Send Topic Print
Valves a tappin (Read 231 times)
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Re: Valves a tappin
Reply #15 - 03/25/09 at 06:11:21

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 03/25/09 at 06:04:21:
So I wonder what you think of a person that buys the bike with the engine in pieces, in boxes and the bolts in a plastic tub....  ((except the head bolts which were stuck in a pieces of cardboard...))  Roll Eyes

I'd say the only tools YOU needed for assembly was a paper clip and chewing gum wrapper, T Mackgyver!

IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #16 - 03/25/09 at 07:45:45

Don't forget a little duct tape and an avacado seed!

"You are the choices you make in life..... I choose to Play Hard.... Ride Hard.... or Die Hard!"
Chopped BullChopped   IP Logged
SuziQ

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oshawa, Ontario Canada
Reply #17 - 03/25/09 at 20:02:33

Chopped wrote on 03/23/09 at 15:37:22:
Had some strange noise been coming from the top end so I decided to adjust the ol' valves! Pretty sure I did it right... couldn't get the timing inspection pulg out so I just took off the side cover. Figured out the TDC for the Intake... and went to it! on I couldn't get a .002 in and one of my exhaust was .006. I got them all .004. Now to see how it sounds... Oh, I adjust the cam chain too! came out 1 click on the tensioner... tightened her right up. now I need to reassemble and take her for a ride. Will repost when I have news, either good or bad!

I removed the timing inspection plug by fabricating a key from a flat round washer.  Started out with close fit slightly oversize and filed and chamfered for a perfect fit into the keyway.  Even then it was so tight I had to grasp the washer with a large "C" clamp and shock it loose with a hammer.  It sits on a rubber "O" ring at the bottom of the threads.  Now I just torque it up finger tight with a fibre electrical washer.  Never a scratch but take care the aluminum is so soft.

IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #18 - 03/25/09 at 20:37:28

Ok... Ok... took the head off earlier... No metal shaving...warped areas... but a huge amount of carbon build up... So good news is no new piston needed... but I think I will have to do some more fabricatin.... one of my bolts that holds the head cover on.... stripped! darnit!

"You are the choices you make in life..... I choose to Play Hard.... Ride Hard.... or Die Hard!"
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 03/25/09 at 21:44:00

Check all the bearings, main, rod, and wrist pin.
Spin the crank and check how they feel.

WWW   IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #20 - 03/26/09 at 08:14:59

Everything felt smooth, but when I looked at the cam chain tensioner... it had an oval groove on one side and obvious marks on the tensioner housing were the tensioner had came out to far and started eating away at the edges.... if that makes sense... Will post a pic later when I get off work!

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 08:32:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Valves a tappin

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.