Send Topic Print
More carb BS (Read 314 times)
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

More carb BS
03/26/09 at 02:59:00

Tuning for a screaming eagle. We'll deal first with the pilot jet. The 55 was too rich. It idled like crap at start up, i couldn't use the choke at all or it would die, and the stink of unburnt fuel was nauseating. So back to the 52.5. Heres the thing so far as this goes...I never have been able to "master" lancers carb tuning guide. With the 52.5 I can hear a distinct pickup in rpms past 1 turn out but they never go back down no matter how far I turn the mix screw out ( I can't physically tunr my screw out more than 4 turns. It just stops moving)so I can't really find that happy medium. Ive just settled with 2 turns out which did not cure the shutdown backfire with the stock pipe or with the SE and with the SE Im now getting a pretty burst of blue flame out the backend aswell as the backfire on shutdown. Im geussing rich but im new with carbs. Rich right? I feel like an idiot asking. So far as the jet needle, Ive got it at 1/2 spacer right now. Im gunna just ride a bit and check the plug. Feels nice as is though. Maybe go to 1/4 spacer. I get the distinct feeling no spacer would be too much and im just going to do a plug chop to check the main. There's a dandy stretch exactly 1 mi long right by my house for that little adventure.

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: More carb BS
Reply #1 - 03/26/09 at 11:38:05

With 52.5 and 2 turns out, can you use the choke now? Do you need it at all, better question?

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/26/09 at 12:03:14

I can use the choke with the 52.5. With the 52.5 nothing seems any different between the stock and SE except for the flames at shutdown.

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #3 - 03/26/09 at 12:17:17

Oh yay... This gets my REALLY excited to start messing with my carb. :-P

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/26/09 at 12:42:32

yea...its tedious. Between trying to find out why i was running rich BEFORE i got the SE and now rejetting im sick of taking off teh seat and tank. On the upside Ive had the carb out so many time I can now have it out in about 10-15 minutes. Probably could do it in my sleep now.

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/26/09 at 12:54:41

If you need the choke (need or "can use"??) you are not rich on idle. On idle only, that is. Flames were there with the stock too, you just didn't see them Smiley Too many baffles in the stock muffler.
Before going further, here's the mistake I did - I put the K&N cone, HD wide ID muffler, larger idle jet, larger main jet and reduced the washer by 1/2. All in a single sweep. Quickly I realized - it's not gonna work. I kept the K&N and muffler, but soon rebuilt the carb OEM, as it was. And then took it one step at a time. Idle jet first. Then the needle. And then main. I am still on main jet phase Wink  Change, adjust, test, test, test, then move to the next step. My 5 cents.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 03/26/09 at 13:02:06

I don't NEED the choke but my bike takes a few minutes to warm up. Always has. And the initially low idle on start up makes me uncomfortable so i have always used the choke for the first 30 seconds or so as directed by the owners manual. With the 55 the idle wasnt just slow it was borderline stalling and choke killed it instantly. I did rev it a bit to warm it up since the choke wasnt an option but the smell and small puffs of black smoke....ugh. As new to carb work as i am even i can tell the 55 is a no go.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #7 - 03/26/09 at 14:54:18

I've been running rich.  Today I switched from the #55 pilot jet with bleed holes back to the #52.5 pilot jet.  Much better idling and coming back to idle on decel.  No change in acceleration.  Idle is a little smoother.  I had to turn the mixture screw from 1/2 turn out to 1 1/2 turns out.  There is now an occasional little pop on decel.  

I think that #55 was partly responsible for my mileage dropping to 36mpg.

IP Logged
markbacon
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

New Zealand
Reply #8 - 03/26/09 at 15:05:08

Trad. method of idle circuit tuning is make sure engine's good and hot then:
  • Turn idle speed as low as it'll go without stumbling.
  • Adjust idle mixture/air screw.
  • Repeat steps one and 2 until any adjustment of mixture/air screw causes stumbling.
  • Turn idle speed back up.

BUT this won't work if the overrun bypass circuit is clagged up. There's a round cover on the side of the carb, under this is a vacuum diaphragm operating a bypass circuit. If like me you ignore this long enough the drilling in the cover that lets air in/out gets blocked and the bypass stays open when it shouldn't. Idle goes over-rich to the extent that choke isn't needed for the coldest start, exhaust blows white smoke, and you can turn the mixture/air screw in till it bottoms without making a difference.
Cleaning it - particularly the drilling in the cover - makes a big difference.

IP Logged
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #9 - 03/26/09 at 16:49:30

I'm in the same boat your in right now BurnPgh, a good fuel additive or intense cleaning was suggested to me also. I have yet to have a chance to take the next step but hopefully soon I'll know if it works. Beneficial post thanks.

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/26/09 at 17:32:36

I feel you. I have been playing with my new vm for weeks lol (mainly because I work soo much). I used a dyno jet kit. It was probably more than lancers however it was quite easy to tune. Maybe I was just lucky. Anywho, keep at it. There will always be the occasional pop on shut down. Thats just little suzi passing gas lol. I finally got my bike running, however my idle circuit is still too rich. I have gone to the lowest pilot jet I can go to on my carb. I am gonna try playing with air mixture on saturday. If I cannot get it to ilde guess what? I have to pull the darn thing for the 50th time and bleed my pilot lol. That blue flame means its lean I believe. I used to have the same issue when I did not seal my new muffler very well. Have you tried setting the needle to a more lean position? i.e. the washer on the highest part of the needle? Goodluck with your tuning, some of us have a harder time than others.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 03/26/09 at 17:32:48

Bypass circuit and in fact every nook and cranny in the carb is clean as a whistle so thats not it as far as tuning the idle mix. What I think I really need is a half step between 52 and 55. Im afraid the 52 is lean as I can turn it from 1 turn out to 4 with no slowing of the engine which means I cant really find that happy place as Ive got no "too rich" reference to turn back in from. With the 55 I could turn it all the way in and not have any slowing of the engine but when i turned it past 1 turn out it would stall out and wouldnt restart. So with either of these Ive only got 1 reference point for tuning with the mix screw. Ive kind of given up on adjusting the backfire out of the equation. Even running ungodly rich with the 55 i still had a backfire on shutdown so I've probably got tiniest exhaust leak somewhere. Ive looked. Couldnt find one but...if I cant adjust the backfire out and im not lean....Im just wondering if the flames out the tailend is a rich signal so I can take an educated geuss as to how far to turn the screw back in. So far as the 55 pilot...went from 45mpg around town to about 30. Between the smell, crappy idle, and mileage drop that was enough to convince me i was rich.

IP Logged
dr1445

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 03/26/09 at 18:17:57

maybe the 55 with a bigger airjet? that combo might give the result you are looking for.

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #13 - 03/26/09 at 18:21:14

From a quick Google search... It seems like a blue flame suggests a lean mixture. Although, the sites also said it depends on temp, when the blue flame is there, etc. Blue flame doesn't mean it's lean... and running lean doesn't mean you'll get a blue flame.

What are you running right now? I'm following the suggestions from diamond jim in what he was running with his intake/exhaust and going similar to that route.

I got the tank drained this afternoon and that was all I had time for. My moms birthday was today. :-P

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 03/26/09 at 19:04:25

52.5 pilot, half spacer (trying 1/4 tonight), 152.5 main and whatever the stock air jets are. 230 pilot and 45 main i believe. I went ahead and took another shot at tuning the pilot circuit. Its a bit better. Not a BANG even with the SE, just kind of a big fart but still has the burst of blue flame.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 08:28:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › More carb BS

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.