Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
need to find info on sportster muffler conversion (Read 159 times)
Dee
YaBB Newbies

pa
need to find info on sportster muffler conversion
03/20/09 at 17:29:08

Hi, When I bought my bike & found you guys, there was info on the muffler conversion. I saved it to my favorites on my pc and still have it but there are no pics. I've looked for it here and can't find it! I have my muffler off and want to try out the sportster muffler to see if I like it!
I am having my son enlarge a stock gas tank and will have pics soon...just bought new rear tire, rear brakes, tightened heads, new spark plug, now just need to figure out which muffler I want on my bike & wait for some nicer weather & will be ready to ride!!
Thanks for any help!  

Thanks, Dee
  IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Re: need to find info on sportster muffler convers
Reply #1 - 03/20/09 at 21:15:02

You can search on "savage muffler" on eBay motors to see the kits.  The Harley Dyna muffler won't fit snugly, so you'll have to make your own sleeve out of aluminum can strips or something to take up the space.  You may encounter a shotgun backfire upon shutdown after the conversion, and there's a lot of advice here about minimizing it.

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
Reply #2 - 03/20/09 at 22:08:03

i get that sometimes with the Jardine. thats ok, it makes people jump  Grin

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #3 - 03/20/09 at 22:24:52

Yeah, I just looked in the tech section and saw where the pics are missing from the thread.  Someone will be along shortly to give you the deets.  I had one on mine but had to fab a mounting bracket whereas some on here mention getting a particular muffler that is a direct or nearly direct bolt on.  

BTW, anyone now how I can add my exhaust sound file to the Tech Sections TOC sound files thread.  I was just listening to them and mine doesn't sound anything like those.  I know they are pretty accurate sound files cause the stock sounded like my stock and the sportster file sounded like my sportster muffler.  I had gotten used to my new exhaust and guess I forgot just how different it sounds.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 03/21/09 at 16:37:45

If you want a little more rumble with a sporty muffler try drilling a 3/8 inch hole through the baffle. You will need a long drill to reach the baffle but it is well worth it. I ended up drilling a 1/2 inch hole in the sporty I'm running and love the results. It's kinda quite at idle but really roars at WOT.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #5 - 03/22/09 at 16:01:10

Do like Ed said.  The sporty muffler is a hollow tube with a single piece of metal in the middle dividing the length into two halves.  It makes the exhaust have to go around the metal piece through the perforated metal that makes up the tube.  Don't knock it out like I did on one of mine.  It's simply loud but doesn't sound very good, in my opinion, compared to other options.  Drill like Ed said.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 03/23/09 at 06:02:15

diamond jim wrote on 03/20/09 at 22:24:52:
Yeah, I just looked in the tech section and saw where the pics are missing from the thread.  Someone will be along shortly to give you the deets.  I had one on mine but had to fab a mounting bracket whereas some on here mention getting a particular muffler that is a direct or nearly direct bolt on.  

BTW, anyone now how I can add my exhaust sound file to the Tech Sections TOC sound files thread.  I was just listening to them and mine doesn't sound anything like those.  I know they are pretty accurate sound files cause the stock sounded like my stock and the sportster file sounded like my sportster muffler.  I had gotten used to my new exhaust and guess I forgot just how different it sounds.  

Store the file on a web-server somewhere, preferably somewhere that doesn't periodically clean house, then do a reply and paste in the URL.

I'm sort of lucky,  my previous internet service provider stopped supporting residental service, but.... the goof's forgot to turn off their personal webpages, so I get free file storage.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Mortation

Reply #7 - 03/25/09 at 06:45:28

I just wanted to chime in here real quick.  I have a sporty muffle on my bike, I got it used so the muffler came with it.

There is a reducer that connects the header to the muffler.  I recently replaced the header with a used header from a member here (THANKS AGAIN!) and when I did I noticed the numb nut did not have the reducer sealed on each end and the clamps were not the right size.  No wonder it was popping like a son of a gun on decel.

So when I put the new header on I lubed the reducer and slammed it tight inside the muffler and clamped it down so there would be a good seal.  For the other end the reducer was a tiny hair to big preventing a good seal.  This is no doubt do to the difference in metric ande standard pipes.  It couldnt mount flush to the stopper because then the muffler angle would rub against the rear brake cable.

So what I did was grab some muffler tape from the auto store, wrapped it around the base of the header twice.  Slid the reducer on to the best angle but made sure the tape created a "seal" inside it.  Clamped it down, ran it for 20 minutes and now everything is sealed up making the popping GREATLY reduced, no more exhaust leaks, and all I need to do is rejet for the perfect setup.

1988 LS650 - Candy Apple Red w/ Ghost Flames, Harley muffler, S40 seat, white spacer Mod, #55 pilot, #155 main.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 12:22:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › need to find info on sportster muffler conversion

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.