Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
custom longshot exhaust sound file (Read 481 times)
Big Nix

Screw dieing of
natural causes.

Atlanta, GA
Re: custom longshot exhaust sound file
Reply #15 - 03/24/09 at 14:57:28

diamond jim wrote on 03/24/09 at 14:20:57:
Dasch, what kind of muffler is that? It doesn't look tapered like the HD.  

Gary, my ADHD won't let me leave my bike alone!

A flap on the end would work but I don't think it would sound very good.  Having some hollow open pipe after the baffle/butterfly is what helps develop the deeper tone.  

Gary, I used 1 3/4" pipe.  The muffler guy had to spread the end open a little to fit over the header.  Simon (Simontuffguy) just had one made.  Him noted that another person standing 15 feet behind his bike could feel the exhaust when Simon drove off. I noticed that, when idling in the yard, I can see the grass 7-8 feet away being blown by the exhaust.  

For the cutting, while the pipe was on the bike but cold, I put blue painter's tape on the section I wanted to cut off making sure my bottom and top points lined up correctly.  The edge of the tape was my cut line.  That way I knew the point would be precisely at the top when the bike is standing up.  I took the pipe off and I drilled 1/8" holes about every 1/4" along the edge of the tape (which marked my cut lines).  I secured the pipe to the workbench and used a hacksaw to cut basically along the line of drilled holes.  It kept me lined up and having drilled all the holes left less metal to have to hacksaw.  I hit the cut edges on the grinder a bit then smoothed the edges with a hand file.  

Riding a friends V-Star 650 today.  Last week I spent a good bit of time on a Honda VTX 1800 and a V-Star 1100.  All being cruisers, it made me realize just how much faster and more fun my bike is to ride than all of them.  Mine is also roomier than both V-Stars and about equal to the VTX.  I wouldn't trade mine for them.  It's a helluva lot more fun!

Yah I'm putting a straight pipe on mine too, just had to go back and get another one made up didn't have the flair put in the first one so it wouldn't fit over the header, duh  Tongue.  That and i had him put a 10 degree bend in it after the flair so it wouldn't run into the end of the bike.  That and I really like the idea of drilling a bunch of holes in the pipe before you cut it makes sense cause i sat there and cut the tail pipe straight through with a hack saw, and i was sweating like a sleeper in church after i got done.  And how much of difference in sound did you get with the slash cut?  I should have my pipe by like tommorrow but we'll see, the guy said he was busy don't think it takes that long to cut one pipe and put one bend in it, but hey not my shop.

Courage is being scared, but still sadeling up and riding out.
Big Nix   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #16 - 03/24/09 at 15:03:34

Nix, if your pipe goes past the axle you'll find that it blows a lot of air and also sucks in some air as well.  The "burble" sound on decel with the long pipe is pretty cool.  However, I wanted to see if a slashcut would shape the sound some.  It does by having a larger opening for when the air gets sucked in.    

IP Logged
Big Nix

Screw dieing of
natural causes.

Atlanta, GA
Reply #17 - 03/24/09 at 16:46:50

Ah okay well that makes sense I told the guy to make mine 30" and that includes the 2" or so that'll go on over the header so it'll be about another foot or so longer than the stock so we'll have to see what it sounds like when i get it on there I'll post some pics and we'll have to see if I decide to slash cut the end again or not, that was a crap load of work.

Courage is being scared, but still sadeling up and riding out.
Big Nix   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #18 - 03/24/09 at 19:05:24

Big Nix wrote on 03/24/09 at 16:46:50:
Ah okay well that makes sense I told the guy to make mine 30" and that includes the 2" or so that'll go on over the header so it'll be about another foot or so longer than the stock so we'll have to see what it sounds like when i get it on there I'll post some pics and we'll have to see if I decide to slash cut the end again or not, that was a crap load of work.

No, I'm not saying the pipe shouldn't go past the axle.  It should.  That long pipe does two things well.  One, it allows the exhaust to develop better momentum and clear the pipe better, and two, it gives the exhaust an awesome sound.  Mine is 31.5" long at the tip.  Don't cut your pipe shorter.  What I'm saying is that once the pipe gets to the axle or longer, the "burble" sound is more noticeable.  I like that "burble" sound.  I think it's cool.  I've gotten used to it and wanted to experiment with the slashcut.  I was reading earlier about how different openings shape the sound differently.  

If you can record the exhaust please do.  My recording isn't bad but it didn't capture the lows and occasional raspy sounds that make it sound so unique.  Maybe you've got something that can record it better.  

IP Logged
Wolf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 03/24/09 at 19:31:44

I'm lost!  Undecided  Seat, muffler, battery... my head is just spinnin  hohoho!

This is great shtuff here!

Thanks guys!

Wolf  Smiley

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 03/25/09 at 07:03:49

DiamondJim, this was originally HD Dyna or Road King, straight pipe, with baffle. I shortened it by about 2 inches, packed with glass wool around the inner pipe and had the aluminum cap machined to hold everything in place.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #21 - 03/25/09 at 07:23:03

Dasche, any way you can make a recording or it?

For those of you making and installing a DIY longshot exhaust, don't forget about the exposed cables and rear brake cover boot that are located in the area near pipe by the swing arm pivot bolt. In stock form, the stock muffler has internal and external walls and, as a result, heat is not a big problem to these wires/boot cover.  The DIY longshot does not.  I don't know for sure if the extra heat would be a problem for the wires/boot but I didn't want to take any chances.  I made a heat shield that sits between the pipe and frame.  It's made from aluminum.  I shaped it to follow the lines of the frame and swing arm and I polished it to match the lower engine.  I used 3 mounting bolts that have the same size bolt head as the clutch cover bolts so it blends in.  

Another alternative is to wrap that 10-11" area of the pipe with exhaust wrap then cover with a chrome heat shield.

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 03/25/09 at 10:31:12

Not sure what you mean by recording of it? The youtube link I posted above, if you wait a 30sec and crank up the volume has a pretty good capture of what it sounds like. Deep, bassy thump thump thump. Let me know what you want, I can reinstall the battery and record something specific if you want.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #23 - 03/25/09 at 11:04:40

dasch wrote on 03/25/09 at 10:31:12:
Not sure what you mean by recording of it? The youtube link I posted above, if you wait a 30sec and crank up the volume has a pretty good capture of what it sounds like. Deep, bassy thump thump thump. Let me know what you want, I can reinstall the battery and record something specific if you want.

Oops, that's right.  Nevermind!  Did you have to get video stuff/software to convert if to digital format?

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #24 - 03/25/09 at 11:38:10

Do you have a closer shot of the "heat shield" fabrication piece you made?

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #25 - 03/25/09 at 11:48:33

SimonTuffGuy wrote on 03/25/09 at 11:38:10:

I'll take some this afternoon and post.

IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #26 - 03/25/09 at 14:31:19

Jim,

What did you end up baffling you pipe with?  Did you buy one?

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #27 - 03/25/09 at 14:47:46

Gary On A Savage wrote on 03/25/09 at 14:31:19:
Jim,

What did you end up baffling you pipe with?  Did you buy one?

I initially bought one and modded it.  Then I made one.  I found a steel pipe at a flea market with a wall thickness just a touch thinner than exhaust pipe steel and it slides into the pipe snug.  Instead of the usual design with a bunch of little triangular tabs pushed into the center, I did 10 large tabs spaced about an inch apart.  The pipe had a slightly narrowed section on each end. The front end is mounted in a steel pipe coupler with the inflow side tapered and center hole of 1.25".  Essentially it acts like a tuned back pressure cone.  The cone is really the only thing that provides any back pressure.  The back end of the baffle is wide open.  Imagine welding 10 progressively opposing triangles inside the pipe and that's what my baffle is like.  It's mounted just after the 10 degree bend in the pipe.  I didn't take a pic of it when I made and installed it.  But it looks like this:

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 03/25/09 at 20:21:01

I used my mobile phone to record, than downloaded some free converter to convert file to .avi format.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #29 - 03/27/09 at 08:09:31

SimonTuffGuy wrote on 03/25/09 at 11:38:10:

Here's a pic on my puter already.  The white square spot on the inside heat hield is a reflection of the light colored strip of header wrap underneath the exhaust heat shield clamp.  I've since replaced it with a black piece.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 06:21:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › custom longshot exhaust sound file

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.