No Guts no Glory (Read 298 times)
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
No Guts no Glory
03/22/09 at 17:47:25

Took her out today for the first time this year.
Started first try,I run it for four minutes to warm it up,as soon as I hit the road it has no guts ,seems to go flat on me,best I could do was 45 mph in 5th with the throttle full open.
In neautral it seems to run right up to peak revs but wont do it through the gears, any ideas guys??

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: No Guts no Glory
Reply #1 - 03/22/09 at 17:57:14

Is the choke on?  
Did you put anything in the gas before storage and if so what?

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #2 - 03/22/09 at 18:03:28

Sta-bil, choke working fine

mickrowe37   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #3 - 03/22/09 at 18:53:04

Air filter may have absorbed moisture over time.  Moisture has a tendency to kind of lock all the fibers together.  In neutral with no load it revs fine.  But with a load, and real air demand, poor airlfow would cause similar problems.  Poor airlfow also won't pull much gas up through the jets.  

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #4 - 03/22/09 at 20:46:16

diamond jim wrote on 03/22/09 at 18:53:04:
Air filter may have absorbed moisture over time.  Moisture has a tendency to kind of lock all the fibers together.  In neutral with no load it revs fine.  But with a load, and real air demand, poor airlfow would cause similar problems.  Poor airlfow also won't pull much gas up through the jets.  

It's been in the house so no moisture,I cleaned out the air filter (K & N) and recharged it a few weeks before putting inside.
I guess I could drain the fuel and put in some fresh,but the sta-bil did not efect it last year, I'm at a loss.??

mickrowe37   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #5 - 03/22/09 at 21:05:48

On the assumption it ran OK last fall when you put it away...Two things I'd try. One, fuel petcock to Prime, just to make sure you don't have a problem there. Then I might try removing the air filter and giving it a short run that way. If it started as you say on the first try, there likely is no difficulty with the ignition.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 03/22/09 at 21:38:40

Sta-bil.....thinking......way back.....click.....
Last year....bing...sta-bil

Last year someone had the same sort of problem.
Take all that fuel and pour it into your neighbors car.
Every last drop, tank, lines and bowl.
If I remember correctly, the sta-bil settled in the bowl and caused issues that went away with fresh gas.

WWW   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #7 - 03/22/09 at 22:13:50

verslagen1 wrote on 03/22/09 at 21:38:40:
Sta-bil.....thinking......way back.....click.....
Last year....bing...sta-bil

Last year someone had the same sort of problem.
Take all that fuel and pour it into your neighbors car.
Every last drop, tank, lines and bowl.
If I remember correctly, the sta-bil settled in the bowl and caused issues that went away with fresh gas.

Thanks Vers,I shall try that first thing in the morning,well maybe the second thing,after my tea and toast. I will let you know.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #8 - 03/23/09 at 06:47:40

Verslagen, any idea who had that problem? I find it interesting to think a gas additive, said to prevent problems with gas in storage, might actually cause problems.

I will quote part of an article in the April 2009 Motorcycle Consumer News dealing with gasoline deterioration.

"As I understand it, the problem is fuel separation. The oxygenating compounds being used in the gasoline are the primary culprits and not the alcohol (ethanol or methanol). The oxygenates and octane enhancers either separate or evaporate quickly, leaving the gummy, jet blocking and float sticking residue behind in just a few weeks' time. Traditional fuel stabilizers do not work well (if at all) with the currentr oxygenated fuels. Until a new fuel stabilizer is produced that deals with this new fuel formulation, I do not have a good solution for prevention beyond riding as often as you can and topping off the fuel at every opportunity."

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 03/23/09 at 07:50:17

I have no idea, they may even not be on the forum any more.
Most people only come in when they have problems.

WWW   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #10 - 03/23/09 at 08:59:53

Max had the same probems with both savages this spring. Only explanation is the seafoam caused some heavy ends to settle in the bottom of the float bowl as they both acted like the side was stuck, only had idle and low speed power. I was able to drive the bagger after it rode 1500 miles in theb back of the PU from WA to AZ with a dose of fresh seafom in the tank. I had the top off the tug carb twice to insure the slide was free and after I removed the float bowl and let it sit overnight it ran properly the next day. Next time I would try draining the float bowl first rather than take it off. Hope it works for you as well.  Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 03/23/09 at 09:31:04

Rode my s40 last week for the first time in a little over 4 months,charged the battery when I put it under the cover,Stays in my insulated garage attached to the house,Never gets below 35 ,put ounce of sea foam in tank when I put it away,I put it on prime started right up with out charging the battery .Ran it 50 miles it ran fine just like it ran when I put it away.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/23/09 at 10:05:52

I've had this identical problem in car engines over the years and it was always caused by fuel starvation.   The causes for fuel starvation that I have seen are:  Internally collapsed fuel lines due to alcohol blended fuels which are in every gasoline in CA., Octane booster additives collapsing the inside of the fuel lines, and just plain old internally deteriorating hoses.  I always upgrade my fuel hose to the best fuel injection hose, right away.  Its stronger than regular fuel hose, which doesn't hurt on a motorcycle that can be dropped.
Another cause I've seen is a dirty fuel filter, or in the case of the Savage, a dirty gas tank screen.

Also gas tanks with un-vented gas caps and whose vent line is clogged.  This creates a mild vacuum effect, especially on engines with no fuel pump to overcome it.  

Dirty carburetor passages restricting fuel flow.

I've had engines rev to high RPMs in neutral, but not do so in gear.  Thats because under load they needed more fuel and couldn't get it due to starvation.

Also, Stabil has a shelf life, and I've bought the product off the shelf only to find out the shelf life was expired, when I got home and read the bottle.  Perhaps once past its shelf life, it solidifies, or reacts to other chemistry in fuel to solidify or increase its viscosity.

I agree with Verslagen...I would drain all the gas out of the bike, including loosening the bolt at the bottom of the carb bowl and drain the bowl as well.  Also while you have it empty, I would replace the fuel line with fresh fuel injection hose. If that doesn't work, I would next remove the tank strainer and look at that.  This would also be a good time to look in the tank with a flashlight for signs of rust.

Tomorrow I will look in my factory shop manual and my Clymer book to see if this problem is addressed.  If it is, I will post what they say.

IP Logged
Wolf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 03/23/09 at 18:44:18

I have been hearing the ethanol addition to the gas causes the fuel system to gell.  Especially if you let it sit for even a couple months not riding...  Suzuki has a recall currently with this issue.  On what vehicles  ???  Obviously the newer ones in warranty,

Wolf

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #14 - 03/23/09 at 19:00:52

I can still get the 100% pure gas that what I use 90% of the time.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 08:25:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › No Guts no Glory

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.