Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
My Build Thread (Read 1086 times)
ineclipse

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: My Build Thread
Reply #15 - 04/07/09 at 16:26:06

wild air filter mod. what you got there?

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #16 - 04/07/09 at 20:53:58

The blue cone filter is his oil breather/crankcase filter.  The larger one is his intake air filter.

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #17 - 04/08/09 at 05:44:35

diamond jim got it... The blue filter is for the crank case vent that previously went into the airbox.

Got a ride out on Sunday. Got a chance to get it on the road to see how she rode. Overall, pretty good I think. I'll have to check the plug to see how it looks and to make sure that I'm not too rich or lean though. And I need to get the exhaust finished up so that there's no leak (I think that had a good bit to do with the ride). On decel, it wasn't backfiring or popping like it did before... But, there was something noticable going on.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #18 - 04/16/09 at 17:31:46

Well... I finally got the time to run the bike back out to the exhaust shop where they finished up my diamond jim muffler setup.

They ended up bending a whole new pipe for me with the bike there. Fits great. The shop welded a nut to the pipe and then mounted it to the stock hanger instead of using any sort of mount or steel tube (similar to diamond jim's way). The baffle is right after the bend. Again, the shop welded the nut inside the baffle and then threaded the bolt in to hold it all in place.

Next up is painting it and then the chrome heat shield. The sound is nice... It's a lot quieter with the baffle installed. I was expecting it to be much louder, but it's pretty tolerable, and at cruising speeds, seems very similar to the stock exhaust (not highway cruising speeds... but at 45-50).

The best part is that I'm pretty sure the carb setup I went with is pretty good. I'll have to pull the plug to double check, but it seems great. I was a little unsure on the way out to the shop... It stalled. I was thinking that the carb was flooding, but turns out that it just needed filled up. Not riding for a few months got me out of the reserve tank habit! :-P

Next on the list... Get the license plate mount on with the plate... Get wires run down to that and light it up (have a spare led lamp from my Jeep that I'm going to run)... Then wire up the led brake light and new rear turns and it'll be good to go for spring!

I'm excited. The weather is supposed to be nice tomorrow... So I'm planning to ride into work. Still need to tackle a few little projects, securing some wires and all, but it'll make it the 6 miles into work. Smiley

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #19 - 04/17/09 at 08:49:04

That looks sweet.  I like how they did the mount.  I painted mine with some gloss high heat black paint that I got from Lowes.  After painting, I noticed that the paint would get a little soft and a ltacky after the first 3-4 rides. During this curing process, if somthing gets on the pipe, like a piece of grass, don't wipe it off when the pipe is hot.  Wait for it to cool then it will either fall off or wipe off easily.Otherwise you might smudge the paint.  After a few heat ups and cools downs the paint will harden and all will be fine.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 04/17/09 at 09:55:30

The exhaust being out past the brake arm is nice. The Trapp puts soot all over mine, I guess Im a bit rich in some part of the RPM range.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #21 - 04/17/09 at 10:06:02

Thanks for the tip(s) diamon jim! I'm pretty happy with the end reults too. I think at some point I'll try my skill at doing some sort of slash cut on the end similar to yours... Just not sure how I want to do it yet.

I'm going to check for some high temp paint tonight. And see what I can do. It's supposed to be a beautiful day tomorrow, but I'm stuck moving computer equipment for work from the current building were in, to our new operations center.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #22 - 04/17/09 at 11:25:45

The taper does change the sound some.  I like it better.  The gurgle sound on decel is not so abrupt and rough but rather smoother and more refined.  

For painting tips, check this out:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1239992423/0

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #23 - 04/20/09 at 17:48:54

Thanks for that thread, that's good info. This weekend would've been perfect weather to paint, except that I was in the office for 16 hours moving servers to our new operations center.

diamon jim... Question for you. I've looked at your pictures, but I can't quite gather where mine is different. With my saddlebags, they sit right along where yours do... But with my sissybar rails and stuff, my stock turn signals still fit. I know you said that yours didn't. The top of the bags rubs a little bit when you go to open it, but the bags don't prohibit the signals from being there at all. Any reason yours didn't fit?

Also - the bags don't cover the rectifier at all. The straps go right behind it. The only thing I'm going to relocate it the wiring that runs into the fender. It seems like that is the only thing holding up the final install on my bags.

I've got to finish up the wire hiding on the bike, decide what I'm doing with my battery (and box), and get the magic sh!t box secured.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #24 - 04/30/09 at 18:01:47

Got the box mounted... My cables came in for the mini apes that I ordered.

I'm not really sure WHAT look I'm going for here... Haha!

I got my new license plate bracket. The one I got off EBay was too short and hit the belt guard. The guy that made them created me a custom one, about 2" longer to clear everything. It looks great, fits perfectly.

I'm thinking of removing the belt guard. Can someone tell me what's involved? Is it just pulling the nuts and taking it off? Or... do I need to add washers somewhere (I saw this in another thread)...

Pics of the new stuff soon. I'm ordering a set of Savage saddlebag brackets because they'll support my bags better than the S40 version. I want to mount the battery in there and all the support on the S40 bags are up front... The Savage will cover SOME of the rear portion of the bag. We'll see!

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #25 - 04/30/09 at 19:04:40

Yeah, you'll need a washer on the rear left shock lower mounting bolt to take up the space where the belt guard mounted there.  Otherwise it's simply remove bolts.  There's a separate upper and lower guard.  

I got tired of the look of the pulley cover without the guard and reshaped the cover.

Before the reshape (most of us know what it looks like):

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #26 - 05/01/09 at 04:26:05

Wow, that reshape makes it look really nice! I have to decide if I want to remove the guard or not... My girlfriend does ride with from time to time and I wouldn't want her to get caught up in the belt or anything.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 05/01/09 at 05:51:22

DJ, how is your battery now held up? TG, what is the specs on the filter  for your crankcase breather tube and the the cone filter. I may have to do the mod since my carb boot is not connecting to the airbox very well and am having ilde problems with my vm carb mods. I will check the clymer manual, but what is involved in removing the airbox?

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #28 - 05/01/09 at 06:21:29

The filter on the carb was the one that was being sold on the store here. I believe Lancer was the contact for them? I don't see them anymore, I believe they were trying to track down why the filters were tearing. No problems so far with mine, but I've probably put less than 100~ miles on the bike since mounting it.

The crank case filter was just a cheapy filter that I picked up at Advance Auto (and I'm sure Pep Boys, A&A, AutoZone) would have them too. It was in the ricer section (neon lights, tire flys, etc) and ran $10. I got the blue one because it matched the bike... But I've seen red and black ones too.

The box was a big PITA to remove... You'll have to pull the battery, remove the battery box. There are 3 total bolts holding the box in place and then you'll have to fanagle it out of the frame. I'm not sure how the CM carb mods change the carb itself... But, I removed my box with the carb still on the engine. If you remove the carb, it'd be a breeze to get out because you could twist it as you needed to pull out.

There was a thread about this a few weeks ago that documented where the 3rd (and hardest to reach) bolt is located. It's up under the belt guard. I did mine with a small ratchet and it came right off.

As for DJ's battery setup... I'll let him chime in too. But he's posted before that his right bag is essentially a hard bag, encased in a soft bag. He's got a thick piece of plastic against the back of the bag the holds the battery in place. The bag itself is zip tied to the bag supports that he used (which aren't Savage/S40 pieces). Maybe he can chime in again with one of his detailed drawings of how it looks.

It's the same setup that I am going to try running... I'm getting a set of Savage saddlebag supports, because they come back furhter and will give the bag more support and room to zip to on... Where the S40 brackets are all towards the front of the bag.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
sakara
2005 No Login

Thumpalicious

Lockport, NY
Reply #29 - 05/01/09 at 07:53:43

Looks slick, DJ.

Alliance Member

'86 Thumper bobber rat project.