Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
More carb BS (Read 314 times)
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Re: More carb BS
Reply #15 - 03/26/09 at 19:32:57

Burn, my current carb setup is identical to yours except I have no spacer at all.  I removed the space a few weeks after I got the bike last summer.  Maybe a month ago I put in two washers to try it just cause so many people on here say that 2 washers was best for them.  It didn't run nearly as well.  I gave it about 2 full days of riding and yanked out the washers.  

What type of air filter are you using?

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 03/26/09 at 22:36:03

emco stock replacement

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 03/27/09 at 00:53:35

Was at 52.5 pilot at 3 turns out with 1/2 spacer. Still had a shutdown backfire with blue flames but it wasnt super loud. Not gunfire loud. Now at 52.5 at 3 turns out with 1/4 spacer. Significant gain in midrange response and power. I didn't notice much difference between 3/4 and 1/2 spacer but the 1/4 change is quite noticeable. Still no change in the friggin backfire. Turning out to 3 1/4. Maybe that'll dull it down to less than irritating.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #18 - 03/27/09 at 05:37:25

There are two elements you can tune for best performance- fuel delivery and airflow.  If you've taken the airbox out, try experimenting with some tubing between the filter and carb.  It'll help the carb develop more vacuum which will pull more fuel up through the pilot jet at lower rpms.  This should richen the mix to get rid of the backfire and give you noticeably more low end response and power to match your midrange gains.  Right now you are trying to compensate for the insufficient vacuum at low rpm by adjusting the mixture screw.  When I did my tube my mixture screw went back in until it was only 1/4 to 1/2 turn out for best overall performance.  One full turn out and idle would start to drop and 1.5 turns out the engine would start to stumble.  The tube really woke my bike up .  The LS650 is well known for it's torque. With the tube you are basically recreating the stock air path setup that gives the bike it's famous low end torque.  Then you have the benefit of a freer flowing pod filter sitting in the open air for midrange and high rpm.  Just about any tube will help.  Tuning the tube though will maximize the performance.  Combined with your SE muffler it will give you lots of grins!

IP Logged
Zylar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 03/27/09 at 06:24:02

What altitude are you at BurnPgh?  I like to pull my plug to get more mix info, have you tried that yet?  What color is it?

I'm also a fan of Dasch's method, tune each mod before moving on to the next.  Lotsa work, but may be the most reliable way.

My moms savage has been modded, and we have all sorts of problems tuning it properly.  Mine is stock, and just runs great day in and out.  Her bike seems just slightly faster than mine, not enough to warrant the tuning woes, imo.  I may try Jim's Kamikaze Intake, the ROI on that one just looks too good to pass up (btw, thanks for all the effort Jim, and all the others who make this place so great), but also easy to undo if I don't like it.  

Good luck,

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #20 - 03/28/09 at 20:50:42

In the pic below, what do the parts numbered 31, 32 and 33 do?

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 03/29/09 at 00:12:31

Transient enrichement valve. It's in the Clymer. Richens the mix temporarely during longer decceleration. Why? Beats me.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #22 - 03/29/09 at 06:43:05

dasch wrote on 03/29/09 at 00:12:31:
Transient enrichement valve. It's in the Clymer. Richens the mix temporarely during longer decceleration. Why? Beats me.

Aha. Thanks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 10:46:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › More carb BS

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.