Send Topic Print
Bag Repair (help!) (Read 253 times)
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Bag Repair (help!)
03/27/09 at 01:32:44

Just got the Suzuki brand bags on the bike a couple months ago, and noticed the other day the straps are starting to crack where they go through the buckles.  Apparantly the fake leather doesn't like being used in cold weather, go figure! Roll Eyes  Does anyone know a way to at the very least keep them from getting worse?  Or should I use them til they self destruct and get something better? Undecided
Thanks! Cheesy

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Re: Bag Repair (help!)
Reply #1 - 03/27/09 at 02:46:40

I have a pair of the same bags and had the same problem. My solution was to just get a new set of bags (not suzuki bags). But I was thinking that maybe you could sew a new leather strap in place of the cracked fake leather ones. Doesn't seem like it would be too difficult.

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #2 - 03/27/09 at 02:50:29

ALfromN.H.  FSO wrote on 03/27/09 at 02:46:40:
I have a pair of the same bags and had the same problem. My solution was to just get a new set of bags (not suzuki bags). But I was thinking that maybe you could sew a new leather strap in place of the cracked fake leather ones. Doesn't seem like it would be too difficult.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking about doing.  Wish I hadn't thrown my old boots away! Angry  The uppers woulda worked great, after some dye or something to match the color.  Heck, the brown woulda probably looked good, if done right.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Reply #3 - 03/27/09 at 04:20:11

If you can get two strips of leather the size of the straps might glueing them to the underside of the original straps work? I'm sure the right glue would hold ok. A bit temporary but might save you some cutting/sewing.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 03/27/09 at 05:01:51

Should take them back to dealer and ask what the repair kit for them cost.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #5 - 03/27/09 at 05:20:07

PhilM: good idea, I've got some retired (tore up) jeans that would work good for that, with some craft glue or something to hold it together.

bill67: good idea also, as I was pretty happy with them until this happened.  I only got them in January (backordered since November), and they shouldn't have done this yet I don't think.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 03/27/09 at 06:48:55

Run to Wal-Mart, go to the kids section and find the Belt display.  

Should be some belts there to cut to length....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #7 - 03/27/09 at 06:50:52

Just about anything used for conditioning horse saddles work great. Get stuff that is either clear or black.  
http://www.ablackhorse.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=6405

Do some research on saddle maintenance.  You want to be careful about using some products and methods as they can clog the pores and actually hold more dirt.

A lot of black boot conditioners work great as well but saddle conditioners are my first choice.  People keep boots for a few years.  Saddles are often kept for decades.  

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #8 - 03/27/09 at 07:52:05

my 06 came with the oem bags one cracked at the flap fold..
took them back to the dealer got a credit a with a lil xtra $ got a set of river road slants love em!!
they arnt real leather but have held up for 3 winters so far...winter is over right??

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #9 - 03/27/09 at 08:02:27

thumperclone wrote on 03/27/09 at 07:52:05:
took them back to the dealer got a credit a with a lil xtra $ got a set of river road slants love em!!
they arnt real leather but have held up for 3 winters so far...winter is over right??

Ditto on the River Road bags.

« Last Edit: 03/28/09 at 13:06:22 by diamond jim »  
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #10 - 03/27/09 at 16:20:28

thumperclone wrote on 03/27/09 at 07:52:05:

Winter's kinda hit and miss around here, not that I'm complaining!  I've been able to ride at least a handfull of times every month so far this winter, if you don't mind the chance of getting wet. Tongue
Trying to get credit out of them sounds promising, I've been eyeballing a tach that was mentioned on another thread, and they carry it, about the same price.  Then go down to CycleGear for another set of bags, they're cheaper than the stealership (isn't everyone?).  Was just down there yesterday, and they have the usual RiverRoad (like the hidden quick release feature on the straps!), plus a slick set of nylon ones with reflective stuff built in.  Decisions, decisions  Undecided, you all are overloading my poor noggin with so many good ideas! Cheesy  Looks to be rainy for a while, so a good time to yank em off and do SOMETHING with em.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #11 - 03/28/09 at 12:26:42

I need to yank my bags off and do some repair where the stitching is coming loose as well. Just haven't gotten the gumption to actually do it yet.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #12 - 04/14/09 at 01:58:14

Well, finally got 'em taken care of; remains to be seen how long my repair will last.  Unfortunately, no store credit or anything of the like, which is why I don't buy most things at the stealership, don't much care to keep the customer happy.

Anyway, here was my solution: take some light and medium weight leather scraps, and cut to approx. the same width and length as the straps.  Glue them down to hold them still, thin on the back, medium on the front.  Stitch the buggers down with my handy $4.95 Harbor Freight Speedy Stitcher Awl, and trim to fit, and repunch the holes.  The color doesn't look that bad I don't think.  But then I'm more worried about function than form anyway.  Here's some pics! Cheesy

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 04/14/09 at 12:07:42

I have one of those "speedy stitcher awls" from Harbor Freight, too. Mine seems to be a bit defective. It doesnt make that nice of a straight line & the spacing isnt so nice. Thats a good looking Fixxitt you did.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #14 - 04/14/09 at 12:54:50

Here's a easy way to stitch leather, get a regular fork, sharpen the tines and pound the fork through the leather. It gives great holes all ready spaced to stitch up the leather with. Just don't use the wife's good silverware or do the hammering on the kitchen table. For some reason the old ball an chain gets real upset if you do.  Wink Cheesy Grin

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 13:43:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bag Repair (help!)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.