SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
My Build Thread
03/27/09 at 10:08:52

I've seen a bunch of other members with a little build thread or a place they post pictures of their stuff... So, here's one for me!

The Savage takes on a whole new look with the tank removed. This is the first time I've had the bike more apart than removing the seat (or pulling the battery):

Current mods that I'm working on include:
-diamond jim exhaust
-carb rejet
-relocate turn signals and tail light to under the fender (I've got a spare fender for that - $10 off EBay with local pickup... Score!)
-side mount license plate of some sort
-new saddlebag install

More to come...

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Re: My Build Thread
Reply #1 - 03/27/09 at 13:10:27

Leave the tank off and use the hollow frame to hold gas.  It would be about the same volume!

Did you fab a longshot pipe mounting bracket yet?  I think each mod has at least one catch point that makes it difficult.  For the pipe it's the mounting bracket.

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #2 - 03/27/09 at 13:27:05

I didn't fabricate a mounting bracket yet for the pipe... I'm thinking of going with a small L bracket cut to size, or I'll end up using the 1" squre tubing like you did (that was the suggested method from the exhaust shop).

I want to get the carb tuned before I ride it anywhere (more than in the back parking lot).

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #3 - 03/27/09 at 14:31:01

Carb is off... Got the bowl dropped and switched to the 152.5 main jet. I'm going to leave the pilot jet alone for right now and I am going to do a 1/4 spacer on the needle jet. I busted 2 screw drivers in an attempt to get into the needle jet area... I put a little bit of PB blaster on them in attempt to break them free, but I'll have to find another good screwdriver before I attempt it!

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Texas-1-lunger

Iraq Vet

Reply #4 - 03/27/09 at 14:34:57

Where did you get the crash bars at they look wider than mine.

1st Cav 1st Team!
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #5 - 03/27/09 at 15:16:02

SimonTuffGuy wrote on 03/27/09 at 14:31:01:
Carb is off... Got the bowl dropped and switched to the 152.5 main jet. I'm going to leave the pilot jet alone for right now and I am going to do a 1/4 spacer on the needle jet. I busted 2 screw drivers in an attempt to get into the needle jet area... I put a little bit of PB blaster on them in attempt to break them free, but I'll have to find another good screwdriver before I attempt it!

Sounds like a good plan with the jets.  You already know about the allen heads for the carbs.  Get some M5 allen heads to replace the stock ones.  Search the forum for posted length and pitch.  I've done about 6 jet changes with the stock screws and removing the carb.  I recently did the allen heads.  Last jet change took maybe 4 minutes and no carb removal.  Sweet.  

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #6 - 03/27/09 at 17:19:34

Bars are Wingerline from Accessories International... Much nicer than stock bars!

DJ - that is the plan with my bolts too!

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/27/09 at 17:52:30

Try getting a nice little 7 inch heat shield for that awesome exhaust. I bought mine for 15$ at my local shop. Should be about the same at JC whitney. Dont forget that you also did the cone filter there. Why do I see two cone filters in your pick, and how is the carb and everything held up now?

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #8 - 03/27/09 at 18:24:35

odvelasc wrote on 03/27/09 at 17:52:30:
... and how is the carb and everything held up now?

A clamp holds mine on good.  See the post below. (Edit: trying to cosolidate and not to post so many pics).  

« Last Edit: 04/01/09 at 08:06:28 by diamond jim »  
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #9 - 04/01/09 at 07:20:32

I need to finish the exhaust before I worry about the headshield. Things have been crazy at home the past few days.

Personal News:
1. Closing on our house on Friday 4/3 @ 4:30 (YAY!)
2. Aden, our little 8 week old shetland sheepdog (sheltie) puppy came home on Saturday

With those things... Spare time for the bike has been minimal.

I got the top of the carb off yesterday... It was after stripping 2 of the top bolts (ugh!)... Replacements will be going in before it goes back up.

diamond - What is that in your picture and how does it hold the carb in place?

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #10 - 04/01/09 at 07:23:43

odv - the 2nd filter is for the crank case vent hose that went into the airbox before. That's not the final location, it was a temporary holding place while I moved the bike around.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #11 - 04/01/09 at 07:53:55

It's a piece of aluminum wrapped around like a cable clamp with the inside tabs angled to line up with the rear left diaphram cover allen head.  It's sturdy but more or less just stabilizes the carb since the carb/engine coupling does a great job holding the carb in place already.  The inside of the clamp is lined with electical tape.  Took a little playing around to get it shaped just right but it works like a dream.  I might paint it but for some stupid reason I like that little piece of shiny there!

IP Logged
sakara
2005 No Login

Thumpalicious

Lockport, NY
Reply #12 - 04/01/09 at 08:50:56

Nice idea; thanks for the tip

Alliance Member

'86 Thumper bobber rat project.
sakara   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #13 - 04/01/09 at 15:14:06

A diagram with measurements of those Wingerline bars would be appreciated ... would like to get a facsimile made up out of electrical conduit ... danke! Cool

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #14 - 04/01/09 at 18:10:13

I'll see what I can do. Got a bunch going on the next few days with closing on my house and moving. :-P

FWIW... Got the jets finished up this afternoon. I went without any spacer up top. Suggestions on this? Should I go back in and put in a spacer or two? I will say... It was a huge pain to be working there, but I got it.

Tossed everything back together and re-mounted the tank to try a test fire up. It started good, ran fine, etc... I didn't go out for a spin since I need to finish up a few other little things first. I might put it back together to try it tomorrow to see how it goes. I need to finish up the exhaust so it's ready for spring.

More to come later.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:20:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My Build Thread

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!