives me peace of mind that the crankcase vent flow isn't impaired.  

IP Logged
tysonlguthrie
YaBB Newbies

Iowa
Reply #33 - 05/07/09 at 15:02:47

Is there a reason you have the baffle way up there by the bend?

2001: 55 pilot, 152.5 main, straight exhaust, Suzuki engine guard and headlight visor.
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #34 - 05/07/09 at 16:52:17

tysonlguthrie wrote on 05/07/09 at 15:02:47:
Is there a reason you have the baffle way up there by the bend?  

Yep.  It sounds much better.  The open pipe after the baffle allows the exhaust to develop a really nice deep sound.

IP Logged
Wolf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #35 - 05/07/09 at 17:54:36

DJ,

On the pulley cover (minus the belt guard) ...  you need to add washers to fill the space(s) created when you remove the belt guard?  I believe the upper bolt (of 3 bolts) is the culpret if I remember correctly.  I didn't and it will rub the pulley.   Also note the loose cables near the OPEN belt... these should be relocated or re-secured with zip ties.

I haven't updated the pulley cover yet as I am still in "tearing down engine '96 mode"  Shocked  

I am LEARNING (and buying MO tools and shop supplies) as I do his teardown before I attack my '99 engine (  eek  tomorrow )   Grin

Wolf  Cheesy

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #36 - 05/07/09 at 20:08:44

Are you asking me if you need to add a washer to the inside of the left shock lower mount bolt to take up the space where the upper belt guard had been mounted?  Yes.

Cables?  Yeah, I had already moved mine when I removed the bike guts.

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #37 - 08/13/09 at 18:40:38

Let's see... Changes since last post:

- Removed belt guard
- Removed rear pegs (need to take off peg mounts yet)
- Removed sissybar and rails

My fender arrived today... The seat I ordered it on back order. Not sure if I'm going to check another source or not...

Up next is to remove the stock fender and get the new fender mocked up.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:15:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My Build Thread

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.