Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Yet Another Air Filter Question (Read 334 times)
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Yet Another Air Filter Question
03/27/09 at 05:07:48

I need some advice guys.
OK, so it's about time for a air filter change (past due actually). Anyway, after reading several posts on the subject, including Old Fellers post on a DIY air filter, and not wanting to go the pod route; I began casting about for ideas on what to do.
The local Suzi stealership quoted me $35 for a replacement filter. Ouch! I'm afraid I'm just too cheap for that. I considered Old Fellers idea, but I kept thinking there had to be a better (read "easier") way. So off to Wally World I went, with the old filter in hand. Scanning the air filter section in automotive, I came upon a Fram #CA7421. It's about the right size, just about twice as long and about 1cm wider. Got it home, trimmed off the excess rubber from the edges, cut it in half, and slid it carefully in the space formally occupied by my old filter. It's a tight squeeze. The paper pleats have to be coaxed past the snorkle. Once in place, I put the plastic cover back on, then the metal side cover over that. Viola, a whole $11.33 for two filters, and a total of about 10 minutes of my time (not counting the shopping time at Wal-Mart).
Now this is where you guys come in. I haven't fired it up yet, because I need to know if there is any reason this will not work? While I have vast experience at being cheap and lazy, I have vitually no experience with this type of substitution. The filter, as I stated, is a snug fit, being a little wider than the stock. I don't think any trash is going to get past it, at least not any up to what it is designed to stop. It is, after all, merely a pleated paper filter; but at under $6 a filter, I don't mind changing them out. I've searched the site, but can't find a post where anyone tried an automotive filter. Whaddaya think?

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
savagedml

Paid Alliance
Membership (07/09)

Portsmouth, VA
Re: Yet Another Air Filter Question
Reply #1 - 03/27/09 at 05:43:37

Jay. Thanks for the idea and FRAM stock number. Now here's where you come in. Yours is already installed, so fire it up and tell us how it works for you. I'm headed to Wally World right after I get your report.
 Smiley

Paid Alliance Membership (07/09)
"Let's roll!"
WWW funluvncareertech   IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #2 - 03/27/09 at 05:50:16

savagedml wrote on 03/27/09 at 05:43:37:
Jay. Thanks for the idea and FRAM stock number. Now here's where you come in. Yours is already installed, so fire it up and tell us how it works for you. I'm headed to Wally World right after I get your report.
 Smiley

Well.... While I appeciate the thanks, I'm kinda hoping for a wiegh in from someone with more experience in these matters than I. I don't need to foul a carb, or worse! Shocked

Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #3 - 03/27/09 at 06:16:35

Does the cut section of the filter fray any?  Take the other half that you've got, rub the cut area between your fingers for a bit to loosen the fibers then hit the edge with a hair dryer on high for a minute.  Observe for any fraying.  If it does, take the one out of your airbox, put a bead of silicone on the cut edge to seal it and let it dry.  

Also, while you've got the hair dryer out, put it up against the inflow side of the fram filter, turn it on and feel the amount of airlfow coming out the other side.  Do the same with the removed stock filter and compare.  Car engines develop more vacuum than the LS650 so they can handle more restrictive filter media.  If the hair dryer flow test demonstrates noticeably less airflow than the stock filter then you'll have problems in terms of rich mixture and decreased power at higher rpms.  If they seem to have the same airflow ability you should be good to go.  The other way to do it is to use a vacuum cleaner with the hose attachment.  Put some small, lightweight items on a table that a vacuum could pick up like pieces of paper, staples, etc.  Turn the vacuum on, place one of the filters on the front of the hose and see if it will pick up the items.  Listen to the change in the vacuum motor to see how much harder it is working.  Then do the same with the other filter and see if it picks up the items the same, better or worse as well as listening to the vacuum motor load changes.  Just make sure that when the fram is in the airbox that there is no spaces for unfiltered air to get past the filter and into the carb.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 03/27/09 at 06:20:01

Can air get around the filter element???

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/27/09 at 11:15:12

I agree with Diamond Jim.  Air filter elements are not all the same in their ability to let air through.  Also, here is a link to a well respected study on the 'net that showed comparisons between after market filters and factory units, using some very expensive equipment and whose conclusions are documented in great detail:

http://duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm

The factory units were always more restrictive, but always filtered better.  Units like K&N and all its clones including foam filters, DO NOT filter dirt as well as factory paper element units.  The conclusion to the article was that factory filters are the best compromise for engine longevity and engine breathing.  K&N and its clones & foam units breathe better, but at the expense of allowing more contaminants into your engine, which of course wears it out faster.  Also, paper air filters cannot be cleaned by brushing or air hoses, because they get clogged by the sticky petroleum contaminants that are found in exhaust fumes and industrial pollution.  The solvents needed to remove these from a paper element would destroy the element.

« Last Edit: 06/11/09 at 21:48:17 by Arthur »  
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/27/09 at 11:16:34

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 03/27/09 at 06:20:01:
Can air get around the filter element???  

This has been noticed by some Savage owners.  The seal between the element and air-box is not always good, and dirty air slips by.

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #7 - 03/27/09 at 20:39:41

Thanks for all the input guys. I haven't been able to fire it up yet (responsibility takes all the joy out of life); but I hope to take a ride tommorrow. I did the vacuum cleaner and blowdryer tests recommended by DJ. While not a true apples to apples comparrison (the OEM filter was dirty), if anything there was more air flow through the Fram filter. The edges don't fray after being cut. I rubbed the edge pretty good, looking for any lint  or fiber throw off. Couldn't get it to do it, even with very rough treatment.
TMack asked about air getting around the filter element. While anything is possible, I don't think this one is likely. I had to trim the rubber edge of the Fram filter in order to get it into the space. The filter is also about 1 to 1.5cm wider in the uprght position. It has to be coaxed into the slot, and eased around the snorkle. The compartment is pretty full. The only open space is the area immediately below the snorkle. The rest of the space is full of filter.
Well, I guess I'll go into the great unknown tommorrow. I hope it goes well. Thanks again for all the input. If anyone else has any ideas, please feel free to weigh in.
Jay

Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Wolf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/28/09 at 17:40:50

Hi Jay, like you, new, eager nad , I am spanding (mine has over 16000 '99 Ls 650), but they were hard-er miles...

The Raask dragpipe arrived yesterday, pick up today... Sweet!

I have on order the verslavy from Verslagen1 and (April - June before I get these mods),  I have the Jetset, cam chain and performance cam arriving from Lancer.  I wanted the performance carbset with all the bells and whistles.  That will have to wait a few months...

This is a cool bike for many reasons... hopped up engine and components...

Have you ordered the Clymers manual for your bike and the Picture CD offered by thid website?  Do get...

This forum has helped me out and now I am a tad bit more focused on when to make a change.  

Well, have fun!

Wolf Cool

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #9 - 03/28/09 at 22:24:36

Thanks Wolf. I did take it out for a 30 mile spin to work last night. Will be riding it home in the morning. Didn't notice any difference in performance. My plan is to take it back and forth to work for the next couple of days. That should put about 120 - 150 miles on it. Then I'm going to pull the filter and see how it looks; i also plan to inspect the filter compartment for any debris from the cut area of the filter. It would be sweet (read easy and cheap) if this works!

Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 03/29/09 at 07:16:51

Jay,  you mention the snorkle hitting the filter elements.  This sorta implies you have the snorkle still in place and you are still using the air door.

From past experience I might suggest pulling your snorkle up out of the air box from the seat side and removing it out of the way.  You can put it back if you want to, it is just a rubber piece held in place by simple friction.

Similar thoughts for the air door, take it off and store it and try running it that way as you can always put it back later if you choose to.

Using the air door forces all the air to come in through the snorkle opening which creates quite an air blast that quickly loads up a very small portion of your air filter to the point of blockage/failure.   Removing the air door lets air in gently from the side as well as through the snorkle opening and the larger inbound volume opening means air velocity is greatly reduced (less physical wear and tear on the filter element).

The snorkle was a factory sound damping item that also redirects the factory designed in place "concentrated air blast" to bounce it off the bottom of the air box, bust it into eddies and suck it through the filter.   This activity translates into "extra resistance" no matter how you say it.  

If you aren't using the air door you do not need the snorkle -- it is just in the way.

I found the best breathing for the bike was the least constricted breathing -- no air door, no snorkle.

I have not discovered a downside to not using snorkle or air door and it has been years & years since either was on my bike.   Because they are not there I had more physical room to increase my filter element to 2" thick and I got a lot better filtration and longer use life accordingly.

Try it, you may like it.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #11 - 03/29/09 at 08:03:47

Ditto on what Oldfeller said.  Check out Dan's good info on filters and airboxes on his site: http://www.dansmc.com/aircleaner.htm

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #12 - 03/29/09 at 08:05:31

When I had the stock filter I was getting more dirt past the filter than when I even went with the KnN stock replacement. As for my KnN cone filter I have thought about adding a piece of that other filter element that has been mentioned inside of it. Worth a shot I guess.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 03/29/09 at 09:17:59

Along the same vein,... I bought a K/N car filter from Wallyworld ($26.92) and cut it in half.... been running it for 2 1/2 years with no problem.  I just gutted the stock filter from the metal frame and glued this in with RTV.
Part no. 33-2819
Here's a pic of the box and the remaining half of the filter.

Here's the finished product... RTV's a little sloppy, but it's airtight.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #14 - 03/29/09 at 09:20:34

Great idea!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home