Send Topic Print
How critical? (Read 167 times)
littlefights

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

How critical?
03/25/09 at 12:37:18

I'm still a noob, so bear with me.

I've managed to spring a leak in one of my front forks.  It doesn't seem like a large leak but its definitely noticeable.  I rode a bit today but didn't seem to notice any performance or handling problems.  Basically, I need to know how critical this is and how soon I need to fix it.  I won't have time to work on it myself for a couple of weeks at least, but I can get it into a shop in the next day or two.  Will I still be able to ride (mostly short trips to and from work) with the leak for a week or two without too much trouble or damaging anything else?

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Re: How critical?
Reply #1 - 03/25/09 at 12:53:48

I am still sort of new at this myself.  I bought an 87 that had both forks leaking when I got it.  I also did nto notice any handling issues.  I did notice that the oil eventually sprayed onto my pants legs.  I got mine fixed fairly quickly, but having to order parts and wait for them to come took a week or so.  I continued to ride until i could get mine fixed.

Also, there is a thread in the tech section I am sure about how to fix them yourself.  We did not do all of that exactly, we took the tubes lose from the triple tree, pried the wipers out, drilled into the seals and uulled them out with a screw.  The we dumped out the old oil and put it all back together.  That is a simple explaination.

Mike

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #2 - 03/25/09 at 12:58:31

If your forks are a leaking... you need to get them fixed... Ive heard horror stories of taking bike up to speed with low or no oil in the forks... created a wobble... and down goes the bike!

"You are the choices you make in life..... I choose to Play Hard.... Ride Hard.... or Die Hard!"
Chopped BullChopped   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #3 - 03/25/09 at 13:01:10

You are looking at two problems.  First, the leaking oil can run down the back of the fork and onto the front brake caliper.  When that happens you'll suddenly lose about 2/3 of your braking ability.  Second, when it completely dries out, at some point shortly after that the bushing surfaces that allow the fork halves to slide will seize.  So, yeah, I'd consider it critical.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #4 - 03/25/09 at 13:09:49

I was very lucky then. Before I put on the girder front end, my fork seals were leaking, I just wiped it off and kept riding. I would NOT recommend doing what I did though because of the safety issues involved. So yes, fix as soon as you can.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
littlefights

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/25/09 at 13:30:58

Thanks for the info guys.  I thought it could have some significant handling issues but I didn't even think about it affecting the brakes.  

Frankly, I'd love to tackle this myself but I think it might be just beyond my mechanical skills at this point, especially considering I'd be working on it in the back parking lot of my apartment complex.  The Clymer's manual makes it seem like a fairly involved process.  I'll check out the tech section (thanks for the tip) and see if that looks any easier. Otherwise I guess I'm off to the shop.  I was quoted $125-150 for parts and labor - does that sound right?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 03/25/09 at 13:33:45

so, how bad is the leak?

If it's bad enough to see a continuous line of oil down the fork, I say it's critical.

If it's mearly a drip then I would say you should be able to wait for parts, as long as you still have oil in the forks.

Replacing the seals, if you do the full disassemble, will take about a day, but not hard wrenching.  But only a couple of hours if you've done it before, had all the tools.

WWW   IP Logged
littlefights

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/25/09 at 19:22:12

The leak isn't terrible.  I went on vacation for a week and when I came back there was a stain maybe 4 inches across under the fork.  I can see oil on the upper part of the fork and where dirt has adhered to the oil on the back of the fork but I don't see an active leak or drips.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 03/25/09 at 19:26:08

Order your parts, I think you can wait.

WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #9 - 03/25/09 at 22:12:26

where are you there may be a fellow savager near that can help...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
littlefights

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 03/26/09 at 10:03:46

I'm in Indianapolis.  Anyone near here?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 00:28:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How critical?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.