Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Adjusting Gearshift Lever (Read 200 times)
ArielT
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Adjusting Gearshift Lever
03/24/09 at 01:56:27

Hey, I just bought a 1998 Savage as my first bike.   It has a highway bar on the front that makes it difficult for me to get my foot under the shift lever.  I know on most bikes it is possible to adjust this fairly easily.  Could someone either explain how this is done, or point me to where the information can be found?

As a sort of side note, the Austin area Suzuki dealers seem to have generally poor ratings.  I would really like to get a professional to look it over, at least to start.  Don't suppose any locals know of a good place to go?

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Re: Adjusting Gearshift Lever
Reply #1 - 03/24/09 at 02:47:58

Ok it's middle of the night, and I can't find the post either. It may be in the technical section somewhere. Anyway, there is a linkage rod about 5 or 6 inches long, running from the shifter to the gear box. It has a nut on each end of the rod (think they're 10mm). Loosen the nuts and turn the rod (one of the nuts is reverse threaded). As you turn the rod, you'll notice the shifter moving up or down. Simply achieve your desired level, then tighten the nuts. Ride safe.
Oh, definately recommend getting a Clymer's.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reply #2 - 03/24/09 at 06:44:42

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
Mortation

Reply #3 - 03/24/09 at 06:49:13

Adjust to your hearts content it doesnt make much difference.  The darn thing needs to be bigger plain and simple.  It needs the shaft to be longer and the rubber knob part that sticks out needs to be longer too.  I am not a big dude, size 9.5 work boots and it is VERY uncomfortable to shift and I have tried every different position I can think of.

1988 LS650 - Candy Apple Red w/ Ghost Flames, Harley muffler, S40 seat, white spacer Mod, #55 pilot, #155 main.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 03/24/09 at 08:58:02

If the adjuster doesn't give you enough room, you can take the arm off the gear shifter shaft (side of engine) and move it a few splines.  then readjust the adjuster.....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
ArielT
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/04/09 at 16:56:18

So...  I've tried to tinker with things, but I can't seem to rotate the shift rod.  It finally occurred to me that the shift rod is bent, maybe deliberately, maybe not.  It almost seems intentional, since the other parts aren't facing directly towards one anther.  I have a suspicion one of the previous owners may have gotten a bigger shift rod and bent it to get the desired length.  I could take a picture of it if I'm not making sense here.

Anyway, do I have to take the darn thing apart if I want to adjust the shift lever?

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 04/04/09 at 19:38:49

Did you loosen the locking nuts.  And, one side is std thread the other is left hand  thread (turns backwards to loosen).

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
vargas

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/04/09 at 20:18:56

the rubber boot on my shifter is shredding from the outside in.my bike is just a year old and i saw the rubber peeling off grove by groove whn i got to work today. i wanted to make a horseshoe shaped under / over shifter , but the feedback was mostly negative. sliding my boot under the stock shifter is wearing out the rubber.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #8 - 04/05/09 at 06:17:33

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 03/24/09 at 08:58:02:
If the adjuster doesn't give you enough room, you can take the arm off the gear shifter shaft (side of engine) and move it a few splines.  then readjust the adjuster.....

T-Mack is right on the money with his answer.  Between FC and modding the footpegs, I've had to adjust mine a few times.  It's much easier, IMO, to move rotate it on the spline than to mess with the rod.  I do the rod only as a fine tune if needed but usually it's not needed.  I don't know the measurements but I'd say rotating one notch on the spline moves then end of the shifter maybe a 3/8".

IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #9 - 04/05/09 at 08:58:52

diamond jim wrote on 04/05/09 at 06:17:33:
T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 03/24/09 at 08:58:02:

It's much easier, IMO, to move rotate it on the spline than to mess with the rod.  I do the rod only as a fine tune if needed but usually it's not needed.  I don't know the measurements but I'd say rotating one notch on the spline moves then end of the shifter maybe a 3/8".

Usually shifter arm's supposed to be aligned close to 90 degrees in relation to shaft. That way back and forth shifter rod movement should give shortest shift throw and 'feel'. I use the adjustment if there's one, although rotating it by one spline didn't hurt on old bikes with levers directly at the end of shifter shaft.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #10 - 04/05/09 at 11:04:32

You're right.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home